Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 9' 7wt. Quarrow Fly rod

Blog Entries

Thumbs up 9' 7wt. Quarrow Fly rod

I purchased a Quarrow 7wt. 3 piece fly rod to replace a much more expensive rod that was broken. The rod is cosmetically the equal of the rod that it replaced. The hardware and the finish of the Quarrow rod is comparable to rods costing ten times the $60.00 that I paid for this rod. As far as performance goes it casts very well with weighted or unweighted flies. To speak to its strength at landing big fish, it is a workhorse! The rod that was broken had a retail price of $465.00 and it was snapped when I accidentally hooked a very large King Salmon while fishing for early Sockeye Salmon. I have not hooked any Kings on the Quarrow but suspect that it will handle one if that were to happen.

I live and fish in Alaska and I use my 7 weight rods for large Trout; Sockeye Salmon; and Pacific Silver Salmon. These fish can run from a two pound Rainbow to a 23 pound Silver Salmon. The Quarrow has landed over 125 large fish in the two years that I have put it to the test.

I have been fly casting since 1968 and have been collecting quality rods and reels since 1978. During the 30 years of collecting I've fished some real beauties. Famous manufacturers, fiberglass, graphite, boron/graphite hybrids, and of course Bamboo. I tell you this bit of history to convey an aura of expertise when it comes to the topics of performance and value.

Over the years I had became a bit of a tackle snob. Never would I have considered a rod that was not advertised in the major fly fishing magazines. As times changed and I became more cynical and mistrusting of mass marketing to vulnerable sportsmen and women I began to suspect that a fly rod should not have to cost over $300.00. As it turns out I have found that there are some unheralded values out there and I am very thankful to have found the Quarrow line, I own two of them!

Default Re: 9' 7wt. Quarrow Fly rod

congrats! now that you've overcome a huge barrier many don't realize exists, try wrapping your own rods on sub $100 independently offered blanks! you'll be in for another eye-opener lol

eric
    fresno, ca.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 9' 7wt. Quarrow Fly rod

Here is a thread from last year.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors