Albright fly rod

melvynsegal

Reaction score
A friend of mine is selling off his fly fishing equipment, and he has offered me an Albright 3-piece 9 foot 9 weight EXS fly rod for a good price. I lawn cast the rod with a Sci Anglers Mastery 8 grand slam weight fly line. The rod cast the line a country mile, and casts well in close. It was a bit heavy compared to more modern rods, especially given its large sturdy snake guides and reel seat, but it had, at least for me, a wonderful action. Does Albright still make rods? Anybody else fish this rod? I think it would be a great rod for more open water in Florida, where I spend some of the winter fishing around NAPLES. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks... Mel

tcorfey

Reaction score
I also believe Albright is not in business anymore. I had their A5 rod in a 5 piece 9' 5wt. It was a great rod for long distance dry fly work and it worked good for high stick nymphing. I sold it a couple of years ago as I had other 5 weights I liked more.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Internet direct sales only Albright has been completely out of business for a few years now. EXS (EXternal Scrim, or Exoskeleton as I called it) was their top-of-the-line rod, with some high retail price but it was perpetually on sale for under $299. These Made-in-Korea faster end of medium fast performance rods were not classically beautiful with their Formica green finish but had good components, were well fabricated and designed and cast very well. They were however, a little fragile in a brittle kind of way. I have broken an EXS #5 (replaced), 8 and 12 (not replaced) and still have retired #'s 4, 5, 7 and 10. EXS was a precursor to and built in the same Shop as Hardy Zenith then Douglas SKY. Yes, unrelated companies but both a conceptual and designer thread loosely connects them...and all fine casting rods.

Yes, I can recommend buying your friends' 9-weight...just understand it is not a heavy duty work horse of a 9 but a fine casting one. And what is a good price? $100?

melvynsegal

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the helpful feedback. I’m $80, which seems like a good deal, especially since I like the way the rod casts. Let’s hope it doesn’t snap on a bigger fish. Wouldn’t be the first time!..

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My 12-weight did break in the end game with a large tarpon. My favored #8 caught plenty of bonefish no problem but when an "expert" friend went to "help" me land a bonefish via grabbing my leader, he grabbed the underload rod instead and snap!