Replacement for my Sage LL

auntrout

Reaction score
I have been on a long hiatus from fly fishing and now getting back into the sport; recently retired so I have a lot more time on my hands. I currently have a Sage LL 9' 5wt and looking to find a replacement rod. Are there any rods out there that are comparable to the Sage LL. I haven't been in the market for fly fishing equipment for nearly 15 years. Thanks.

JDR

Reaction score
I do not have the advanced technique or ultimate casting skills that many others on this board have hone. But, I do own a Sage LL 4 wt. rod. When I decided to get a new rod I looked at many and chose the Orvis H2. I have not been disappointed. With all the good press surrounding the H3, I would suggest you consider the F (flex) model of the H3, or look for a good closeout sale on the H2.

jayr

Reaction score
I have been on a long hiatus from fly fishing and now getting back into the sport; recently retired so I have a lot more time on my hands. I currently have a Sage LL 9' 5wt and looking to find a replacement rod. Are there any rods out there that are comparable to the Sage LL. I haven't been in the market for fly fishing equipment for nearly 15 years. Thanks.
If you’re still fishing the same waters, why not just use what you have? Ther s not a thing wrong with an LL. I fish several of them here in TN and NC.

proheli

Reaction score
There are really a lot of choices for fly rods right now and many are excellent and you don't have to buy the newest-latest-greatest if you don't want to spend the money to be satisfied. But it would be nice to know what kind of money you are willing to spend and what catagory or rod you would prefer.

This is by no means the whole list, just what springs to mind.

0-200 budget but quality could be Redintington CT or something from Echo.
200-400 Orvis Superfine or Orvis H2
4-700 Loomis NRX-LP Orvis H2, Scott Flex, a few Hardy's, any number of top rods that were lasts years big bang model.
7-1100 Scott GS or Radian, Sage X, Loomis NRX or Asquith, Orvis H3, Winston BIII or AIR, Hardy.

This is just whats on the top of my head, I'm sure I'm pissing someone off because I am leaving out a rod they know to be a great one, but they can fill in the gaps if they like.

The main division or arguing points in Fly Fising Rods right now seems to be Feel vs. Distance vs. All Around Performance.

If you don't need to boom it out there, then an all-around rod might be the ticket. But then a guy thinks he wants an all-around rod, but then what he really fishes is creeks-mid sized rivers, so the Feel rods are all the sudden in the front of his mind.

So, Price and Catagory of of rod are a good place to start.

auntrout

Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I should have provided a little bit more detail in my original post. When I originally purchased the Sage LL, I was just getting started in fly fishing and honestly I really did not know what I was looking for or what I needed for the waters I planned to fish. I'm in California and most of my fishing is in the Eastern Sierras, so the waters are streams and what I'd consider smaller rivers. I fished the LL for about 10 years and then my hiatus from fly fishing began. Kids came and I went back to bait and lures when we went on our family fishing trips. Now I have the time to get back into fly fishing and I see all these new rods so I started thinking maybe I should be looking for a replacement for my LL. Jayr made an excellent point, since I'm mainly going to be fishing the same waters I could just stick with my LL for a while until I really figure out what I need. On the other hand, I've only ever fished with my LL and I'm wondering if a faster rod might be better. At this point I guess if I purchase a new rod I'd like to keep it under $500 because my concern is maybe what I have right now, my old Sage LL, will be hard to beat. I plan to hit my local fly shop in the next couple weeks to go try and cast a couple different rods and also plan on visiting my local casting club to possibly try some different rods at their casting pond. Thanks again for all the help.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
Knowing more about your situation, I’d recommend keeping the LL as your 5wt and picking up either a good, fast 9’ 4wt or, if you get to fish some of the literally hundreds of creeks in the area, a 3wt or even 2wt of 7’6” - 8’6” in length.

If you fish some of the lakes around there that hold large fish, a 9’6” 5wt or 6wt would be a great addition for you.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Yes, definitely keep your LL#5, perhaps simply getting a new line for it like an SA Trout or RIO Gold. After you get back into your FF game, for sure go try everything you can at club of shop to refine your perspective and make an informed decision.

weiliwen

Reaction score
Why would you ever want to stop using the LL? I think it's one of the greatest rods ever made. Sweetandsalt has an as-usual great recommendation for line; if you want to upgrade, that's the best (and cheapest!) way to go.

ibookje

Reaction score
Your rod is as versatile as a rod you’ll need. For conditions that would make fishing a. It easier might be fishing small streams with lots of vegetation or big windy lakes to look for a complementary rod. But if these conditions aren’t what you run into I’d say try several different lines.

hunter1

Reaction score
By all means. Don't get rid of your LL. People hunt for them used , and they still sell for good money. I have a lot of rods , T & T, Winston's. I still like my Sage LL the best. I have two. ;)

auntrout

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their great feedback. I was definitely rushing into it and decided to get back into the game using my Sage LL. After spending some time on my local waters and also practicing at my local casting pond, I'll be in a much better position to decide if I really still want or possibly could use a new rod, maybe something for smaller streams and creeks.

I do have another question regarding my reel. I currently have a Ross Colorado which I purchased back when I bought the LL. It is one of the early Colorado's with the small arbor. I would like to pick up a new large arbor reel and would like to keep the price below $300. I was looking at the Galvin Rush Light and the Lamson Guru but would really appreciate any other suggestions that would be a nice match with my LL rod.

Sweetandsalt also suggested going with the Rio Gold or the SA Trout line for my Sage LL. I was looking at the SA Trout line and noticed there were three SA Trout lines, the Frequency, Mastery and the Amplitude. Would one of these be better to go with my Sage rod. Thanks.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
The Frequency line has a shorter head than the others. The Mastery and the 2 amplitude lines have the same tapers, but the amplitude lines are newer technology and one is a textured line.
Some people, myself included, don't like the noise and feeling that textured lines produce. They can also be rough on your fingers.

el jefe

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their great feedback. I was definitely rushing into it and decided to get back into the game using my Sage LL. After spending some time on my local waters and also practicing at my local casting pond, I'll be in a much better position to decide if I really still want or possibly could use a new rod, maybe something for smaller streams and creeks.

I do have another question regarding my reel. I currently have a Ross Colorado which I purchased back when I bought the LL. It is one of the early Colorado's with the small arbor. I would like to pick up a new large arbor reel and would like to keep the price below $300. I was looking at the Galvin Rush Light and the Lamson Guru but would really appreciate any other suggestions that would be a nice match with my LL rod.

Sweetandsalt also suggested going with the Rio Gold or the SA Trout line for my Sage LL. I was looking at the SA Trout line and noticed there were three SA Trout lines, the Frequency, Mastery and the Amplitude. Would one of these be better to go with my Sage rod. Thanks.
I don't know anything about the Amplitude version, but the Mastery Trout has a taper that works great on medium to medium-fast rods. I use it on a newer Scott G Series, and a 476 Epic glass rod. Very nice.

jayr

Reaction score
I have 3 Sage LL’s a couple of 3 weights and a 4 weight and the line that has worked best for me is the AirFlo Super Dri Elite. Rio Gold will also work as will Cortland Modern Trout. I wouldn’t see any reason that shouldn’t work as well on your 5 weight.

hunter1

Reaction score
I have a 3 wt and a 4 wt LL. I use the Rio gold on both. Good line's. Your reel is great for your rod. I would just grease and oil it and clean if needed. For trout I only use regular size arbor reels. Only use Lg arbor reels for salt water. stick with what you have for now. Then when your ready to get another rod when the fever hit's you again. You can get a new rod and a new reel . I would go to a regular FF shop when your ready so you can try the outfit . With reels I'm more concerned about the drag's , how smooth they start up. Other than that remember they only hold the line. Get fishing. :fishing:

proheli

Reaction score
The Frequency line has a shorter head than the others. The Mastery and the 2 amplitude lines have the same tapers, but the amplitude lines are newer technology and one is a textured line.
Some people, myself included, don't like the noise and feeling that textured lines produce. They can also be rough on your fingers.
I just want to add to this that the new textured lines from SA are only 1/2 as loud and as textured as was the Sharkwave. I've got a Amp trout from one year ago, and while it makes some noise it is not hard on your fingers at all (plus no one is stripping in big streamers all day with an LL 4wt), and I have a new Amp MPX (.5 heavy) which is even less textured and quieter than the Amp Trout. The texturing is a nice way to give your self a longer cast.

mnigro

Reaction score

Large arbor reels do make a difference in line pickup but the advantage is mainly for fish that take lots of backing (lake fishing, carp, bonefish, etc) but your call. I surely can tell a difference when I swap between the two designs. I’m a Galvan fan but own Lamson too. Lamson’s are on sale 50% off nearly every year. I’d never pay full price for a Lamson because of this. Galvan are sweet. Can’t go wrong with either but I’d only buy the Lamson on sale IMO.