Sage X

fc1955

Reaction score
Today I tried a friends sage X 905 for the first time. What a nice rod, he has an in touch rio gold after a few casts and slowing down my stroke a little it all started to come together. I'm interested in getting an 865, does anyone have any experience with that rod for wading smaller streams.

dillon

Reaction score
There is lots of info and reviews already here on the 590 and 586 Sage X rods and pretty much all positive. The 586 shines on mid sized rivers and the 9 footer on larger streams. Your line is a good match for both rods. Do a search and read more.

Last edited:

mtbright

Reaction score
I believe we are talking about sage x 590 and 486. I have both of these rods, and both are very nice rods that are great all around rods. The 486 is amazing to cast and one of my favorite rods. Small streams the 486 has shined, I put a Ross lax on it and it seems to be a perfect fit. The rio gold or intouch gold both seemed to work well.

Matt

fc1955

Reaction score
thanks for the replies I'm interested in the 586 for a 4wt I have the g series 884 another nice casting rod. there's not a fly shop near me that carries the rod to try out. hopefully on my next trip to the WB of the deleware the fly shop there will have one.

dillon

Reaction score
thanks for the replies I'm interested in the 586 for a 4wt I have the g series 884 another nice casting rod. there's not a fly shop near me that carries the rod to try out. hopefully on my next trip to the WB of the deleware the fly shop there will have one.

Read the review on this rod by SweetandSalt on the 8 1/2 ft 5wt. sage X

Last edited:

brownbass

Reaction score
a few mailorder fly shops will let you try out rods for a short time. Trident has a program that will let you order two or three rods (I forget the limit) to compare them for a week. the information is on their site. I have used this service and it is a good way for people to get their hands on rods that would be unavailable to them otherwise.

Bill

steveid

Reaction score
I have an X 590 and I love it. Like a few other members here, I am a bit of a gear junkie and I prefer specialized rods more than all-purpose rods; meaning I would prefer to have separate rods for dry fly fishing, nymphing and streamer fishing, and the water I’m fishing might dictate a different rod in each of those three categories.

However, there are times when one rod needs to be able to do everything well, and I believe the X 590 can do that. One of the better fish I have ever caught on a dry was on the longest cast I’ve ever made for a trout, and that was with my X 590.

I always need to fish other rods to get the best comparison possible, but the feeling on the X is simply better than everything else I have tried. Flexes enough to provide a lot of feel, recovers crisply, swings lightly, generates line speed when you need it. I’m happy with it. I do want an X 486 for dries, and I will probably make that happen soon.

callihan_44

Reaction score
490x here, it's my favorite rod 2 years running. I may pull the trigger on a 5 or 6 wt in the near future, I waited and waited for something that I liked better than the sage one....then the x came out and it has been pure joy

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Read the review on this rod by SweetandSalt on the 8 1/2 ft 5wt. sage X
I can't find it to direct the OP to...so, in brief: Whenever Sage introduces a new flagship series, I like to get one as fast as I can. I love ONE in trout sizes and have 2, so an HD replacement, how cool will that be, I thought. X's turned out to be very different from ONEs and I cast X in 9'/#'s 5, 6 and latter 8 and due to my love for 8 1/2'/#4 ONE, I cast X in 8 1/2'/#'s 4 and 5. Leaving the excellent 8-weight aside, which I look forward to cross-casting with its newer yet Ignitor sibling, they were all good but different. The 9' and 8 1/2' rods are surprisingly different in taper and subsequent feel. The 9'/#5 is a huge hit for Sage and they are selling lots of them to rave reviews, it is light and potent with remarkable recovery, particularly as it flexes perceptibly deeper than ONE. Maybe it is that more pronounced flex up front but I don't feel as connected to the tip as I do with ONE, it feels more distant and even heavier to me but this could be a familiarity, learning curve issue as these are not simple fly rods but posses hidden, to be learned, attributes. The two 8 1/2' rods though jumped out at me instantly as uniquely special. I dominantly fish 9'/#5's and have since RPL back in the mid 80's but before that rod I fished an 8'9"/#5 Orvis and before that an 8 1/2'/#5 Scott which was long my favorite. Casting the Sage X in this size took me back but the X is far superior to my antiquated Scott. I had to have it and now, after two full seasons with it, I like it even better than I initially did. It is my go to medium size river rod but has the touch for smaller creeks too and the guts for a big river...I just have other rods tailored to those waters.

As Sage came out with X, Nautilus introduced their FWX replacement, X. So I have a black Nautilus Xm loaded with RIO IT Gold and a 16' Braided Butt leader rigged for 8 1/2'/#5 X and it is one stellar outfit.

This fish is not laying on the grass, the grass is covered with water as this stream was a bit over its banks in this Western season's high water, so, I'm keeping it wet.

