Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  199
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Default Re: 4-Weight Shootout 2019 Counterpoint

CB, What rods do you favor for your Mexican blue water adventures and do you fish trout steams too?

I just want to add this...

These stiffer 4-weight rods require lines that are slightly heavier than a standard AFTMA 4-weight line.
    THEN THEY AREN'T REALLY 4wt's are they?!?!

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by Lonnie Utah; 03-14-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post

"This year, as is the norm in the industry, all of the rods tested are 4 piece rods. These stiffer 4-weight rods require lines that are slightly heavier than a standard AFTMA 4-weight line."

Lonnie, Don't fall into the believe everything experts write trap. Being a 4 pc. rod used to make some rods feel stiffer and heavier but that was in the past. I wouldn't describe any of my current 4 pc., 4-weights as "stiff" and all of mine fish best with lines of grain weight within the AFFTA standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post

They are (almost!) all designed for 4wt lines- regardless of how many sections they have!?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    They are (almost!) all designed for 4wt lines- regardless of how many sections they have!?
    Edit: I copied and pasted too much text in my original post. I don't care about how many sections they are. I care about a true to weight rating. Sorry about the confusion.

If they're designed for lines that are heavier that a standard 4wt line (between 114 and 126 grains), then they aren't 4wts. They are 4.5wts or something like that. Truth in advertising.

"Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

6. Likes lepirate liked this post

Yes, Lonnie, as I wrote somewhere above, I have an older Scott S3 that favors a GPX (130 gr.) which is what it was designed with...I regard it as a nice 4.5-weight. All the rods included in the YA Shootout that I have at least test casting experience with are at their best with SA Trout or Cortland Omni-Verse (120 gr.) or Gold (126 gr.). Anderson employs a 130 gr. line to "soften" the tips the way he likes them and if the rod tip resists, he pushes it down in the rankings. As I've often repeated, he has a "filter".

Incidentally for those who fish a lot in close and want a slightly heavier line like 130 gr., try Cortland's Modern Trout a much better taper than the SA heavies. I'm switching from GPX to Modern Trout for my old Scott next time I travel to Colorado.

Sweet,

I have used most of the top ends rods in the past twenty years for my blue water adventures, and for my casting stroke and fighting techniques I used to favor the Sage xi3 and now have changed over to the Loomis NRX in 12 wts, However another partner in the rod department is the TFO 16 wt heavy duty blue water rod for bait and switch works pretty good too.

I used to be a "trout guy' and find it pretty boring now however I do fish for Steelhead and Salmon out of my pram with 9 wt Sage and Loomis NRX in northern Calif. and southern Oregon.

Sweet, please don't misunderstand me If i new a place to go trout fishing that was any good I could be talked into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are a big fish loving guy, CB. Both Sage and G.Loomis play big rolls in my overall kit too.

Sweet, It's true I do like the big pulls. Where i fish In Mexico I can get "big pulls" all day long for "trout prices" so instead of chasing the little guys I just by pass them and go to Mexico for a month-after Mexico I then go north for around 6 weeks for the Steelhead and Salmon...My biggest salmon is 48 pounds on a 9 wt rod with 10 pound test- I have landed 3 salmon over 40 pounds on one of my hey days- It's not as good like most things in the fishing world, now your lucky to get a few 30s CB

Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    Michael Moore, the documentary filmmaker, of such fame as "Bowling for Columbine" and "Roger and Me", among others, was once criticized by someone who called his films biased.

In classic Michael Moore fashion he replied, hey, it's my movie. If you don't like it make your own movie.

Personally, I really like the Yellowstone Shootout and I'm very appreciative of the extreme amount of hard work and copious amounts of time and money that go it to producing the shoot out.

Yes, it may have biases, but he makes those biases pretty clear, and there is a ton of useful information in those reviews.

Hey, instead of writing criticisms that are maybe 20% factual about actual fishing stuff and the remaining 80% about how wonderful you think you are, why don't you do your own shoot out?
    Are we better in making choices because of these type of shoot-outs and reviews. I think so. Take your own experience with rods, for those that have been in the field for a while you probably have had a couple whoa rods, a few nice ones, and a few stinkers over the decades . Based on your own experience and intel you match it to what is being presented. If so tester says this rod is like rod x from 10 years ago but lighter and throws these lines well, and he doesn't care for this Y rod because ..... and you identify with so tester, then you might be able to make some semi-educated decisions. But while not always possible always try to test out before you buy, just like with a car. I would much rather have these shoot-outs than not. Personally I wish we could give S&S a boat load of rods to test out but then I would also like to have Sour and Pepper test them too. Its all good stuff if your lenses are clear!

12. Likes myt1, osseous, el jefe, steveid liked this post
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast