Adding a #3 and #5 to my quiver, does this make sense?

singlehand

Reaction score
As a student living in Podunk, Northern Europe, I really don't get the chance to sample a lot fly rods. So I try to do a lot of research before buying, because I don't want the hassle of returning/reselling gear.

So far, I've aimed for even number rods and my main ones are Sage One 486, Sage Accel 691 and Fenwick Aetos 890. I feel like I've nailed it with these rods, but I'd like to add two more: a medium/slow #3 and a fast #5. Specifically, I really want a Sage Circa 379 and a Sage X 590 (moreso the former than the latter). I'm also looking at Orvis Recon, Hardy Zephrus and Loop Opti Stream as options at #5 (I do realize that these are somewhat different types of rods).

Does it make sense to aim for a quiver consisting of different weights and actions or is it all a matter of preference? Is it even possible to achieve a "balanced" quiver with one rod per weight? At this point, I'd rather have a few good rods than a ton of cheap ones. I didn't realize this until I fished my way through three cheap ones. And lastly, are there any good alternatives to the Circa as a slower, lighter #3 rod?

djb_88

Reaction score
I’ll speak only to your last question. If you’re looking for a slower action rod, try a fiberglass rod. They’re a lot of fun and I think a glass 3wt would be sweet. I’m actually in the market for one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonbo

Reaction score
My 10' Echo Shadow II 3 wt does tightlining/euronymphing well, and more traditional methods fairly adequately. It's tip-heavy, though. I had to buy the extension kit for $80 just to get the weights I needed to balance it. I understand the Orvis Recon does the traditional methods better AND is a good tight-lining rod, to boot. I don't hear about the same balance problems with it either. I'd probably go with it if I had to do it again. Also, everyone I know who has one raves about it.

brownbass

Reaction score
For your slower lighter 3 weight line you might look into the Douglas Upstream series. I hear it is really good for the money. I intend to give one a try.

Bill

silver creek

Reaction score
As a student living in Podunk, Northern Europe, I really don't get the chance to sample a lot fly rods. So I try to do a lot of research before buying, because I don't want the hassle of returning/reselling gear.

So far, I've aimed for even number rods and my main ones are Sage One 486, Sage Accel 691 and Fenwick Aetos 890. I feel like I've nailed it with these rods, but I'd like to add two more: a medium/slow #3 and a fast #5. Specifically, I really want a Sage Circa 379 and a Sage X 590 (moreso the former than the latter). I'm also looking at Orvis Recon, Hardy Zephrus and Loop Opti Stream as options at #5 (I do realize that these are somewhat different types of rods).

Does it make sense to aim for a quiver consisting of different weights and actions or is it all a matter of preference? Is it even possible to achieve a "balanced" quiver with one rod per weight? At this point, I'd rather have a few good rods than a ton of cheap ones. I didn't realize this until I fished my way through three cheap ones. And lastly, are there any good alternatives to the Circa as a slower, lighter #3 rod?
My 10' Echo Shadow II 3 wt does tightlining/euronymphing well, and more traditional methods fairly adequately. It's tip-heavy, though. I had to buy the extension kit for $80 just to get the weights I needed to balance it. I understand the Orvis Recon does the traditional methods better AND is a good tight-lining rod, to boot. I don't hear about the same balance problems with it either. I'd probably go with it if I had to do it again. Also, everyone I know who has one raves about it.
Jonbo's suggestion of a 3 wt euronymphing rod reveals the difficulty in suggesting a rod and/or answering your question. In your case, perhaps a 10 ft 3 wt, should be considered. I don't think so because the nature of your question (a medium/slow #3) suggests to me that you are considering the 3 wt for small streams and not for Euronymphing waters that you are currently fishing with your 6 wt.

So what we needed is the type of water and you plan to fish and why you feel a medium/slow #3 and a fast #5 would fit those waters. Then we can use our experience with those types of waters not only to advise you, not only whether you "need" those rods, but also on the line wts and whether the rod actions you are considering are what we are using.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
Silver, as usual, is right. We do need to know what you plan on doing with the rods in order to give informed advice.

For example, the CIRCA isn't the greatest small stream rod if you have to do a lot of technical casting such as side-arm, cross-chest, throwing darts under overhanging brush, pile casts to dance your fly in a small pillow surrounded by fast water or driving a wedge under the wind. The CIRCA is great if you fish small streams that are wide-open, fish mostly wet flies or soft hackles or have to do a lot of short-range roll casting. If you need to make the tough casts described above, a Sage Little ONE or DART is going to be a better fit, and they are just as good if not better at roll casting and swinging soft hackles.

