Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Difference between 4, 5, and 6 wt

If your interested in a 590 Sage X in mint condition for 500 bucks send me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction. I've seen & held the rod , it's flawless.

2. Likes hairwing530, brokeoff liked this post

I suggest you add the Radian to your list of rods to try. Since you currently cast a G2, you might have an affinity for the Radian.

I agree with others who pointed out that it's not merely the line weights, it's the length and rod action, too. You are wise in trying out some rods.

While you are investing in a rod for this trip, you might also consider which of the rods you try would be one you'd use most here at home as well. Just a thought.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

4. Likes hairwing530, brokeoff liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mtbusman View Post
    I suggest you add the Radian to your list of rods to try. Since you currently cast a G2, you might have an affinity for the Radian.

I agree with others who pointed out that it's not merely the line weights, it's the length and rod action, too. You are wise in trying out some rods.

While you are investing in a rod for this trip, you might also consider which of the rods you try would be one you'd use most here at home as well. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the tip about fishing at home. I flipped through my emails and found a conversation with a guide that I've fished the Whites with. He had recommended a mid flex 4 wt and tip flex 5 wt, both in 9'.

Edit: Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. Another twist I would like to add, how would your recommendations change is you were suggesting a 9' 5 wt only for wading. So, only wading, medium rivers, no crossover heavy nymph/streamer fishing, just dries?
    Last edited by brokeoff; 12-14-2018 at 10:20 AM.

I think your 904 G2 is about as perfect a dry fly rod as you could ever want. Don't know why you'd step up to a 5 or 6 unless you're expecting to do a lot of Chuck and duck or are expecting a lot of fish over maybe 4 pounds.

7. Likes brokeoff liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    I think your 904 G2 is about as perfect a dry fly rod as you could ever want. Don't know why you'd step up to a 5 or 6 unless you're expecting to do a lot of Chuck and duck or are expecting a lot of fish over maybe 4 pounds.
    I'm not sure what a four pound trout looks like, but I know last time I was there I lost a good fish due to a missed hookset. The guide said, "two feet." Wasn't too bothered by his statement until I realized he was talking about the fish. I'm sure plenty of guides talk up the size of the fish but I checked his photos online and it seems that he knows a thing or two about nice fish.

I'm headed back for redemption!

We are planning a trip to the lower part of the Pyrenees next spring. We’re heading for small to medium size streams. We are taking 7-8 ft #3 and 4 weight rods fishing dries and small nymphs.

10. Likes brokeoff liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brokeoff View Post
    So, only wading, medium rivers, no crossover heavy nymph/streamer fishing, just dries?
    For drys only, the only 5wt rod I’ve really heard people gush about is the GS 865. I mean gush. There are all the usual suspects, but if I had to buy a 5wt for drys sight-unseen, it would be this one. Telluride angler likes all the 5wts, 905 especially.

P.S. I wouldn't buy a rod without casting it, so, I'd probably end up with the PURE.
    Last edited by proheli; 12-15-2018 at 10:20 AM.

12. Likes brokeoff liked this post

Thanks for the tip about fishing at home. I flipped through my emails and found a conversation with a guide that I've fished the Whites with. He had recommended a mid flex 4 wt and tip flex 5 wt, both in 9'.

Edit: Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions. Another twist I would like to add, how would your recommendations change is you were suggesting a 9' 5 wt only for wading. So, only wading, medium rivers, no crossover heavy nymph/streamer fishing, just dries?
    Mid and Tip Flex are Orvis-speak but I get it. Since I fish surface, single flies essentially exclusively for trout and when rarely throwing chickens in high water go to a specialized streamer rod, I won't alter my above, 1st. page post recommendation. Take your fine deeper flexing Scott #4 and add a quicker recovering 9'/#5 of a more high line speed taper. If I took a single rod wading while dry fly fishing it would be my NRX 9'/#5 with its Hatch 4+ and RIO Gold or, if the rivers and streams where more modest in size, Sage X 8 1/2'/#5 with Nautilus X and Gold...but, of course, I don't. I take a full kit.

14. Likes brokeoff liked this post

I'm going to try all the rods but I'm leaning heavily to the Avantt 509.

Any thoughts on a reel that would go well on here? I like the looks of the Abel TR, new but not modern. Any thoughts?

I'm going to try all the rods but I'm leaning heavily to the Avantt 509.

Any thoughts on a reel that would go well on here? I like the looks of the Abel TR, new but not modern. Any thoughts?
    I love my Abel TR 4/5 that is on my Scott G Series 885. I have the Satin Orange model. Going for one for the Scott G Series 883 I am ordering this Spring. Thinking heavily about getting the Native Brook Trout design. The reel itself is very nice. Only 21 parts I think and honestly, for trout, drag in my mind is heavily overrated. I like the Click/Pawl noise as well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast