RL Winston retires the BIIIx

makoml

Reaction score
RL Winston has dropped the Boron IIIx line of rods from its lineup. No longer shown on the website, and available at steep discounts from several online dealers. Grab one now if you've been dreaming of owning one. I'm buying all the BIIIx 9' 6wt rod blanks I can find when they hit discount status as well.

I knew it was coming eventually, and pray they replace it with something that equals or surpasses its all around trout rod versatility but maybe a little bit lighter in physical weight.

makoml

Reaction score
And yet when I called and asked Adam that very question when the AIR first came out he told me absolutely not, that the Air 6wt would never be considered the all around western trout rod that the BIIIx is.

The AIR is the replacement. Call them and ask them if you don’t believe me. :)

timd

Reaction score
The 609 BIIIx is certainly the sweet spot in that series. Perfect for the rivers out West. Big water and big fish are its forte!
Scored one from Trident! Like I need another fly rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hambone111

Reaction score
So happy i have my 6wt 9'. perfect all around rod . mayhapse ill also look out for some of those blanks. great feeling rod. wouldn't mind a 9'4wt to replace my 8'6 Scott. as if i need another rod

coho52

Reaction score
And yet when I called and asked Adam that very question when the AIR first came out he told me absolutely not, that the Air 6wt would never be considered the all around western trout rod that the BIIIx is.
The Air came out in 2016 so it's possible that when Adam told you that it was true. Now, after the new management was brought in, there may be a new direction from those in charge.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I cast an 8 1/2'/#4 BIIIx a couple of years ago and liked it but no, I will not be buying one. It was light years better than the BIIx model of that size I only use as the example of the most disappointing rod I ever got.

el jefe

Reaction score
I cast an 8 1/2'/#4 BIIIx a couple of years ago and liked it but no, I will not be buying one. It was light years better than the BIIx model of that size I only use as the example of the most disappointing rod I ever got.
Wasn't the BIIX 8'6" 4-weight the rod deemed The Staff Of Moses? If I recall correctly, our own seattlesetters claimed authorship of that moniker. Just goes to show how different folks like different things, even though the SS twins do seem to have similar tastes. Of course, I could be all wrong about that Staff Of Moses thing, too.

I am intrigued by the 690 BIIIX, but I already have a 6-weight, which is a great all 'rounder, and I don't need to go confusing myself with multiple choices when preparing to fish.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Our fellow member and Michigan regular, burk, maintains the Staff of Moses moniker arose on the Ausable in reference to the Winston 8 1/2'/#5 (might have been the #4 or as well) WT, a Tom Morgan design. I have one of these Morgan/Winstons but my blank was built by JK Fisher and some Winstonophiles regard the Gary Loomis built WT (Winston Trout) blank as the ultimate among the long running WT line-up. Had Moses leaned on my BIIx he might well have found it a fibrillating staff, wobbling to and fro.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have sent an e-mail to a man I know at Winston about a new model or Air as the replacement to venerable BIIIx and also about what he knows about this Staff of Moses designation.

bob3700

Reaction score
Wasn't the BIIX 8'6" 4-weight the rod deemed The Staff Of Moses? If I recall correctly, our own seattlesetters claimed authorship of that moniker. Just goes to show how different folks like different things, even though the SS twins do seem to have similar tastes. Of course, I could be all wrong about that Staff Of Moses thing, too.

I am intrigued by the 690 BIIIX, but I already have a 6-weight, which is a great all 'rounder, and I don't need to go confusing myself with multiple choices when preparing to fish.
El, Jefe,

If you have a great 6 wt, 9 ft. rod then don't worry, but the BIIIx in that size was definitely one of the best they made. Just like other manufacturers have a sweet spot, this was Winstons. The BIIIx in a 9 ft. 4 wt. is an outstanding rod as well.

In my search for an excellent small stream rod, I went looking for the WT and TMF rods. Settled on the 8 ft. 4 wt. WT and have never been disappointed. One "take you back in time" dry fly rod. The TMF was a little too soft for me while the WT was just right. I have other 4 wt.s that are faster and will defeat the wind with their high line speed, tight loop casts, but none with that Winston soul.

herman35

Reaction score
Winston soul or Scott G soul... which is the genuine medium action soul?

Sent from my SM-G965F through Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My friend called me back quite quickly. Their view is if you liked WT, you have one and BIIIx had gone long in the tooth too. BIIIx is basically superseded by both Air and new Pure. His opinion is Pure is for the WT man who wants a slenderer, lighter, more modern interpretation of that sweet, medium flex, feel the load style, smaller water intended rod. Pure is also limited in sizes from truly little up to 9'/#5 while Air is a little faster (not much faster) and, due to its Nano technology, quicker recovering. Winston is extremely happy with both of these new series and Air Salt too. He said if you loved BIIIx 9'/#6, try Air Salt in that size and it will blow you away. It is my intent to try Air Salt next time I venture on one of my flats trips but it is my long held and continuing observation that Winston's sweet spot is in smaller rods for streams like the upper Ruby where they are built. I don't have on but did test the Air 8'/#4 and it is a honey.

coho52

Reaction score
We're going out to Montana (YNP and the Madison) and Idaho (Henry's Fork) early next month. On the way back, I have planned to stop at Winston so my wife can see how a fly rod is made. I'm hoping to get a chance to get a few casts with one of the Salt Airs. If I do, I'll report back with first impressions.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
When on the Fork and go to TroutHunters, ask them about these Air Salts as one of them was a field tester for it in development. They have a nice lawn to cast them on...and Asquiths and Scotts to compare them to.

wthorpe

Reaction score
We're going out to Montana (YNP and the Madison) and Idaho (Henry's Fork) early next month. On the way back, I have planned to stop at Winston so my wife can see how a fly rod is made. I'm hoping to get a chance to get a few casts with one of the Salt Airs. If I do, I'll report back with first impressions.
Taking a tour at Winston -- esp with my wife sounds like a great idea. Thanks. BUT today, i got her to buy a Winston biiix 9' 5 wt, on sale, without having to do the factory tour! i am really interested in how you arrange that. i stay in West Yellowstone about 3 months a year and this kind of thing is genuinely on my radar screen.

Then we found a real honest explosion of ants on the local lake here in W Yellowtone while walking the dog. by the time we went to get the new biiix the fish had quit. Next time.

coho52

Reaction score
Winston offers daily tours (M-F) at 11AM - just show up. If you get there early, or stay after, you can cast any rod they offer outside on their casting range.