Glass Rods for Salt??

Jcalla4

Reaction score
Anybody use fiberglass rods for saltwater fishing? Most of my fishing involves coastal species like redfish and specks, so i mostly use an 8w for just about everything. I heard that fiberglass rods dont break as easy. Wondering how much more durable they are and how do they cast in wind. Anybody got experience with them?

desmobob

Reaction score
I just picked up a 'glass rod I intend to use in the salt: A Fenwick Feralite FF85 (8.5' 7-8-9wt). Compared to the other Fenwick Feralites I use (FF75 and FF806), there is no doubt in my mind it's up to the task.

Its action and ability to throw tight loops into the wind are similar to what you'd expect from graphite rods. I'd guess if you were blindfolded, you might not realize it was fiberglass.

Tight lines,
Bob

karstopo

Reaction score
I use Cabelas CGRs quite a bit for the fish you mentioned. The 7/8 weight, unfortunately they discontinued that one, I have 2 of those and almost always carry both with me in the kayak.

The pluses are they are really good for short and medium range finesse casts to sighted fish or tight spots in structure. Another plus is when a bigger fish suddenly takes you under the boat or kayak. Fiberglass withstands those shocks much better than carbon. Any sudden lunge or thrust by a bigger fish can bust a fragile tippet, but soft glass gives a bit more margin of error than fast carbon.

The chief minus for me is the ability to handle significant wind. It's not like I can't cast the glass rods in the wind, it's just at certain wind speeds and directions casting is more difficult with glass and I do better with faster graphite in those types of conditions.

I've used the 7/8 CGR in the surf. I've used my 5/6 and 5 weight CGR, but it's more practical to run with the 7/8 most of the time.

I can cast the 7/8 for hours and not get tired. I not only sight fish, but enjoy fishing fish sign and fish holding structure. Glass like the CGR line up is very relaxing and pleasurable to cast and all other things being equal, I choose the glass over graphite every time.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
I have been using glass rods in the salt for many years. For me the attraction is the fun factor. I find that when using graphite my facial expression would be of serious determination, while my face would be all smiles while casting glass. It’s just a slower, more graceful experience fishing fiberglass rods. Some modern glass rods can punch into the wind fairly well, perform fantastic, and have bulletproof durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveid

Reaction score
The Echo BAG is a great glass fly rod, and would handle anything you want in the salt. They've recently discontinued the 9 foot BAG and now only offer the Quickshot BAG, which is an 8 foot version. If you're wanting the 9 foot, now is the time to buy.

Uncle Stu

Reaction score
I used a Fenwick FF85 for many years in the salt. I caught my first striper on fly and first coho on fly with it. Last week in AK I snapped it in half--rookie mistake. I was horsing in a big foul-hooked fish and tried to rush it. On the plus side, it only cost me $100. Honestly I don't think I'll buy another. Lately I've become a huge fan of the affordable rods in the Echo product line.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Before graphite, glass is what we used. Most of my "saltwater" fishing was actually tidal, brackish water, but I did hit the ocean surf occasionally back then. Today's glass rods are supposed to be "better" than what I started with in the late 60's. Glass generally is not as brittle as graphite, so should be more durable, but I'm sure that might depend on the specific rod. I broke the first rod I ever owned, glass of course, in a car door. I beat the **** out of it & caught many fish on it before that happened. :)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Interestingly, there is something in-between. A graphite rod built with fiberglass scrim. For weight and action purposes most better contemporary fly rods feature moderate modulus graphite tape would around the mandrel then overlaid with the power and action inducing longitudinal flags of graphite fiber. However, until GLX and SP of the 90's most earlier graphite rods employed fiberglass scrim for durability and hoop strength. My old Vermont built Diamondbacks were so constructed and great casting more indestructible rods may never have been built. OK, they are a little heavy but most of us can handle it. Albright's salty XX series were similarly constructed and though I broke a few Albright EXS rod, never a Double X. The old Sage RPLX(I)rods too had fiberglass scrim. If one came across a Diamondback "Stu Apte" Signature series rod, buy it.

karstopo

Reaction score

This is a 10# red that I got with the middle CGR rod in the photo, one of my 2 7/8 weight CGRs. It was plenty of rod for the fish. I guess if I was regularly getting fish 2-3 times that size, I might want something a little bumped up in weight.