I think a 590 X rod is about as good of a choice as can possibly be made for an all-around trout rod. I am not sure any argument can be made against it, other than someone's personal preference or brand bias.

herman35

Reaction score
In my personal opinion, in 5wt Scott radian and 3 wt Scott g2 or Sage slt if you can find them in eBay

Sent from my SM-G965F through Tapatalk

singlehand

Reaction score
I’ll speak only to your last question. If you’re looking for a slower action rod, try a fiberglass rod. They’re a lot of fun and I think a glass 3wt would be sweet. I’m actually in the market for one myself.
I've thought about this actually. Thing is, I've never casted a fiberglass rod and have no clue what to expect. Is the difference in quality among fiberglass the same as carbon rods? That is, can I get away with buying a cheap one on ebay (e.g. Maxcatch) or should I expect that quality is somewhat proportional to cost?

So what we needed is the type of water and you plan to fish and why you feel a medium/slow #3 and a fast #5 would fit those waters.
That's a very good question to which I do not have a very good answer. I like to travel to new places with few plans and fish the lakes and streams I find. So my goal is to be somewhat equipped for most conditions where trout might be found. The reason I specifically want a Circa is that I have tried it and really like it. The reason I want a short, light one is that I think a short, light rod would be nice to have for whenever I fish really small streams, which is actually my favorite type of fishing, but not something I do a lot of (my "daily" fishing is in smaller lakes). I also feel that Circa can deliver a lot of line, which, in my head, makes it a good choice for a short rod. But that might be faulty logic.

As far as the #5 goes, I want a really good and pretty versatile rod. I also feel like Accel might not be the best streamer rod, so a #5 that can do that well would be nice.

For your slower lighter 3 weight line you might look into the Douglas Upstream series. I hear it is really good for the money. I intend to give one a try.

Bill
The Upstream definitely looks like a very interesting alternative to the Circa! I see there's a #3 6-piece rod, which would be interesting to try. I dream of being able to run outside with a hip pack containing every necessity for a day of hunting trout and that requires a 6-piece.

In my personal opinion, in 5wt Scott radian and 3 wt Scott g2 or Sage slt if you can find them in eBay.
I've read a lot of good things about Scott. I frequent local auction sites and rarely if ever find them for sale. That might be an indication that they have very happy owners! I will put an alert on both these suggested models.

tcorfey

Reaction score
My general response to anyone is if you try a rod and like it than that is the rod for you, if you like the Circa then go for it.

My personal preference in a small stream 3wt rod, and in graphite would be the Orvis Superfine Carbon. After buying that rod I stopped looking for other 3wt rods. It is really exceptional in those conditions for me.

In a 5wt I have 6 different rods and each is used in different conditions. My 5wt rods vary in length and material. I will not recommend a particular rod to you in that weight because I can not limit myself to only one rod in that weight but, I will say that if your 4wt and 6wt rods are 9' in length than I would seriously consider an 8.5' 5wt rod.

singlehand

Reaction score
My general response to anyone is if you try a rod and like it than that is the rod for you, if you like the Circa then go for it.

My personal preference in a small stream 3wt rod, and in graphite would be the Orvis Superfine Carbon. After buying that rod I stopped looking for other 3wt rods. It is really exceptional in those conditions for me.

In a 5wt I have 6 different rods and each is used in different conditions. My 5wt rods vary in length and material. I will not recommend a particular rod to you in that weight because I can not limit myself to only one rod in that weight but, I will say that if your 4wt and 6wt rods are 9' in length than I would seriously consider an 8.5' 5wt rod.
My #4 is a 8'6". I originally wanted a 9'6" #6, but got a good deal on a 9'. How do you feel about a 9'6" #5 in terms of versatility etc? Would you care to list your #5 rods?

tcorfey

Reaction score
Here is my quiver if it helps...

Note that I am not a big fan of longer rods however, after getting rid of all my longer rods I have found that I have a need for a 9'6" 5wt or maybe a 6wt for indicator nymphing and streamer fishing on the lower Sacramento river in CA.

For occasional high-stick trout nymphing in pocket water I now use a couple of different length Tenkara style rods. I do not do a lot of high sticking but sometimes it is the way to go so the packability of the Tenkara rod is very useful to me and I can still have a longer rod length to reach out on the stream.

Here is what I have in 4-5-6wt (* rods I use the most)
Custom Bamboo 6' 4wt
Custom Bamboo 7'6" 4wt
Custom Graphite 7'6" 4wt
Allen Classic 8'6" 4wt
Orvis H2 tip-flex 9' 4wt *
Orvis Midge Bamboo 7'6" 5wt
JL Bradley Perfectionist Bamboo 7'6" 5wt *
Targus Gary Borger Light Touch 8' 5wt
Targus Gary Borger Light Touch 8'6" 5wt *
Orvis Battenkill Bamboo 8' 5-6wt
Orvis 99 Bamboo 8' 5-6wt *
Fenwick glass 7'6" 6wt
Orvis Recon 9' 6wt *

Regards,

Tim C.

djb_88

Reaction score
I've thought about this actually. Thing is, I've never casted a fiberglass rod and have no clue what to expect. Is the difference in quality among fiberglass the same as carbon rods? That is, can I get away with buying a cheap one on ebay (e.g. Maxcatch) or should I expect that quality is somewhat proportional t
I can’t honestly say that I’ve casted a bunch of different glass rods but I have casted rods that suck within my casting stroke compared to others that fit nicely. Short of testing the rods, though, I’d say you get what you pay for. I wouldn’t trust Maxcatch, but that’s just me and I’ve never casted one. If you have and you like them, don’t let me stop you.

proheli

Reaction score
You want a fast 5, well there are a lot of those, and a lot of good ones. If you keep dong research you almost can’t go wrong. I’d suggest picking your price point because there are going to be several nice rods all along the money ladder. Now, for a 3 wt, it goes like this.

