Long 5 and 6wts for Lakes

dbgoff

Reaction score
Reposting from the Stillwater section:

I am looking to purchase one or two longer rods to use primarily in stillwaters. For years I've used 9' rods (Scott S3 and Scott Radian) and both seem to get the job done but the past several years 70-80% of my fishing (and fish caught) have been in stillwaters, so I'm thinking about picking up longer rods to add to my 9 footers. I like to use 5 wts in high-country lakes and 6 wts on big reservoirs. Most of my fishing is stripping leaches and streamers, with damsels, scuds and soft hackles thrown in when the big stuff doest work, and the rare day when I can throw a dry, but I'm experimenting with indicators, balance leaches and chironomids. All of my stillwater fishing is out of a float tube or a pontoon and I only target trout (although I welcome the occasional smallmouth bass).

My luck with 10 footers has not been great. I find them physically demanding to fish and hard on my forearm, wrist and hands. I built a 10' 5 wt. on a Dan Craft "Black Canyon" blank and its a gorgeous rod, but a beast to fish. I've wondered if the pre-formed grip is too big for my hand. I also have a 10 foot Sage XP 8 wt. which I use for steelhead and salmon. I've never loved that rod but must admit it gets the job done. I also built a Sage ESN 4wt which I have learned to use effectively, but the action is unsuitable for the stillwater fishing I do. So, maybe between the 9' and the 10' is a compromise I can live with and get the advantages of a longer rig. I'm looking seriously at the Sage Pulse and have also thought about the Orvis Recon, and maybe a Beulah, but obviously there are others. While I have many premium rods, I'm hoping for something in the middle price point, especially since my lake fishing is not a finesse job and I'm considering getting two of them. Thoughts?

redwing

Reaction score
I use a 10ft 6wt Scott Radian with fighting butt to fish stillwaters here in CO. I enjoy the extra length in my float tube to keep line off the water. It does make it a little harder to bring fish close to the tube but I just bought a longer net. I also like the extra length when I nymph fish.

bumble54

Reaction score
Now at the risk of making myself look ridiculous, I've been using a 10' Daiwa Whisker 5-8# for 30+years and although I have many other rods of similar length and weights it's my go to rod for "stillwater" fishing. it's slower than more modern rods but it fit's perfectly with my style of fishing. It will throw big lures if needed, nymphing, team of three wet fly and even dry fly down to size 14, not perfect at everything but passable on all.
The rod you need is the one that suits your type of fishing and that you are happy to fish with all day, we are all different and the rod that suits me might not be for you. Happy hunting.:thmbup:

flav

Reaction score
I actually prefer shorter rods out of a toon or tube. The main deal for me is it makes landing fish so much easier because I use a dehooking tool or my hands instead of a net. I've never felt distance casting is of any real importance out of a tube, the fish will rise within feet of me and I often see fish cruise right under me. I tried an 11 foot switch for a while, great out of a boat, but way too much length for a toon.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I like longer rods too. I use a 9'6" 5 weight Pulse, a 10' 5 weight H3F, and a 9'6" 6 weight One. I use those both on the stream and on still waters.

If your heart is set on a 10' in that medium price range, the Recon is fantastic. The Scott Flex is worth a look too but a little softer action than the 9 footers, I'm told. They don't make the Pulse in a 10' 5 weight, but the 9'6" is exceptional. It's the most versatile trout rod I own. You can't go wrong with it or with the 10' Recon. They also make the Recon in a 9'6" 6 weight which I was about to pull the trigger on when I found my One on closeout last year.

proheli

Reaction score
I’d try a switch rod for a day on your pontoon. I know you don’t want to spend the money, but the Sage X Switch is very light, and capable of one handed casts, so if you see a fish you can sight cast to it. The 5 and 6 wts are only 11’, doing the job of longer rods. I’ve got some rotator cuff issues and am planning on getting the 5 for trout/big indicator rigs and light inshore/onshore salt duties. Looking forward to the ease of two handed casting.

dbgoff

Reaction score
I like longer rods too. I use a 9'6" 5 weight Pulse, a 10' 5 weight H3F, and a 9'6" 6 weight One. I use those both on the stream and on still waters.

If your heart is set on a 10' in that medium price range, the Recon is fantastic. The Scott Flex is worth a look too but a little softer action than the 9 footers, I'm told. They don't make the Pulse in a 10' 5 weight, but the 9'6" is exceptional. It's the most versatile trout rod I own. You can't go wrong with it or with the 10' Recon. They also make the Recon in a 9'6" 6 weight which I was about to pull the trigger on when I found my One on closeout last year.
Spot on information on the Pulse and the Recon. Thank you. I think the 9'6" rods will get it done for me, especially with my Black Canyon 10' in reserve. I'm giving that rod one more chance this fall to fill the vacant 6 wt. slot in my quiver. It will probably come down to the Pulse, Recon and the Flex unless I can find a Radian, a One or an X in that length to cast and then can't put it down.

dbgoff

Reaction score
I’d try a switch rod for a day on your pontoon. I know you don’t want to spend the money, but the Sage X Switch is very light, and capable of one handed casts, so if you see a fish you can sight cast to it. The 5 and 6 wts are only 11’, doing the job of longer rods. I’ve got some rotator cuff issues and am planning on getting the 5 for trout/big indicator rigs and light inshore/onshore salt duties. Looking forward to the ease of two handed casting.
I built up a Switch for swinging streamers and punching out casts from shore on big lakes at ice out. It just didn't have the power to turn over the larger flies and two streamer rigs I intended to fish, while at the same time completely overpowering all but the largest trout. I would have kept it if I still lived in Alaska, but it wasn't right for the Rockies. That said it was an early blank design and I'm sure the modern rigs are better. Good luck with the shoulder. I spent the summer recuperating from a dislocated shoulder. Thankfully it wasn't my casting arm!

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Spot on information on the Pulse and the Recon. Thank you. I think the 9'6" rods will get it done for me, especially with my Black Canyon 10' in reserve. I'm giving that rod one more chance this fall to fill the vacant 6 wt. slot in my quiver. It will probably come down to the Pulse, Recon and the Flex unless I can find a Radian, a One or an X in that length to cast and then can't put it down.
No problem! You'll do very well with any of those rods. The best 9'6" 5 weight I've ever cast is the X, and the best 9'6" 6 weight I've ever cast is my One. The Pulse more than holds it's own though, and the Recon is excellent as well. It's not $500 of difference between them and the X for me. And for what it's worth, I do prefer the 10' 5 weight H3F over the 10' 5 weight X. Something about that 9'6" X though.... It's awesome. I tried to get one on a summer closeout once but it slipped away before I could snag it.

chechem

Reaction score
I spend 6-8 weeks each summer on stillwaters fishing from a pontoon. I used to use a 9' 5wts, then went to 9' 6wts. But it depends on conditions and whether you're fishing dries, streamers, or nymphs.

I'd love to try a variety of rods, but lack the resources. So I'll just say what I use for discussion.

To me, for deep-water nymphing, the faster-action rod is more important than rod comfort in hand. I want to get a good hook set. I use a St. Croix Avid for most of the time.

Fishing with dries is a different issue on lakes; long casts may be the most-salient factor, and rod length/weight comes into play. I use a Sage SP for that.

Just adding to the chat.

proheli

Reaction score
Well, you’d like a longer rod, but 10’ wears you out.

So, maybe a 8’ 5wt in glass. Less length means less tourqe on your joints, you will have to slow down your casting stroke, so also less torque and stress on your joints. Distance can be greatly improved by a distance coach. The last guide I had could cast my 4wt 60’ with about 1/2 a false cast. I had to look close just to watch him

The other idea that sounds fun to me, since you are out in the still water, is a 3 or 4wt Microspey rod. Light, you can single hand it if you actually see a fish, obviously 2 hands reduces the stress on your shoulder, aannndd, you can cast it side arm out of the pontoon.

I wonder if that Orvis H3 single hand comes in a 10’ 4wt. I’ve heard two different guys rave about the 10’ H3s. Light swing weight, good for the shoulder, and if you throw a light reel on it then all the better. A H3 1004 with a Sage Click would be about as light as you could get.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Well, you’d like a longer rod, but 10’ wears you out.

So, maybe a 8’ 5wt in glass. Less length means less tourqe on your joints, you will have to slow down your casting stroke, so also less torque and stress on your joints. Distance can be greatly improved by a distance coach. The last guide I had could cast my 4wt 60’ with about 1/2 a false cast. I had to look close just to watch him

The other idea that sounds fun to me, since you are out in the still water, is a 3 or 4wt Microspey rod. Light, you can single hand it if you actually see a fish, obviously 2 hands reduces the stress on your shoulder, aannndd, you can cast it side arm out of the pontoon.

