7 foot or 8 foot

r reese

Reaction score
I have fished all kind of rods. I like the Orvis Superfine. My go to is a 7' 4 wt. Cant seem to not pick that rod up when I head out. I know that is pretty short in todays standards. I have not found a situation it didn't work in. what am I loosing by not going 8'rod. what would I gain from an 8' rod. thinking hard about an 8' rod. Need help and opinions.

flav

Reaction score
With a shorter rod you sacrifice a little casting distance, but probably more importantly you lose some line control. If most of your fishing is within 40 feet you probably aren't affected too much, but if you routinely fish farther out you might consider a longer rod.

When I moved west I had several short rods, 7 and 7 1/2 feet. I soon realzed that if I wanted to be able to cover risers 60 feet away and be able to mend to get a good drift I was going to need a longer rod.

silver creek

Reaction score
"Losing line control" can be interpreted in several ways. I think you mean that the shorter the rod, the effective the mends that can be made. The shorter the rod the less distance that can be cast both with overhead and roll casting.

Losing line control can also be a shorter rod will be a less accurate in casting. A shorter rod, all other factors being equal will be a more accurate rod as long as the casts are in the normal casting range of the rod.

In physics there is always a trade off and you don't get something for nothing. We have to go back to the fact that a rod is a flexible lever. Longer levers amplify motion which allows the angler to cast farther and make larger mends. BUT because small motions become larger motions with a longer lever, they also reduce fine control of those motions.

Think of an artist. When an artist is working on the fine detail of a painting, he/she chokes up on the brush to paint fine small detail strokes. A baseball hitter chokes up on the bat to get better control of the bat head.

Similarly a shorter rod will be more accurate in placing casts under tree branches and other targets that need accuracy; but it will be less effective for mending line, roll casting and overhead casting for distance, and keeping line off the water for nymphing.

If the OP not found the 7'4" rod lacking in the type of fishing he does, in distance of a cast or in mending line, I would say keep on with that rod especially if the OP requires the accuracy of a shorter rod. Everything is relative to the type of fishing that the OP does. A shorter 7' or a longer 8' rod might be better overall depending on what the OP finding lacking with his current rod.

r reese

Reaction score
That's some good stuff. Don't fish out west much but when I do I still was able to do what I wanted and needed. I still may try a 8' rod just for the experience. Who knows a may love it.

desmobob

Reaction score
I'm coming from the other end of the discussion... I had been previously convinced that a fast 9' rod was the new "standard" so I fished for years with nine-footers.

After finally trying a seven-foot bamboo rod, I was amazed at how much more accurate it felt and how much more comfortable it was to fish. As mostly a small stream fisherman, I didn't miss out on the long distance casting aspect, but did find it more challenging to mend line.

I have since picked up an Orvis 7.5' Superfine Glass 4wt. and really enjoy it. I think the accuracy of a shorter rod makes up for the line-mending reach on the smaller streams I usually fish. Maybe eight feet is the sweet spot for you. You won't know until you try it!

Tight lines,
Bob

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I've been sporting 3 #4's this season, a 9', 8 1/2' and new 7 1/2' DART...all three completely different in characteristics but all three fine performers relative to the habitats I used each in. And its is not simply length, their tapers are dramatically different too.

gormaci

Reaction score
You do not miss anything if you happy with your rod.
Whatever pleases you! You can do it all with some old 7' Feralite still - with great joy.
And as for 8footer 4 weight... ? Some may say you miss three important letters:
TMF
:)

(BTW: Cast new TFO Finesse Trout 4 7'9" - VERY nice and inexpensive rod!)

tcorfey

Reaction score
I am with S&S I use multiple rods in lengths from 7 to 9 but here are some of my go to rods.

In bamboo
7.5' 5wt Perfectionist - This is one fine rod, one of my favorites but expensive.
8' 5wt Orvis model 99 - I use the 8 when I favor mending over accuracy.

In Graphite
7.5' 3wt Orvis Superfine - smaller streams soft presentations with cover and requiring accuracy
8' 5wt Targus Gary Borger Light Touch - larger streams with cover mostly fishing dry dropper and light nymphing rigs.
8.5' 5wt Targus Gary Borger Light Touch - larger streams with less cover and requiring more mending.

I have others and I use them but these lengths and tapers are my most versatile. For example I have a 8.5' 4wt rod from Allen and a 9' 4wt H2 rod those meet certain conditions better than these others. It really depends on the stream / river I am fishing.

Regards,

Tim C.

mka

Reaction score
I have fished all kind of rods. I like the Orvis Superfine. My go to is a 7' 4 wt. Cant seem to not pick that rod up when I head out. I know that is pretty short in todays standards. I have not found a situation it didn't work in. what am I loosing by not going 8'rod. what would I gain from an 8' rod. thinking hard about an 8' rod. Need help and opinions.
Reese, I have rods from 6' to 9'6" and I can say my favorite length rod are my 7' rods. At that length, I have three rods in bamboo, glass, and graphite. I can take a 7' 4wt rod and fish in almost any environment that I fish.

My 8' rods only have an advantage over my 7' rods in certain meadow streams...narrow streams, high grass banks, clear water, with wild spooky trout. In those streams a longer rod is an advantage where I must cast over the grass about 20' to a spooky trout...or, when I must hang the tip of the rod over a grassy bank to drop a fly on the water (and listen for a loud splash to set the hook). Below is one of the streams where I like to fish my 8' rod when the grass is high (that little white dot is my brother at the grass horizon).

Honestly, I fish my 8' rods less than any other length rod that I own and that's only because of the stream environments that I frequent. I probably fish my 7' and 7'6" rods the most because I'm on mountain creeks and streams with brushy banks and tree canopies more often than not. For me, the 8' rod is a specialty rod that I wish I could use more often because I like to fish with them very much. I don't think you would regret having an 8' in your quiver...

el jefe

Reaction score
Reese, I have rods from 6' to 9'6" and I can say my favorite length rod are my 7' rods. At that length, I have three rods in bamboo, glass, and graphite. I can take a 7' 4wt rod and fish in almost any environment that I fish.

My 8' rods only have an advantage over my 7' rods in certain meadow streams...narrow streams, high grass banks, clear water, with wild spooky trout. In those streams a longer rod is an advantage where I must cast over the grass about 20' to a spooky trout...or, when I must hang the tip of the rod over a grassy bank to drop a fly on the water (and listen for a loud splash to set the hook). Below is one of the streams where I like to fish my 8' rod when the grass is high (that little white dot is my brother at the grass horizon).

Honestly, I fish my 8' rods less than any other length rod that I own and that's only because of the stream environments that I frequent. I probably fish my 7' and 7'6" rods the most because I'm on mountain creeks and streams with brushy banks and tree canopies more often than not. For me, the 8' rod is a specialty rod that I wish I could use more often because I like to fish with them very much. I don't think you would regret having an 8' in your quiver...
I have used 7', 7'6", 7'10", and 8' rods in that section, and they all work well. Mending isn't much of an issue in those streams, so you don't need the length for that, but it is handy when having to reach and touch a fish. Anything in that length range works fine, but I find my preference is for the shorter end of that range, with a slower action to hit small spots just a short distance away. The longer rod does come in handy if there is a breeze, because I can generate more line speed with it.

By the way, apparently there was a black bear sighted just around the corner behind where your brother is in that picture, last time I was up there several weeks ago. Several hikers reported it as they were coming back from further back in the canyon. It was early evening when I heard those reports.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I love the idea of an 8'/#4 and, as I've said many times, the oldest rod in current use in my kit is my 1984 Orvis Western 8'/#4 with its original CFO IV. Honestly, I've yet to test an eye opening update for it. This size is rare and often not even included in new series releases. I should have investigated Little ONE 8'2"/#4 but have the great 8 1/2'/#4 ONE so I didn't. Too late now. The Winston Air has a rod of this size and it is a honey too and lighter than my old Orvis but arguably not more capable. Someday the just right rod will be introduced and, for historical record, back in the 1980's I selected the Orvis Western over the Winston TMF.

stinger22

Reaction score
If the 7’ works and makes you happy stick with it sometimes we think we need something that will work better but the difference is not much better

mka

Reaction score
I have used 7', 7'6", 7'10", and 8' rods in that section, and they all work well. Mending isn't much of an issue in those streams, so you don't need the length for that, but it is handy when having to reach and touch a fish. Anything in that length range works fine, but I find my preference is for the shorter end of that range, with a slower action to hit small spots just a short distance away. The longer rod does come in handy if there is a breeze, because I can generate more line speed with it.

By the way, apparently there was a black bear sighted just around the corner behind where your brother is in that picture, last time I was up there several weeks ago. Several hikers reported it as they were coming back from further back in the canyon. It was early evening when I heard those reports.
Jefe, I too have fished shorter rods on that stream but find I can do more with my 8' rod there (especially when the grass is high). There are some deep undercuts in the banks and I find it easier to reach out over the bank and dangle a fly with a longer rod. I once was walking on the trail that was parallel to the stream about 4-5 feet from the bank and my foot broke through the soil down to an undercut of water. Those trout have some serious hiding places there!!!

Yep, I heard about recent bear sightings up there!!! Usually I only "carry" while fishing on two Northern NM streams, but may start bringing it with me while trekking through that canyon too.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Still gonna have to try an 8 footer. Just to satisfy myself.
r reese, I have the Orvis 8' 4wt Superfine Touch, and it's a lovely rod to fish with on slower moving waters meandering through a meadow. Casting 40' of line is not an issue with this rod. Roll casting is a breeze and it lays out the line very nice. The one thing I have found, and it's probably just me I'm sure, is the mending. Sure, it will mend a little more line than a shorter rod, but if there's too much line out, it struggles just a wee bit because of the softness of the rod vs. the weight of the line and the water tension I think is a factor. So the lift of the rod I guess you could say struggles with too much line out. But with 30 feet of line out on the water, it mends just fine for me, and I see no reason to mend my line all the way to the leader like some videos show.

That's the only thing I can think of right now, and maybe the only thing period. For the types of water you have described that you like to fish, this rod will be a blessing. The widest waters I use it on are about anywhere from 20 to 40 feet wide anyway, but with a slow to medium water speed. The faster moving waters I don't much like using it because if a fish get below me in that faster current, the rod really bends deep, and it being such a delicate rod, I'm afraid it will snap.

So go ahead with the 8' 4wt rod. I think you're going to have a grand time with it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'll be curious what you find to compare among 8'/#4's. A quick search just showed me Scott's shortest #4 G is 8'4", Orvis's H3D is 9', H3F is 8 1/2' and full flexing Superfine C is their only 8' model. Yes there is the Winston and I'm sure there must be others but as I said, they are few and far between.

r reese

Reaction score
well I cast a couple tonight. A Winston TMF A Winston Blll LS and an orvis superfine. all rods my friends have. this is what got me started. they said they can out cast and out fish me with the 8 ft rod. well I can assure you one thing. They cant out cast me. Out fish maybe. But I see very little difference and 1 foot seems like a huge rod and more to hang up streamside in small water. My 7 footer works for me just fine.Well now I know.

r reese

Reaction score
And I saved a bunch of money to put somewhere else. My Orvis 7' 4wt superfine is a very nice rod.

ixoye

Reaction score
I have a Stickman 8' #4 and it is my favorite rod, just a perfect length for smaller streams and creeks.