Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  87
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Default Graphite Rod Aesthetics

Iím partial to understated elegance where form meets function, and to colors and materials that blend with my idea of the flyfishing experience. No matter the material in the rod blank. That probably puts me somewhere in the classic crowd.

The best comparison I can come to think of is with firearms. I would appreciate both a black composite stock and stainless barrel for the rugged, functional, sleek look as well as a finely made walnut stock and blued barrel for the beauty of the materials and the craftmanship.

But Iím not so sure it really is a classic vs modern thing in the sense that can it be easily confined to the transition from bamboo - fiberglass - graphite.
    I can recall lots of garish and to my eyes ugly rods of both bamboo and fiberglass.
    Anyone remember the red- and green reel seats and the gold ferrules and guides?
    Trends and fashion play a part, influence from sporting gear design in general spill over to fishing rods and to fly rods. And to clothing, waders etc. Iíll have none of that, I donít want my fly fishing stuff to look like ski-poles and trendy climbing gear. Nor do I want my wading boots to look like basketball shoes. I guess Iíve by now argued my way firmly into the classic bracket.

As for production graphite rods I think Sage had a couple of good decades of nice design; RPL, LL and ZXL to name a few.
    I really like the snub nosed handles that became a Sage standard from the TXL-F and onwards. I also think Orvis did really well with the H2 and Recon series. (The covert H2 gets extra points for sleek coolness).

As for handles - I actually donít cast the same with all rods/reels.

With a short and light rod intended for precision (letís say a 7í6Ē 3wt) I prefer casting with my index finger on top of the handle and in line with the blank. Preferably the heel of the hand is very close to or touching the reeI at the same time and the index finger all the way up front on the handle. For this class of rods I generally choose reels where an exposed spool does not hinder this style of casting.

With a bit stouter one hand rod (letís say a 9í 6wt) I want to cast with the thumb on top, hand close to the reel, but have ample room to shift the grip a bit forward after the cast and when playing a fish, I also need room for a larger arbor reel.

Iíd estimate my preference being a difference of about an inch or so between the two examples (more with a cigar grip, they work well being short). Probably 5 3/4Ē to 6 3/4Ē.

Charley Hisey at Orvis makes a badass fullwells that measures just over 6 1/2Ē, not that I own such a rod, but I had the pleasure of playing with one for a few minutes.

2. Likes dennyk, Lewis Chessman liked this post

Default Re: Graphite Rod Aesthetics

I build my own, so I get to choose what I think looks good on a rod. I think graphite rods look best with black, grey, or dark colored blanks, similarly colored thread wraps, and aluminum reel seats (no fancy wood inserts). The bright and shiny painted blanks from Sage and Redington turn me off, but even worse to my eye are brightly contrasting thread wraps like on some G Loomis rods. I do like handles made from various different colored rings, though, and it's nice to see a few manufacturers starting to go that way.
    Of all the production rods out there, Beulah rods look the best to me. I love their cork work and blanks, but some of their thread work is a little overblown.

4. Likes Lewis Chessman liked this post

The look, which I too like, of black or grey wraps on a graphite grey blank actually harkens back to cane rods using translucent honey colored wraps of silk, complimenting not contrasting. Actually I think the Sage ONE painted a thin translucent black with black thread is good looking in a factory way. I do not care for Sage's use of metallic trim thread. Original Loomis NRX, flat graphite grey with opaque, cerulean blue wraps was objected to enough that they introduced a green blank with green wraps alternative for sales purposes then went green only for freshwater versions keeping the brasher blue for the salt intended rods. NRX grey with blue might not be remembered for aesthetic excellence as much as for being among the very finest performance rods ever. My NRX #'s 4, 6 & 8 are all with the original contrasting blue thread and stand out visually as 'NRX'. My newest and most often fished, is the 5-weight in green on green. I regard this rod as being among the top 9'/#5 big water dry fly rods...ever. But its green on green makes it look like everyrod.

For me, Sage set the bar with the XP series rods both aesthetically and functionally. I have always loved the Strubel U20 uplockers in nickel silver with the working class knurled lock ring and simple step-down turnings. Not too much bling, but a touch of class with a nice Cocobolo insert. The black/gold dress wraps are a nice touch and my High School colors. The dark olive, non-metallic flake, translucent blank us handsome and is complimented with honey colored thread wraps that bring about a slightly contrasting lighter olive tone. I will say that the epoxy or varnish coatings on my old RPL was smoother and had less build up than on my XPís. I still dig the tigereye brown RPL blanks too. The overall RPL aesthetics are pleasing to my eye but I think the reel seat hardware could have been improved with a finer threaded lower end and a touch of smoothing of the edges of the hood and reel foot holder (seems like they like to mar my reel feet). Nickel Silver seems to be a bit softer than the aluminum, and the U20 has always held my reels snuggly. As for grips, I have always liked the shape, feel and diameter of the 6.5 and 7Ē Sage reverse half wells grips on trout rods although Loomis NRX grips have a slightly better shape with their slim waist and swell positioned slightly forward of center. These have the best in hand feel for me and the cork quality in not too shabby either. Hard cork and too much filler always turns me off a rod no matter how pretty or how well it may cast. Although they feel nice when you first pick them up, the Winton grips tend to be a bit skinny; especially considering the stiff nature of boron butt sections. The earlier IM6 Winston rods had much superior grips! If we are talking inserts, I prefer a gentle grain, not overly figured wood or a plain aluminum all-the-way type seat/insert. Not a fan of woven graphite or other composite material. I like unsanded natural graphite blanks as long as the rest of the rod aesthetic is muted and rather plain with aluminum hardware on the reel seat like a Scott Pow-R-Ply or first gen Orvis. For sanded, painted blank rods, give me a Sage RPL, LL, SP or XP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support your Local Flyshop!

7. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

I predict that someday, Sage is going to devise a trout rod so spectacular that they will decide to paint it a modern version o RPL Brown.

mike_r, the Sage's you most admire are all Don Green rods, XP being the last. Starting with Z-Axis marks the era of his hand picked successor, Jerry Seim.

9. Likes troutbum_74, fly2field, clouserguyky liked this post

Aside from the Current Siem style grips, the general Sage aesthetic remains unchanged. Colors may vary but the Sage style is easily recognized by anyone who has been a fly fisherman in the last 20-30 years. I think that a Sage rod will always look like a Sage rod, no matter who is chief designer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support your Local Flyshop!

I would disagree that the basic Sage aesthetic has remain unchanged. When Sage went away from the Struble nickel silver reel seats, their aesthetics went downhill and went from elegant to cheap looking.

12. Likes osseous liked this post

While I regard the current Sage reels seat style, as on X, to be highly functional, light, strong and free of either loosening or jamming, I'll get in line and say I don't buy Sage rods for their aesthetics but their superior performance.

14. Likes e caster liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    While I regard the current Sage reels seat style, as on X, to be highly functional, light, strong and free of either loosening or jamming, I'll get in line and say I don't buy Sage rods for their aesthetics but their superior performance.
    I'm confused. Did you start this thread entitled, "Graphite Rod Aesthetics," and then conclude it by writing that you ignore aesthetics?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    While I regard the current Sage reels seat style, as on X, to be highly functional, light, strong and free of either loosening or jamming, I'll get in line and say I don't buy Sage rods for their aesthetics but their very high level performance.
    ... fixed it for 'ya

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast