4-Weight Shootout 2019 Counterpoint

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I usually enjoy George Anderson’s Shootouts, this newest one somewhat less so. I have met him but don’t really know him and I respect that he is a skilled angler who has won the One Fly, fishes the wonderful streams and rivers of Montana and further afield, even spending his winters in south Florida. It’s long been clear he has a rod preference filter…to be a top contender the rod must have a softer tip and a stouter butt.

His descriptive language use confuses me; how can a rod be too stiff and slow? How can a 9’ rod weighing less than 3 ounces have a “heavy” swing weight or heavy anything? As an angler who enjoys fishing 4-weight rods ranging from 7 ½’ to 9’ for fishing dry flies in diverse habitats, I’m further mystified how he strives to “compare” 8’, 8 ½’ and 9’ rods all under one set of guidelines.

I favor an 8’/#4 when fishing small and canopied streams where short accurate casts are the norm. When fishing my beloved spring and meandering meadow creeks is when I sport a crisp tipped, super accurate 8 ½’/#4. Precision of presentation and line manipulation with a light touch are my priorities. On big technical rivers when the breeze is light is when I select a 9’/#4. This rod requires good butt power reserves for appropriate distance on great rivers like the Henry’s Fork, Missouri and Delaware. For my dry fly technique, soft tipped rods need not apply.

There is plenty I can personally agree with Anderson about. I too have long had a love affair with 8 ½’/#4’s and have many of them spanning the decades. We both appreciate quality cork work biased toward sound ergonomics, flat, neat and non-globular wrap finish and inert, flexible nickel-titanium, decent sized but light weight guide sets. That does not mean I would fault a rod for using light wire, quality stainless guides especially for trout fishing applications.

My principal departure from the Yellowstone Shootouts is twofold. “Feel” in-close or out far is not a function of softer tip flexibility in my casting. Of course, there is a the age old viewpoint that feeling the rod load by virtue of its mass bending is pleasurable, compounded by “needing” tip softness to protect fine tippets and small flies. Conversely, there are many, and I am in this camp, who perceives feel as being an attribute of the rods clarity of communication with the line along with the seamlessness of transitions from one part of the rod’s taper to the next. A scalpel like tip that recovers to straight very quickly with a minimum of counter flex not only forms tighter, cleaner loops but enhances precision of fly placement and attitude adjustment. Further, a precise, quick tip facilities adroit slip-striking the little dun imitation home in the trout’s sipping mouth…no shock absorption other than your fingers required.

Then there is the so frequently focused upon rating system resplendent with Winners and Losers. Interestingly, often I concur with the excellence of Anderson’s favorites, NRX#8, SKY#6, Zenith#5 over the seasons have all been terrific rods. The Zenith 8 ½’/#4 is a rod I know very well and fished it for a number of seasons. I have compared it to Anderson’s top rod, Zephrus, and though the new version is a bit smoother, an improvement, the original was a little more potent and a small but important amount crisper in the tip. Still I’m confident the Zephrus is very good. That it is #1 and “too stiff and swing weight heavy” feather light Sage X is #19 is a laughable indicator of prejudice…this really is Fake News. I have not cast Winston Pure but I have tested the 8’/#4 AIR which is excellent. But to have it a #2 and brilliant 9’/#4 Asquith is #23 and SKY and Truth are #’s 13 and 14 simply means powerful big river 9’/#4’s are somehow not receiving their deserved admiration. So, if a 4-weight rod is not tailored to small stream, short cast use with a soft tip, it does not rate. Preposterous, shedding irrelevance on the whole project.

I have at least test casting familiarity with several rods in this Shootout and own and fish a few or similar versions too. I could happily cherry pick three rods in the three offered lengths out of this Shootout to form a first rate 4-weight kit and even add a couple more as alternative taper styles for diversity. I could not, would not select a #1 Winner and…if forced to, it would emerge from the bottom half of the ratings.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
Thanks for your summary S&S. I have only perused the shootout but what stood out was Anderson's opinion of the X rod's swing weight. This is ridiculous! One afternoon I was at a fly shop on the Upper Delaware and it was a slow afternoon. The manager took three rods outside to test cast. The Rods were all 8 1/2 4wt rods a Sage X, A Redington Predator and a Winston BIIIX. We both took turns casting these rods and the shop manager was partial to the Winston. Myself I liked all three well enough but the X felt way better and after watching my casting cadence and loops the shop manager said "just watching you cast ... the rod for you is the X". I really liked it a lot and don't recall noticeable swing weight. My modern 8 1/2 4wt is the Edge rod. One day I had the Edge in the car and all the shop guides and employees asked to cast this rod. They are not displayed and have limited availability. After casting they all came away very impressed. I matched the rod with a Rio Gold and afterwards they all said you should try this rod with a Wulff Triangle Taper. Yeah I know ...what else is new!

Last edited:

dr d

Reaction score
hi,

i´m also not agreeing with some of the results - but it´s only a test of some persons - nothing more and that´s why it´s subjective.

i´ll retire from my job next year amongs other things because of my age - i don´t want to become my own cartoon.

that´s a privilege - but some people have to stay on their job .

please be gracious.thank you!

nice we to all.

thomas

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Thanks for your summary S&S. I have only perused the shootout but what stood out was Anderson's opinion of the X rod's swing weight. This is ridiculous! One afternoon I was at a fly shop on the Upper Delaware and it was a slow afternoon. The manager took three rods outside to test cast. The Rods were all 8 1/2 4wt rods a Sage X, A Redington Predator and a Winston BIIIX. We both took turns casting these rods and the shop manager was partial to the Winston. Myself I liked all three well enough but the X felt way better and after watching my casting cadence and loops the shop manager said "just watching you cast ... the rod for you is the X". I really liked it a lot and don't recall noticeable swing weight. My modern 8 1/2 4wt is the Edge rod. One day I had the Edge in the car and all the shop guides and employees asked to cast this rod. They are not displayed and have limited availability. After casting they all came away very impressed. I matched the rod with a Rio Gold and afterwards they all said you should try this rod with a Wulff Triangle Taper. Yeah I know ...what else is new!
I remember reading the same swing weight complaint in reviews about the 9' 5 wt X rods. I bought myself the 591-4. The first time I cast it, I thought "what swing weight". Spend enough time with a 12 wt in your hand and I guess a 5 wt feels like nothing.

bonefish41

Reaction score
If his definition of swing weight is just the weight of the rod then for me it's irrelevant. One two or even three ounces more of no moment...what's significant is the weight/load of the line when casting...i'll have a rag arm in a couple of hours with my 3 oz 10 wt but last the day with my 4 oz 4wt or 4.5 oz 7 wt...besides his test scores for the top ten are usually within 10%...distinction without significance IMO...but I agree they are fun to read...

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I believe what people call swing weight in modern rods is more noticeable in rods longer than 9ft. I have a 10ft 4wt Hardy Zenith that I feel has noticeable "swing weight". This really becomes apparent when I immediately pick up the 9ft 5wt Zenith afterwards for comparison. The difference is significant even though both Zeniths are very light rods. The 9ft rods (more so with 8 1/2 ft) are more efficient. Is swing weight even noticeable in a modern 8 1/2 4wt?

Last edited:

slinginbugs

Reaction score
This was probably the worst shootout Anderson has produces yet. Sage X 8'6 4 heavy and stifF? 19th place? And the Asquith even lower at 23? I friggin KNEW the Zephrus was gonna be the winner before checking the review.
This is not a fair comparison of 4wt rods. This is a: Which rod suits mr. Andersons biases and prejudices the most report.

Excuse my language, but what the ****.

jr spey

Reaction score
This was probably the worst shootout Anderson has produces yet. Sage X 8'6 4 heavy and stifF? 19th place? And the Asquith even lower at 23? I friggin KNEW the Zephrus was gonna be the winner before checking the review.
This is not a fair comparison of 4wt rods. This is a: Which rod suits mr. Andersons biases and prejudices the most report.

Excuse my language, but what the ****.
I'm not sure how you'd do a review like this without your biases becoming involved. These types of complaints come out with each Shootout he does. I think he wants it as it's good advertising. For what it's worth, my favorite four weight wasn't even tested, and it's still a current rod

el jefe

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you'd do a review like this without your biases becoming involved. These types of complaints come out with each Shootout he does. I think he wants it as it's good advertising. For what it's worth, my favorite four weight wasn't even tested, and it's still a current rod
Well? Which one is it?

One thing I did find curious about the shootout was that YA tested the 844 GS, rather than the 884 GS. The 884 is probably the better all-rounder. Many, including some at Scott, consider the 884 GS not just the best of the GS four weights, but the best of the whole GS series. YA notes in the discussion about the Winston Pure that they tested both the 8' 4-weight and the 8'6" 4-weight, including comparing them both on the deflection board, and ultimately included only the 8', them thinking it the better of the two. The GS would have been a natural for the same pre-test comparison, and I think they missed it on that one.

In the end, I like reading their shootouts, and the notes are where the real information lies. Fly rods continue to be one of the few remaining things that is difficult to quantify, and I hope it remains that way. I can choose my tires with pure numbers, my car, my water heater, my TV, but I hope fly rods always remain elusive from mathematical capture of artful characteristics.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm not math oriented but swing weight has something to do with moment of inertia, Silver can describe this very well. It is self evident that if you take and 8 1/2' and 9' rod of the same series and cast them back to back that the 6" shorter rod "feels" lighter in hand...well sure, you have a longer lever and more butt diameter too. But when fishing bigger water where more distance may be required, 9' rods have distinct advantages over their shorter siblings.

Anderson suggests some of the more potent 9'/#4's in his Shootout fished like 5-weights. OK, I have written before that my NRX#4 which would have done poorly in this test, fishes as many a 5-weight does...but does so with a #4 Gold. It simply has the power and line speed in excess of some #5's but it is really is a #4. This is a virtue on larger dry fly rivers and I'll add 9'/#4 ONE and SKY in this class too, which is why Dillon and I fish them along with our smaller water specialized 8 1/2'/#4 ONEs. Oh, and many of George's higher rated rods achieved their accolades lined with 4.5 wt., aggressively front biased tapered Infinity...on 9'/#4 SKY I have found its preferred line is true to weight Cortland Omni-Verse #4. I did sample SA Infinity on Taylor Truth which cast it fine but distinctly preferred slightly lighter RIO Gold. But I can't "rate" Truth, I've only lawn cast it in three separate sessions. When I take a Truth on a fishing trip, then I will review it.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Is there a reason that so many fly shops (and guides) tend to recommend such heavy lines for rods that most of us prefer with true to weight lines?

For instance, when a friend bought a Sage 590 X, the shop virtually insisted that he needed to get a Rio Grand with it. I’ve cast that combo and it just bogs down a good rod. I had him use my Rio Gold on it and it was far superior, but he is sticking with the Grand because it works ok for him.

Of all the negative things that YA said about the Douglas Sky, the only thing that might have kept me from buying one was that they thought the half-size heavy Infinity was the line for it. I’m much more likely to buy a Sky now that I know S&S prefers it with a true weight line.

I have a 4 wf Infinity but only because I have one rod that needs the heavier line, but buying a new 4 wt I would intentionally avoid a rod that really needs a heavier line. I’m guessing that if I bought a Zephyrus 4 that I (and most others on this board) would line it with a true to weight line.

I would also expect to balance an Orvis H3F with an honest 4 weight no matter what a fly shop was to recommend. And I would be darn disappointed if I bought one and it really did need the heavier line.

I don’t believe shops are intentionally sabotaging their customers. I’m sure they believe what they are recommending. But why do they virtually all believe in this fallacy?

Don

boisker

Reaction score
I reckon it’s because people turn up wanting to buy a ‘ modern fast rod’ but want it to feel like a slightly more ‘deeper flexing slightly slower’ rod... so they team them up with slightly over weight lines to change the feel of the rod

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
"I don’t believe shops are intentionally sabotaging their customers. I’m sure they believe what they are recommending. But why do they virtually all believe in this fallacy?"

I like fly shops and have observed plenty of clerk to customer tackle recommendations. There is a good chance I disagree with a significant % of such particular when it comes to lines. First, many believe we can't cast and need a heavy line to get us kickstarted. Second, discussion has established that most don't experiment much and know little about lines themselves.

Experienced fly fisher to fancy pants Sun Valley fly shop salesperson, "Hi, do you have a #5 SA Expert Distance Taper for my Sage XP please?" Clerk, "Oh no, we don't carry that line, we don't really need a lot of distance around here. I recommend the SA GPX for your rod."

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
One thing I did find curious about the shootout was that YA tested the 844 GS, rather than the 884 GS. The 884 is probably the better all-rounder. Many, including some at Scott, consider the 884 GS not just the best of the GS four weights, but the best of the whole GS series. YA notes in the discussion about the Winston Pure that they tested both the 8' 4-weight and the 8'6" 4-weight, including comparing them both on the deflection board, and ultimately included only the 8', them thinking it the better of the two. The GS would have been a natural for the same pre-test comparison, and I think they missed it on that one.

Fly rods continue to be one of the few remaining things that is difficult to quantify, and I hope it remains that way. I can choose my tires with pure numbers, my car, my water heater, my TV, but I hope fly rods always remain elusive from mathematical capture of artful characteristics.
Some are of the view that GS 8'8"/#4 may be the single most perfect Scott among all current Scotts. Not including it was an error as was only doing the Pure but not the 8' and or 8 1/2' AIR. The Scott 8 1/2' Radian is debatably the least successful Radian, way too stiff. I own a stiff #4 in this size, Gary Loomis's EDGE, it casts better than the Scott but I still pull it out infrequently. The 9'/#4 Radian, also not my favorite, is far better than the shorter one. T&T 8 1/2' Avantt did very well (Yellowstone must be selling T&T now) but it is the 9' version of that rod that intrigues me. And 8 1/2'/#4 X "rod has a stiffer tip than many of the best rods, and I felt this hurt both feel and accuracy...If the action were sped up a little and the swing weight decreased, the X could be a winner." Hu? The X may be #19 but is a winner...and I don't own it having the stiffer, heavier ONE. Like el jefe wrote, "I hope fly rods always remain elusive from mathematical capture of artful characteristics."

neshannock

Reaction score
Concise, enlightening, to the heart of the matter, and eloquently crafted as are all of your posts.

Thanks for this much-needed dose of not so common sense.

troutbum_74

Reaction score
Some are of the view that GS 8'8"/#4 may be the single most perfect Scott among all current Scotts. Not including it was an error as was only doing the Pure but not the 8' and or 8 1/2' AIR. The Scott 8 1/2' Radian is debatably the least successful Radian, way too stiff. I own a stiff #4 in this size, Gary Loomis's EDGE, it casts better than the Scott but I still pull it out infrequently. The 9'/#4 Radian, also not my favorite, is far better than the shorter one. T&T 8 1/2' Avantt did very well (Yellowstone must be selling T&T now) but it is the 9' version of that rod that intrigues me. And 8 1/2'/#4 X "rod has a stiffer tip than many of the best rods, and I felt this hurt both feel and accuracy...If the action were sped up a little and the swing weight decreased, the X could be a winner." Hu? The X may be #19 but is a winner...and I don't own it having the stiffer, heavier ONE. Like el jefe wrote, "I hope fly rods always remain elusive from mathematical capture of artful characteristics."
I just returned from casting my new X 486. While “casting” is different from “fishing” a rod, I enjoyed this rods feel in hand and believe it will suit me fine as talking w shop workers at Telluride and Feather Craft led me to pick this rod over some others I had interest in. I will be fishing it Monday with some midges and smaller nymphs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hirdy

Reaction score
Being very much a science-oriented person, I gave up on those YA shootouts a long time ago. Their biases are too strong for any science to be carried out properly.

Fly rods continue to be one of the few remaining things that is difficult to quantify, and I hope it remains that way. I can choose my tires with pure numbers, my car, my water heater, my TV, but I hope fly rods always remain elusive from mathematical capture of artful characteristics.
I think you are probably right el jefe. It makes me wonder why these guys even offer the pretence of conducting some sort of "scientific analysis" of the rods. I'd be more likely to take note if they just said "We tried out a bunch of rods side-by-side and we liked these three rods best. Here's why ... "