Slow = Glass - there is a whole world of glass out there.
Med = Glass and some Graphite, like some Scotts and Winstons and a few others.
Medium Fast = Graphite,
Fast =Graphite.

The world of slow-med 3wts is vast and varied. I’d go cast some, and just keep doing research. At some point you know enough to purchase something. My 3wt glass is actually a 3/4 wt. with a touch of graphite. I can’t imagine not having a glass rod.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
singlehand, it doesn't have to make sense. If you want new rods and you have the means then get them. Trout fishing is not in my wheelhouse so I have no specifics to offer as far as rod advice.

singlehand

Reaction score
I can’t honestly say that I’ve casted a bunch of different glass rods but I have casted rods that suck within my casting stroke compared to others that fit nicely. Short of testing the rods, though, I’d say you get what you pay for. I wouldn’t trust Maxcatch, but that’s just me and I’ve never casted one. If you have and you like them, don’t let me stop you.

I've actually sampled some Maxcatch gear (mostly out of curiosity) and it's both decent and cost efficient. Their Gold line is great, their reels, at least for light rods, are ridiculously cheap and function very well, and the one rod I've tried (I paid $40 shipped) is solid, but doesn't cast as well as my other rods so it doesn't get used. It did feel way better than my old Sage Approach though (which is the only rod I've ever sold), but I didn't think I'd ever buy a rod from them again because more expensive rods are usually worth it in my experience.

However, their fiberglass rod actually has a pretty good reputation. And it seems to work well with a heavier line. So, since I already have a few reels with #4 laying around, I ordered a #3 to try it out.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

mnigro

Reaction score
Fwiw, i have a One 486 and a 590 Radian and they are different enough for me to appreciate having both. I also have a 690 XP and a 376 SLT. All of them are different enough to have their place.

If I liked nymphing a good deal, my 590 could be a 596... but I hate nymphing.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
My #4 is a 8'6". I originally wanted a 9'6" #6, but got a good deal on a 9'. How do you feel about a 9'6" #5 in terms of versatility etc? Would you care to list your #5 rods?
I fish both a 9'6" 5 weight Sage Pulse and a 10' 5 weight H3F, and let my 9' work be done by one of my two 6 weights (the other 6 is 9'6" as well.) In my opinion the 9'6" 5 weight is the most versatile trout rod I own. I fish it on huge tailwaters for 25" bows and browns, and tiny mountain streams for small brookies and wily bows. I've landed 30" carp and fiesty smallmouths with it too. It can throw floating lines, sinking lines, and long mono euro leaders and handles tiny flies with light tippets on up to size 4 streamers and small articulated offerings. I've even fished big dungeons with it a few times and done well, then next pool up clip off the streamer and heavy tippet, tie on a small adams fly with 5x and catch risers in the tail out. It's often my pick when I'm fishing on foot and want one rod to cover every situation I'll come across.

Since you have an 8'6" 4 weight and a 9' 6 weight, I think the 9'6" 5 would be an excellent offering. The Pulse 596 in particular is very good for a (comparatively) modest price, and the X 597 is the best there is that I have tried if you have enough for a premium rod. I do prefer the 10' H3 to the 10' X though...

singlehand

Reaction score
I fish both a 9'6" 5 weight Sage Pulse and a 10' 5 weight H3F, and let my 9' work be done by one of my two 6 weights (the other 6 is 9'6" as well.) In my opinion the 9'6" 5 weight is the most versatile trout rod I own. I fish it on huge tailwaters for 25" bows and browns, and tiny mountain streams for small brookies and wily bows. I've landed 30" carp and fiesty smallmouths with it too. It can throw floating lines, sinking lines, and long mono euro leaders and handles tiny flies with light tippets on up to size 4 streamers and small articulated offerings. I've even fished big dungeons with it a few times and done well, then next pool up clip off the streamer and heavy tippet, tie on a small adams fly with 5x and catch risers in the tail out. It's often my pick when I'm fishing on foot and want one rod to cover every situation I'll come across.

Since you have an 8'6" 4 weight and a 9' 6 weight, I think the 9'6" 5 would be an excellent offering. The Pulse 596 in particular is very good for a (comparatively) modest price, and the X 597 is the best there is that I have tried if you have enough for a premium rod. I do prefer the 10' H3 to the 10' X though...
I have been considering the Pulse, but ultimately felt there were were better alternatives at #5. This has a lot to do with Yellowstone's 5-weight Shootout, but I realize I probably shouldn't put too much stock into such tests.