Since the OP’s location is listed as Louisiana, I think one of the shorter fiberglass rods would be right as it’s unlikely from what I know of Louisiana that there will be a lot of wade fishing. If you look at my photo, all three rods are 7’ 6” models, the one graphite rod is the G.Loomis Short Stix, and those lengths or a little longer are nice when fishing standing from boats or kayaks. A 9’ 8 weight fiberglass rod will swing heavy and generally will be much heavier and swing much heavier than a 9’ graphite one. Nothing I’ve ever heard about Louisiana fly fishing for redfish requires you to make long casts. Why lug around and tire yourself out with a heavy 9’ rod if you don’t really need it? No doubt I can accurately cast my CGRs to 70’ standing from the kayak or a boat and that’s without a double haul. That covers about 99.9% of every redfish shot I’ve ever had here in Texas. Most redfish shots here are well inside that range and short, softer rods are great for that.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
In my above post about graphite/fiberglass scrimmed rods, I left out an important honey of a saltwater rod. Scott built, in 8'8" lengths, a series called "Heliply" circa late 80's early 90's. Mine is an 8-weight and it is one of the most fun in the lee, up the creek flats rods ever. Its blend of adequate power and gentle presentation with the famous Scott G-style (but a bit more salty) flex make it a unique rod in my kit. And its tough as nails. I have an old, small arbor Islander draw-bar on it in gold, a classic outfit.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
My first fly rod was a gift in the late 60s, a fiberglass Shakespeare 9-wt Wonderod. I used it in the salt and fresh water, and taught myself to cast with it (from books in those days, there was no YouTube). I can't even estimate the number of times it got hit by beaded flies and other heavy flies and hooks (probably almost as frequently as they hit the back of my neck). It didn't come with any kind of case, and it got banged around in car trunks. I once chaperoned a grade school fishing outing and I let one of the kids use it with a line tied to the tip, cane pole style. It has handled its share of abuse and I still have it and use it at least one week every summer (annual trip to RI, where I grew up...though some may argue I haven't grown up yet) and it works fine. Anyway, that thing is pretty sturdy, though coupled with a Redington Behemoth reel one's casting arm gets a workout.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have 2 that I use in the salt.
A 8'6" Garcia 9/10 that's actually pretty good rod for the kayak, and a custom 9', 10wt with an unknown blank.
I've decided that the custom rod, when paired with a 10wt line is just too heavy for surf fishing. Which is what I had in mind when I bought it ($20)
It's a nice rod and casts like a rocket launcher, but it's not going to get a lot of use.

The Garcia ($10) is shorter and as such is easier to deal with. It still feels heavy after a day of false casting, but I like it.... and it's not even close to the same quality of the custom rod.
I really like the idea of using a glass rod in the kayak.
Not a day goes by where is don't come close to bustin' my rod and with the glass, that much less likely to happen.

I also have a 9' 8wt Orvis Golden Eagle that I haven't used in the salt for maybe 10 years. It's a great casting rod but it's also heavy and bends down to the cork when you're dealing with a large fish.
Which is a little scary.

The Garcia
IMGP0003_2.jpg

The custom
IMGP0001.jpg

Hirdy

Reaction score
I love using 'glass in the salt, but I recommend avoiding any 'glass rod longer than 8'. There's a good reason Echo stopped producing the BAG 9' versions.

Cheers,
Graeme

Jcalla4

Reaction score
The Echo BAG is a great glass fly rod, and would handle anything you want in the salt. They've recently discontinued the 9 foot BAG and now only offer the Quickshot BAG, which is an 8 foot version. If you're wanting the 9 foot, now is the time to buy.
These are the rods I’ve been looking at actually. Not sure about the quickshot or 9’ version yet though

steveid

Reaction score
These are the rods I’ve been looking at actually. Not sure about the quickshot or 9’ version yet though
I would take Hirdy’s advice above and stick with the quickshot at 8’. He has more experience than I do.

However, the 9 footer can be had for about $140 right now...

Jcalla4

Reaction score
I would take Hirdy’s advice above and stick with the quickshot at 8’. He has more experience than I do.

However, the 9 footer can be had for about $140 right now...

I was thinking about trying the quickshot but I’ve not much experience with shorter rods. I also saw the comment about fiberglass rods being heavier and that a 9’ might be a little tip heavy for a kayak, which I use most often down here to get to the reds. 9’ is kinda hard to pass up at those prices though. Saw some on eBay going for as low as $120...