Happy Birthday to Me

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Since I have been confined to the house all summer, I decided to reward myself with a new outfit to use when I can get back on the water
One of these arrived today, along with a Galvan T-5 to pair it with.
IMG_0482.jpg

I went to friend's fishing camp to cast it and while I was rigging up I saw this
IMG_0481 (2).jpg
It's hard to tell scale in the photo but that hopper is about 2 1/2" long
They are common around the waterfront down here but nothing eats them
On breezy days they are blown into the water frequently and are seen swimming
but they go unharassed by fish and gulls. Apparently they are toxic.

Back to the rod. I didn't spend much time with it as I am still wearing a dressing
on my leg and didn't want to sweat too much. I was impressed by the overall
lightness of the rod and didn't feel the swing weight that others have remarked about
in their reviews. This may be because I have been using 7 & 8 wt rods all during fall through
spring. The swing weight felt more like my 8'-6" ZXL and much lighter than my 9' VXP, but
that's going by memory as I haven't fished those rods for a while,

I hit 60 ft easily with a beadchain weighted #6 redfish fly, though I was hampered somewhat by tall
bankside vegetation that kept grabbing the fly line. Also I think this rod will take some time to learn.
The line I was using is SA's Amplitude smooth infinity. I know it is on the heavy side
but this rod will see use primarily throwing streamers and lightly weighted bonefish flies
for speckled trout and small reds along with bass bugs. When it cools off and I am healed
I intend on casting it with some other 5 wt lines I have spooled, Gold, GPX and a mystery line
I considered a 5 wt bone line but this rod will see more use in the fall and winter than in summer.

This is the first Sage I have purchased while it was in current production since my Xi2s.

karstopo

Reaction score
Happy Birthday! Glad you got to do some casting. That’s a nice rod. Sounds like you are going to like it.

I saw one of those big hoppers about a week ago. I didn’t realize they are toxic.

The gulf coast weather and fishing is only going to get better as September then October rolls around. You’ll be healing up just in time for prime fall fishing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You're gonna love that Bob, I've had both the 4 & 5 weights here to try out, you are gonna like it buddy.

Happy Birthday :)

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Happy Birthday! Glad you got to do some casting. That’s a nice rod. Sounds like you are going to like it.

I saw one of those big hoppers about a week ago. I didn’t realize they are toxic.

The gulf coast weather and fishing is only going to get better as September then October rolls around. You’ll be healing up just in time for prime fall fishing.
The saying here is "That d***ed thing can swim from here to Horn Island without getting eaten". Horn Island is 10 miles offshore.
I am definitely ready for fall. Only got to cast for 15-20 minutes before I started sweating.

To everyone else, Thanks for the Birthday wishes.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
Happy birthday!

If there is just one single 5wt to own, IMHO, that is the one. You are going to absolutely love it!

el jefe

Reaction score
Since you also have a ZXL, I am curious how the X compares to the ZXL. Some of the verbiage I have read about the X suggests some similarities with the ZXL, like a ZXL with faster recovery.

sab_0010

Reaction score
Happy birthday, enjoy the new set up. Do you always buy gifts like that? If so, i'll let you know when it's my birthday :D

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Since you also have a ZXL, I am curious how the X compares to the ZXL. Some of the verbiage I have read about the X suggests some similarities with the ZXL, like a ZXL with faster recovery.
E.J. it has been at least a year since I handled my ZXL or SP 5 wts. The ZXL is 8-6, the SP is 8-9. When I first got the 590 VXP, I noticed the difference in swing weight between it and my shorter 5 wts and attributed it to the extra length. When I cast the X today I didn't notice the swing weight. I was somewhat surprised as several reviewers, Hopper Juan was one, remarked how heavy the swing weight was.It felt more like the ZXL, but I am going by memory. When I am able to spend more time outside I plan to try the other 5 wt reels I have spooled with other lines and to cast it along side my other 5s. I actually have never cast the ZXL and SP together either and have been curious how those rods compare.

Happy birthday, enjoy the new set up. Do you always buy gifts like that? If so, i'll let you know when it's my birthday :D
Sab, I buy myself those gifts because I can't convince others to get them for me. It helps that I am single and childless with no mortgage.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Went to the local baseball field this morning before it got too hot. Spent some more time casting the rod. This time the practice fly was a #8 bugger cut off at the hook bend.
I was able to hit 70' repeatedly, 75 when everything was right. It was easy to judge distance as I was standing even with first base casting back to home plate. My biggest problem
is overpowering the rod as I spend much more time with heavier rods. I got the occasional tailing loop. I still just use the Amplitude Smooth infinity. Will try more lines when
it cools off and I can stay outside longer..

karstopo

Reaction score
That’s more than enough distance for a typical redfish shot, at least over here. A baseball field ought to be prime for casting practice, manicured grounds and with known distances.

I run into the overpowering issue when I step down in weights. I like switching up rods and weights just to keep from getting into a casting rut. Yesterday, I fished the super slow 7/8 weight CGR along with my ultra fast 8/9 weight G. Loomis Short Stix.

I think I’ll bring along a five or six weight along next time. The lightest I’ve ever used in the salt here is a 7’ 4/5 weight CGR, now called the 5 weight. If the fly isn’t too heavy or bulky and the wind not ripping, I can definitely cast it to redfish shot distance.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
That’s more than enough distance for a typical redfish shot, at least over here. A baseball field ought to be prime for casting practice, manicured grounds and with known distances.

I run into the overpowering issue when I step down in weights. I like switching up rods and weights just to keep from getting into a casting rut. Yesterday, I fished the super slow 7/8 weight CGR along with my ultra fast 8/9 weight G. Loomis Short Stix.

I think I’ll bring along a five or six weight along next time. The lightest I’ve ever used in the salt here is a 7’ 4/5 weight CGR, now called the 5 weight. If the fly isn’t too heavy or bulky and the wind not ripping, I can definitely cast it to redfish shot distance.
I have gone as light as a 3 wt. Before St. Croix discontinued the Legend Ultra line they made a 2 pc 9' 3 wt. paired with a 3 wt GPX line that rod could easily cast lightly weighted #4&6 bonefish flies. Ladyfish were fun as heck. I never got a red on mine but a friend got a 17 lb Jack crevalle on his. His partner shot some video. That was the first time I actually saw the cork handle bend on a rod. Since he hooked it way up on a flat he was able to land it in 20 minutes. I have no intentions of casting to jacks with a 5 wt, but I might try a 10 lb red.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I got to fish the X for a while today. Today I was using SA's Amplitude Smooth Bonefish line that I loaded on a recently purchased Abel. I was casting a #4 black and purple clouser to the edge of some eel grass that grows along a local bayou. I was hoping for a bass or redfish, but only an ambitious bluegill took the fly.