Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  199
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Default Re: 4-Weight Shootout 2019 Counterpoint

Everyone has an opinion. Cant argue the results. But if you have never fished dries on a 7' 4wt full flex rod you should try it. It is awesome.
    R Reese

2. Likes Lonnie Utah, proheli, el jefe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by r reese View Post
    But if you have never fished dries on a 7' 4wt full flex rod you should try it. It is awesome.
    You're dad gummed right!
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"Personally I wish we could give S&S a boat load of rods to test out but then I would also like to have Sour and Pepper test them too." bwf

I do the best I can with what I'm able to get my hands on and it is THE main reason I go to the big annual NJ Show. Just like Anderson though, when I write glowingly about some rod, others here legitimately think I'm nuts. We are not supposed to agree on BEST otherwise there would only be ONE rod in each category.

I'm taking three different rods form three differing makers to Florida with me in a couple of days (no, not 4-weights). One of them is not mine but a loaner from a major rod company. I test cast it for a few minuets at Edison, that is it. They sent a reel mounted with true weight line for me to use...very generous (yes, take this into consideration when I write about it upon my return). So, for better advance understanding I went on-line to a respected fly shop review. One reviewer disliked the line that was sent me and preferred a different true weight line, another staff reviewer liked a RIO Permit, a full size over-weight line. I read between the lines as best I could and learned...nothing. So, I'm going to do what we all always recommend here; I'm taking it fishing with two different mounted lines and figure it out on my own...oh, I'll have my wife and guide cast it too for a more well rounded set of opinions.

5. Likes moucheur2003 liked this post

Good luck S&S! I went to Florida a few weeks ago with the intent of giving the Douglas Sky 909 (that I just got for a steal--used once) a workout, but, sadly, we got stuck on a bunch of huge, laid up tarpon. No time to chase bonefish and permit when you have sight casting to tarpon in late February. The Sky got all of three casts over two days.
    My fish pics on Instagram - @willyfranzen

7. Likes osseous, sweetandsalt liked this post

I understand that serious problem, Willy. I'm solving it by fishing new to me Mosquito Lagoon where I don't anticipate tarpon but hope for tailing redfish. So no opinion on the SKY#9 yet?

9. Likes osseous liked this post
  10. Default Re: 4-Weight Shootout 2019 Counterpoint

hi,

question:

ive the impression to fish quicker and more precise with a deeper loading taper with quick recovery and stable leight tip - for dries as for nymphs.

whats your meaning? especial in #3,4.

nice week.

thomas

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    So no opinion on the SKY#9 yet?
    Nope, but I should have one in a couple weeks.
    My fish pics on Instagram - @willyfranzen

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314