Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
  1. Default Fly Rod Deal

It looks like Taylor Fly Fishing is having a 30% off sale on some of their reels and their Phenom fly rod. I just picked up a 10' 4 wt for an additional 25% off using the code "PHENOM25" -- bringing the cost down 45% from an original price of $360 to $197 including shipping. I haven't received the rod yet, nor have I tested any of the Phenom rods before placing my order (or any other Taylor Fly Fishing product for that matter), and there aren't many reviews online, but $197 seems like a good enough deal to give it a try.

Does anyone have any experience with the Phenom? I'm hoping it's a good rod. I like giving the startups a chance, and if they work out, I'll be a great customer and advocate going forward. I have a number of friends that have now bought Dryft waders after I bought my first pair in 2013. A question for the forum--what are some of the small(er)/startup/newer gear companies that we should consider for future purchases?
    Last edited by tjc032; 10-12-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Default Re: Fly Rod Deal

Can't speak to Taylor FF's rods, but I own 3 of their reel models and each is high quality IMO.
    I'd hope that's an indication of their rods as well.
    Note that I do think their reels are made in China, but not sure on the rods.

Would be interested in your feedback on the rod once you get a chance to bend it a bit.

3. Default Re: Fly Rod Deal

It arrived about 30 minutes ago. Made in Korea.

It will be a few weeks before I get to use it, but I'll report back once I do.

4. Likes scotty macfly, hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Taylor Phenom Fly Rod Deal - 45% Off

Since you asked what other small companies are out there, here's one I have mentioned before, and I am very impressed. They actually have some new up graded versions of their older rods for sale.

Fly Shop Loveland, CO
    Last edited by scotty macfly; 10-15-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

6. Thanks tjc032 thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Fly Rod Deal

I will add a small company as well, Hans made in the USA. Walton Rods. I own the 5 wt. Sully and it has served me well. I wasn’t sure which weight I wanted to go with and had an extensive email conversation on a Saturday and Sunday with the owner. I really wasn’t expecting a response until Monday but he kept responding within a short time of me sending my emails. Your not going to get that kind of service from too many companies. I was sold.
    Home - Walton Rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks tjc032 thanked for this post
    Likes scotty macfly, hairwing530 liked this post
  9. Default Re: Taylor Phenom Fly Rod Deal - 45% Off

I have an Elkhorn rod/reel combo that I bought a few years ago. I really like it. I'd be curious to try their upgraded models.

I'll have to check Walton out next time I'm in the market for a rod. Their specs look solid on their website. Being made in the USA is always a plus.

10. Default Re: Taylor Phenom Fly Rod Deal - 45% Off

Hey Everyone,

We have our Enigma, Revolution, and Phenom currently on sale for 30% off. They are being discontinued to make room for some products! Inventory is getting pretty low on the rods and we are sold out of several sizes and color of the reels.
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com