Need help with a repair issue

• Thread starter small jaw hunter
  • Start date
S

small jaw hunter

I bought a closeout rod a few years ago and haven't used it much until the past few weeks and noticed that the reel can't be tightened down enough to keep it from moving, not much but enough to be annoying. I've tried 3 reels and it's the same with all of them. The locking nut tightens all the way to the wood insert but it's not enough. What can I do?

ddombos2

Reaction score
I bought a closeout rod a few years ago and haven't used it much until the past few weeks and noticed that the reel can't be tightened down enough to keep it from moving, not much but enough to be annoying. I've tried 3 reels and it's the same with all of them. The locking nut tightens all the way to the wood insert but it's not enough. What can I do?
First, what kind of rod is it? Brand, model, and size? Are you trying to fit up reels that are appropriately sized?

Second, if there is no recourse to ask the manufacturer, then I would get some soft foam material and push a small amount into the top reel slot beneath the handle. I'd try to take up about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I'd use a soft foam rather than something hard. Hopefully a little spacer like that will cause the reel seat to tighten up before the locking nut is advanced all the way.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Well there's a few things you can do

A) Put some tape on the reel foot and be done with it
B) Find a reel that fits
C) Change out the reel seat

Installing a new reel seat is one of the easiest repairs you can make on a fly rod.
To remove the old seat it's a matter of breaking the glue seal. The easiest way is to put a plastic bag over the seat and stand the rod butt up in a pan of boiling water on the stove. After a bit and using a rag, you should be able to pull it right off.
Then it's just a matter of gluing on a new seat with slower drying epoxy.
You may have to adjust the "bushings" under the seat. Built up layers of masking tape work fine

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Up or down locking? Either way I would place a small shim in the stationary hood of the seat. By the sound of it an eighth of an inch should do.

S

small jaw hunter

It locks upward. I'm going to try to shim it with something adn see if that works. It's an Albright GP 6/7. Thanks for all of the advice.