Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default New Purchase Powell rod

Hi folks,

I'm new to the fly fishing forum and I'm thrilled to be here. I just purchased a used Powell TBN905-4 It's a five weight four piece rod and I think it'll be wonderful.

Do any of you have any experience with this Rod or any other Powell fly rod? I was shocked to find out how much a new rod goes for. $285. I got a good deal for $50, so I'm indeed not complaining.

Best wishes,

Greg

Default Re: New Purchase Powell rod

Quote Originally Posted by gvhorwitz View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm new to the fly fishing forum and I'm thrilled to be here. I just purchased a used Powell TBN905-4 It's a five weight four piece rod and I think it'll be wonderful.

Do any of you have any experience with this Rod or any other Powell fly rod? I was shocked to find out how much a new rod goes for. $285. I got a good deal for $50, so I'm indeed not complaining.

Best wishes,

Greg
    It's an ok rod, a lot of people like them. But it's not the same Powell of years ago. E.C. Powell and Walton Powell were fantastic rod builders. Back in the old days. I think it was Waltons son that sold the company years ago to Charles Schwabb. So what you have is probably a Chinese built Schwabb.
    But if you like it, and it works for you, you came out miles ahead. For $50 I wouldn't complain either.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...