Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pure (Hardy/Grey's, Pfleuger, Fenwick, etc.) Sold

For my money they could have remained small and I would remain loyal. What happened in my case was I went from being "Hi Ard" when I called to being just another unanswered e-mail in a very large and disorganized conglomerate.

Even the experience with the Rep. here that I mentioned went stagnant. Regardless of what is / was happening when I ask for him to order that reel for me he should have contacted me to say it wasn't coming. I have never heard from him again. Likewise all my messages to Hardy USA have never been answered and 2 remain unread.

I have my old Featherweight, the original Hardy reel I ever bought and my Princess which was my second. Toss in a mix of other models purchased during the last years of their heydays and I'm good. Given the poor service I've seen since the Pure experience I won't miss them at all. It was cool years ago owning Hardy. Many times, too many to number I would encounter people who would look at my reels and ask, "What is that, is that one of those Hardy reels"? When I joined the forums my username was Hardyreels, it still is on the UK forums and others but the love is gone. Now I'm a Sage and Bauer type and I don't mind change.

Too bad for the folks who have worked at Alnwick for so long but things don't look good.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes clouserguyky liked this post

FF is an older man's sport, not too many kids are putting down their Iphones and getting into FF. Looks like the Baby Boomer generation's interest in fly fishing peaked a couple years back and now there will be a low in sales until the current medium workforce population ages a bit. Time to unload and let someone else take a speculative risk.

4. Likes adso4, herman35 liked this post

Am I being naive in wondering why a venerable old brand like Hardy's can't make a go of it on it's own? Why does it have to be part of some conglomerate?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by duker View Post
    Am I being naive in wondering why a venerable old brand like Hardy's can't make a go of it on it's own? Why does it have to be part of some conglomerate?

Scott
    Filson could use a "fishing gear" category in their portfolio
    Filson Seattle Flagship - Seattle, WA | Filson

7. Likes Redbrook, duker liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by duker View Post

Scott
    If you scroll up to my post #9 on pg. 1, I comment on how virtually none of our top fly fishing brands are self sufficiently independent financially. Wasn't Filson too bought by a big company? FF is a tiny market (good, the rivers are over crowed already!) compared to almost anything else.

9. Thanks Redbrook thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12