W18 061 Rainbow Trout s.jpg

el jefe

Reaction score
The descriptions of the X make it sound a lot like a ZXL, even though I am aware that the Mod is ZXL's offspring. I may have to try this X.

Never mind...I don't need another fly rod. But you guys make it sound tempting.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I've never owned a ZXL nor cast a MOD, though I'm acquainted with a fellow who swears by MOD. Besides potential overlap in performance and intent, fine rods have diversity of personality and this 8 1/2' X is uniquely special.

el jefe

Reaction score
I've never owned a ZXL nor cast a MOD, though I'm acquainted with a fellow who swears by MOD. Besides potential overlap in performance and intent, fine rods have diversity of personality and this 8 1/2' X is uniquely special.
You're not helping, Richard!! LOL!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
You know el, though I can't help participating in them, I'm not a fan of the "why do rods cost so much" threads. I genuinely know that many modest priced rods are vary capable and I use a number of such rods appropriately. What is hard to explain is that rods that emerge from the creativity of our best designers like Siem, Rajeff, Bartschi, Crostin and some new up-coming, younger designers and built to no-compromise standards and refined in the field by trusted friends of the makers are imbued with characteristics beyond mere weight and performance traits. The personality and vison of the artists responsible are there to be unleashed by the angler with the sensitivity and experience to perceive it. Though you can't test one or buy one in a shop, the reason a number of Forum member have waxed poetically about Akos's Stickman rods is his vision is right up front to be recognized in his excellent fly rods. Similarly, this 8 1/2'/#5 X I've commented upon so much is a subtly complex rod that goes way beyond being merely a good caster, it is a multi-dimensional manifestation of creative design.

myt1

Reaction score
Until a few weeks ago I used to think you guys were full of it when you waxed and waned poetic about a fly rod.

But recently I was fishing on a well known river in Colorado and I met an angler who exuded a love and mastery of fly fishing I will never come close to achieving; and I have no doubt he had the skills to appreciate even the subtlest of nuances of a fly rod. Interestingly, he was fishing an H3. He was definitely a 1%'er.

After watching him I realized there is definitely small number of anglers that can be the beneficiaries of the latest and greatest in fishing equipment design in a real fishing sense, not just a status sense. I just wish I was one of them.

Of course this didn't stop me from hating this guy. We were standing several feet apart fishing the same run and he couldn't reel in the fish fast enough, while I only managed one fish. I was too embarrassed to tell him I snagged mine.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
myt1, Just keep on fishing with and open mind and continuously learning and over time you may well fish finer than that fellow. It takes time. I've been serious about fly fishing for over a half century now and I learn new stuff and have surprising realizations all the time. There are a few forms of angling, a single floating fly on smooth but complex current river and tropical flats are my two arenas, that emphasize pure casting. Where an inaccurate, hard landing, clumsy splash is game over and you consider every aspect of the cast and presentation before lifting your rod is where your intimate connection to a carefully tuned outfit is realized. And it is not always appropriate or necessary. In a couple of weeks we'll fly to Florida to visit an aged relative and I'll carry on a tube with two clunky 9-weights, perhaps an Albright XX and an ECHO for tossing big weighted streamer flies on heavy tippet in some canal or park lake. There would be no advantage or extra fun in bringing our most sophisticated bonefish/permit outfits for this application.

As far as a fly rod as a status symbol, this is nothing that would ever have occurred to me, like who is paying attention? Over our month long Idaho/Montana trip this season I was entrusted to fish one of only three existing examples of Sage's yet to be released Ignitor as a tester I could write about upon its July introduction (which I did). That could be construed, I imagine, as a status symbol but I spent ever day I was in the proximity of other fly fishers striving to hide/disguise what I was fishing. Actually only one astute angler in a fishing access parking lot said, "Hey what rod is that, it looks like a Sage but I've never seen that color?" I demurred and commented it was just some old prototype and declined to have him take a closer look.

el jefe

Reaction score
As far as a fly rod as a status symbol, this is nothing that would ever have occurred to me, like who is paying attention? Over our month long Idaho/Montana trip this season I was entrusted to fish one of only three existing examples of Sage's yet to be released Ignitor as a tester I could write about upon its July introduction (which I did). That could be construed, I imagine, as a status symbol but I spent ever day I was in the proximity of other fly fishers striving to hide/disguise what I was fishing. Actually only one astute angler in a fishing access parking lot said, "Hey what rod is that, it looks like a Sage but I've never seen that color?" I demurred and commented it was just some old prototype and declined to have him take a closer look.
I think a fair number of people do. Orvis at least seems to believe so, hence the large white label on the new H3. It doesn't matter to everyone, to be sure, but conspicuous consumption knows no bounds.

mka

Reaction score
For those status seekers of fly rods...don't go where I've been the last couple of days. No one will see what is in your hand...