I wonder if that Orvis H3 single hand comes in a 10’ 4wt. I’ve heard two different guys rave about the 10’ H3s. Light swing weight, good for the shoulder, and if you throw a light reel on it then all the better. A H3 1004 with a Sage Click would be about as light as you could get.
The H3F comes in a 10' 4 weight, and it's awesome. The 10' 5 weight is a tad more versatile though with virtually no difference in swing weight. The mid to high end 9'6" and 10' rods right now are all so light it's hard to perceive any difference in swing weight for me.

dbgoff

Reaction score
I was able to swing by my local shop and cast a 9'6" 6 wt. Radian and a 9'6" 6wt. X together with my 10 foot Black Canyon. Not a particularly scientific test with different reels and lines on each rod, and not the intermediate or sinking lines I'd expect to fish on stillwaters, but both easily outclassed the Black Canyon. Its impossible for me to say how much of the improvement should be attributed to the shorter length as opposed to the taper design or more modern materials. I'm normally retrogrouchy when it comes to bold claims about newer rods, but WOW! Both the X and the Radian are superb casters without the leveraging effects/swing weight I feel in my older 10 footers. I'd give a slight edge to the Radian but the X was insanely light and similarly easy to cast. I'm confident either one would make a superb stillwater rod. Sadly, the shop did not have a Pulse or a Flex in this length and weight to compare to these two premium sticks.

dbgoff

Reaction score
I use a 10ft 6wt Scott Radian with fighting butt to fish stillwaters here in CO. I enjoy the extra length in my float tube to keep line off the water. It does make it a little harder to bring fish close to the tube but I just bought a longer net. I also like the extra length when I nymph fish.
Did you try any other 10' 6wts. before you bought the Radian? If I go with a 10' I probably won't get the chance to cast it as my local shops don't sell many of these rods. I tried both the Radian and the X in the 9'6" configuration and was shocked at how light they were. Both were very powerful but the Radian felt like it had a bit more grunt.

timd

Reaction score
I own and fish the 9’ 5” 6 Radian and can tell you it’s one great and powerful rod. It is a great rod for big rivers fishing nymph and streamer rigs and for long hook sets. I just got back from our annual Montana fall trip and used it on the Madison and some fantastic lake fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dbgoff

Reaction score
I own and fish the 9’ 5” 6 Radian and can tell you it’s one great and powerful rod. It is a great rod for big rivers fishing nymph and streamer rigs and for long hook sets. I just got back from our annual Montana fall trip and used it on the Madison and some fantastic lake fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
One picture surely is worth a thousand words! The consensus at this time, both on this forum and in another angling group on Facebook is that the 6wt. is the way to go, but folks seem evenly split on whether the 9'6" or the 10' is the better choice. I'm leaning toward the 9'6" 6 wt. Radian as I've had a chance to cast it (the 10's don't seem too popular in my area) and it would be a good big river nymph and streamer rod in addition to the lake game. TBD.

chechem

Reaction score
One picture surely is worth a thousand words! The consensus at this time, both on this forum and in another angling group on Facebook is that the 6wt. is the way to go, but folks seem evenly split on whether the 9'6" or the 10' is the better choice. I'm leaning toward the 9'6" 6 wt. Radian as I've had a chance to cast it (the 10's don't seem too popular in my area) and it would be a good big river nymph and streamer rod in addition to the lake game. TBD.
I think you'd be happy with that length. Haven't fished a Radian, but 9'6" 6wt works well for streamers and lake fishing. Thanks for the posts.

planettrout

Reaction score
For years, Winston built 10', 4wt. rods specifically designed for float tubing. They were even described that way in their printed catalogs. I have never seen the need for a 10', 5wt. or 6wt. for tube fishing. Drift boats or rafts for larger Western rivers - yes. Their last offering in this category was the BIIIX which is no longer available. Here is one on the Washington Form that was for sale back in July of this year:

FS - RL Winston B III X (BIIIX) - 10' 4 weight | Washington Fly Fishing

PT/TB

dbgoff

Reaction score
I don't think a 10' 4 wt. for float tubing would be a good choice for the for the water and tactics I use. Most of the water I fish from a tube or pontoon simply isn't 4 wt. water. I spent yesterday fishing stripping two weighted buggers on a type IV line and drifting in 6-10 mph wind. The average fish on that lake is 17-20 inches with fish over 22 common. My biggest fish yesterday was a fat 23 inch rainbow that was a bear to subdue on a 6 wt., especially at the end when I had to lift it up to net it. I have friends that fish that lake with 5 wt. rods but I tell pretty much everyone who asks to pick a 6. Does it need to be a 10 footer though? Probably not.