Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  36
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How efficient are our fly rods.

This all kind of ties in with a flight of fancy I had a while back .... bear with me on this ....

I imagined a warehouse with a line of say 50 fly rods held by robotic casting arms, each rigged with a different line on the same reel. The arms are programmed to adjust their movement to attempt to optimise the distance or accuracy with the given line by altering speed, timing, angle 'off the shoulder', line length, etc.
    A process of trial and error/success would, in time, reveal the best action and best line for that action available for that particular rod model, and with a degree of objectivity. Whether mere mortals could match or even better the robot's results would be interesting to see.
    Hey, I've always been a dreamer.

But, in relation to this thread, by measuring the energy used by the casting action of the robot arm and the best distance achieved one could answer the o.p.'s question definitively.

Anyone know anything about Crowdfunding?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    By the way Mr.Chessman, that 40 year old rod of Maxine McCormick's that Silver speaks of...
    A Fenwick HMG
    I think it was an Eagle, which was a real sponge and would fit Chris' slow action teaching criteria.
    Vision Quest: Fly-Rodding Phenom Maxine McCormick Wins Big - Temple Fork Outfitters

My apologies if I'm mistaken, Dave

I know little about physics and less about golf. Also I do not perform competitive casting. I do know that those old Fenwick HMG's have a distinct dead spot in the middle where the big and thread reinforced tip-over-butt ferrule is located. Efficiency in numbers or percentiles; I have no clue. I am aware that much casting energy is lost to excess three dimensionality in one's stroke, sideways and open motions deviating from concise two dimensionality. I have this problem. It is also clear that longer and heavier rods require more effort to cast. The subject of "feel" comes up all the time. I perceive this in two ways; 1. The feel of the mass of the rod bending during load and unload and 2. The feel of the fly lines acceleration and motion. These are not the same feeling at all. Mass loading I regard as subtractive to perceiving line sensation. Low mass, crisp action and precise recovery of the tip I describe as "transparency"; reducing the feel of the bend and increasing the feel of the line. So, without the ability to numerically measure efficiency, or for that mater, line speed and recovery rates, one goes by perception and sensation during casting and presentation. Every once in a while I cast a new rod and say, "wow, I like this!", I don't say, "wow, this is efficient!"

4. Likes bigjim5589, kentuckysteve liked this post

Thanks for that link, trout treker.
    I notice that it says,
    McCormick’s training started with the fundamentals, the length of stroke, the grip and the stance — albeit with down-sized tools of the trade — an old Fenwick Eagle. Korich sanded the handle for proper sizing.
    It may be that she still uses and won with the Eagle, one might even say it's probable, but that's not exactly what's written. She may well have outgrown the custom-sanded handle and moved on .....
    I'm genuinely curious - and did she win in both SH Accuracy and Sea Trout (SH) Distance with the same rod?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    Thanks for that link, trout treker.
    I notice that it says,

It may be that she still uses and won with the Eagle, one might even say it's probable, but that's not exactly what's written. She may well have outgrown the custom-sanded handle and moved on .....
    I'm genuinely curious - and did she win in both SH Accuracy and Sea Trout (SH) Distance with the same rod?
    That could well be true, although Tom's article ( 2016 ) makes reference to the time she was given this 40 year old rod ( three years earlier ) worth about $50.00 and that she used to win the gold. ( back in 2016 )

" As to the reference to high-tech rods, three years ago, Korich gave Maxine
    McCormick a 40-year-old fly rod, he said, worth about $50. She used the same rod
    Friday to win the gold."

Has anyone here bought an eagle or hmg off of flea bay lately, what was the going rate?

Had to add this.
    Like most of us, she's got a pile of rods to choose from and she's smarter than many of us, which she proves by not stating a favorite brand or model. ( Dial this out to 3:51 )

Dave
    Last edited by trout trekker; 12-06-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Maxine Mccormick (14) wins the Women's World fly casting accuracy contest again.

Post #14, Her coach indicated which rod she used at a more recent competition. It wasn’t the Fenwick.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

8. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    Maxine Mccormick (14) wins the Women's World fly casting accuracy contest again.

Post #14, Her coach indicated which rod she used at a more recent competition. It wasn’t the Fenwick.
    It was with a Norwegian LTS Flyfishing Ephemera Across 6 wt rod.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

10. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

Not wanting to hijack this 'efficiency' thread with the 'Maxine McCormack Rod Mystery' I've started a thread on that topic here. Hope we can clarify the issue there.

12. Default Re: How efficient are our fly rods.

hi,

look on my post from 6.12.18 5.10 am---thatīs it.

nice we.

thomas

The most efficient rod is the one with the highest resonant frequency, if you are using a robotic casting arm with unlimited strength. But then the rod would have no feel. In real life the most efficient rod will vary on the person, as arm length, strength, preferred casting stroke, and much much more determines how one can most efficiently generate line speed. Good casters should be able to adjust or tune their stroke to the given rod and situation. In the hands of a good caster a $100 starter rod will perform about the same as a $1000 top of the line rod in terms of distance and accuracy, although it may take more concentration and effort for the cheaper rod.
    The best and most efficient rod is the one that you like to cast the best, or even the one that you are used to casting. There are quite a few studies on casting and not everything has been fully explained. Google Scholar is a good way to find the papers and SexyLoops is a good place to discuss theories.

14. Thanks proheli thanked for this post
    Likes bumble54, el jefe, karstopo liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123