If You Could Only Have Two of Each...3 wt, 4wt, 5wt, 6wt....What would they Be?

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!

Hopefully Santa was good to you all, and left a few "Fishmas" goodies under the tree for you.

It always get's me thinking this time of year when I usually go into heat hoping for some other fishing trinket to find me...that I really need to continue slimming down my Trout arsenal as I have been over the last few years toward retirement downsizing. Which makes me take stock in earnest of my real needs vs my pile of gear that sees only intermittent use.

"My name is Outlaw and I am a Tackle Junkie" echo's in my mind every time I do an inventory.

I thought it would be interesting to open up a thread about quizzing everyone on a really tough topic:

If, hypothetically only - thank God, you could only have two rods of each weight: 3 wt, 4wt, 5wt, 6wt, to fish for trout, anywhere you would ever go, for the rest of your lives and could never change them up ever again - what would the rods be and why would you pick them-for what use?
(for sake of discussion - we'll allow any rods, past or present, from any maker, in any configuration, that you would use to cover any trout fishing needs you would ever require)

Ready, set, go!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just one 3 weight, a custom built Orvis flea with 3 tips just in case.

No 4 weights and even if I lived back down south I don't think I'd have any.

Five weights, if seems I have5 of them sorta, I have a 7'9" Orvis Far & Fine that I bought in 1979 and use every year even here in Alaska. Then there's a 9 foot #5 PM-10 I got in 1994 that still sees some use...…………. and a home built Lami graphite 6'3" with enough backbone to handle small stream steelhead that I use here. The 'sorta' rod is my old Orvis Full Flex 6'6" fiberglass that will use a 5 or 6, rated on the blank for 6 but I like a five on it. Lastly I bought a Sage Foundation 5 weight with a Click reel just to see how they worked compared to a 1994 PM-10. Sage is better at distance...……..

6 weights: I have one seen below, I only need one of those.

DSC_0001-2_zpsb8e21a39.jpg

Another made custom back when Ron White still ran the Orvis bamboo shop.

I know that's not 2 of each but I'm past wanting more rods, I have about 24 single hand rods and 14 2 hand rods, there isn't much to want at this point.

el jefe

Reaction score
I'll take a stab...

For 3-weights, I would have a 7' glass rod, either an Epic Fastglass II or some Scott F Series around or under 7'. Then I would have a graphite rod for windier days. I really the Sage ZXL 386 for that spot.

For 4-weight, I would have a Scott Radian 1004 (for Euro nymph and all around), and a Scott GS 884.

For 5-weight, I would have a Scott GS 885, and a fast 9' rod, like a Scott Radian 905.

For a 6-weight, I would have a Scott GS 906, Winston BIIIX 906, or Sage ZXL 690, and then a Radian 906FB or Sage 691 XP for the bigger stuff.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
3: A TFO Drift for nymphing and I don't know what the other would be. (I haven't really fished much with lines that light.) Probably a 7' or 7' 6" small stream rod of some sort. I use a 7' 4 weight for small streams but I've picked longer ones in the 4 category.

4: Winston Tom Morgan Favorite and Edge 8' 6"

5: Orvis H2 8' 6" Mid-Flex and Hardy Zenith 9'

6: Sage ZXL 9' and Loomis NRX 9'

Last edited:

tcorfey

Reaction score
I am kind of working through that right now but, I do not have an answer yet.

An assumption is that I would have most likely have:
- a 8' bamboo rod and a 9' graphite rod in 6wt. - Streamers, big drys and heavy nymphs.
- a 7.5' or 8' bamboo rod and a 8.5' or 9' graphite rod in 5wt. - Streamers, medium dries, wets and nymphs
- a 7.5' bamboo rod and a 8.5' or 9' graphite rod in 4wt. - dries, wets, light nymphs
- a 6' bamboo rod and a 7.5' graphite rod in 3wt. - dries - light nymphs

But one of my fiberglass rods may beat one of the other rods or a longer rod may beat a shorter rod not sure yet.

I have been scheming a test and soon I will be heading up to the casting ponds. First trip will be with 6wt rods in bamboo, glass and graphite and 5wt rods in graphite and bamboo. I will be testing their casting abilities against three lines all of them Cortland 444 Peach double taper in 4wt, 5wt, 6wt and 7wt lines.

I will rate each rod and line combo in distance and accuracy tests using both overhead and roll casts.

After I am done with those rods I plan to reload with 3wt and 4wt rods in graphite, glass and bamboo using the same line type but in 2wt, 3wt, 4wt and 5wt.

Before I finish I might break out some other rods and see how they do also.

Regards,

Tim C.

coolkyle

Reaction score
Ok I will participate!
It wouldn't stop me from looking, but these are the rods I thought of.
Winston Pure 376
Burkheimer 389
Winston TMF
Sage Circa 589 (this rod is a great 4wt)
Sage X 590
T&T Avantt 905
Scott Meridian 906
Scott GS 906

ixoye

Reaction score
3 Weight = Scott GS 377
4 Weight = Hardy Artisan 486
5 Weight = I don't need one
6 Weight = Hardy HBX 690

Last edited:

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I would be very close to el jefe,

3wt. 7' 6" slower med/fast bamboo. Scott GS 883

4wt. Scott GS 1004. T&T Aeros, toss up between the 864 and the 904.

5wt. Scott Radian 905. Scott GS 885

6wt. Scott Tidal 906. Scott Flex 906.

That's it, no need for anything else.

mike_r

Reaction score
I have thought about this before and even from the perspective of two trout rods total and one warmwater 6wt that could bridge over to trout. I have owned/traded/fished and sold over 100 trout rods over the years from all the major players and even a few custom sticks. Currently, I don’t even own a 3wt. I seldom get up on Mountain streams anymore due to the fact that I just don’t put alot of faith in my ankles or knees. But if I did, or had more opportunities to fish meadow spring creeks and narrow back channels like S&S out west, here would be my 2/2/2/2 list based on my experience and knowledge of said fly rods:

Scott “Murray Mountain Special” 703-3 (6’10” graphite ‘Orig G’)
Sage SLT 389-4

Orvis Supefine Glass 764-3
Winston WT 486-3

Sage XP 590-4
Winston IM6 586-3

Sage XP 691-4
G Loomis/Shimanno Asquith 690-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
2 each would do.

3wt F E Thomas split cane 6'8"
4wt Dickerson 7012 split cane 7'
5wt Payne 101 split cane 7'6"
6wt Sage X graphite 9'

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Assuming money doesn't exist...

-Orvis Superfine Carbon 7'6" #3 for brookies in tight brushy, GSMNP streams and such.
-Sage ESN 10' #3 (2nd gen.) for strictly euronymphing purposes

-Scott GS 8'4" #4 Dry flies, dry droppers, etc. I never fish in situations where I'd actually need this but I'd sure like to have one anyways.
-Sage X 10' #4 All arounder with euronymphing capabilities for fishing on foot.

-9'6" #5 Sage X or Scott Radian, all arounder for wading days. I do a lot of highsticking and tightline nymphing, but also end up throwing a streamer or two and some dries almost every time I fish. I've found a fast action 9'6" to be the perfect length for my 5 weight needs most days on foot. Currently fishing a Pulse for this slot, and it's awesome too. I drool over the Radian in this configuration periodically and have fished the X a few times and love it.
-My 10' # 5 Orvis H3F, all arounder for boat days and wading big rivers. This rod can do anything. Love the added reach, especially from the kayak and the john boat.

-My old 9' #6 Sage VXP for big dry flies, big nymphs, floating line 6 weight duties, small warm water duty. This rod was my go to for a long time.
-My 9'6" #6 Sage ONE for heavy indicator rigs, streamers, smallmouth bass, carp, sinking lines, heavy wind, etc.

In all actuality, the slots I don't already have filled will be filled with mid-range rods such as Scott Flex, Orvis Recon, Sage Pulse, perhaps Loomis IMX Pro, etc. because money DOES exist and I've spent most of it on my 5 and 6 weight quiver. Mid-tier rods are awesome these days anyways!

satyr

Reaction score
I don't need that many rods and would never use them. Here is what I would use. I generally only fish dries so my choices are probably quite different than most peoples.

2 weight - Sage Little One 824
4 weight - Sage One 904
6 weight - Sage X 906

proheli

Reaction score
This is exactly the type of thread to get guys thinking, and then to get them in a lot of trouble with their spouses. Well done cooutlaw.

3's. Both glass.
C. Barclay 68 Blue Ridge Special. 6'8" new Synthesis.
Larry Kinney 813. Long, smooth, skinny, bendy.

4's
Winston Pure 804, but this could be supplanted with a Stephan Brothers 804
Scott GS 884

5's
Scott GS 885, Hardy HBX 905 (But maybe a Sage Igniter, to really huck a dry in the wind, I don't know anything about the HBX of course.)

6's
Winston Air 906, Sage 5110 Switch rod.

I don't know anything about bamboo, haven't got that far into the game yet. Also I have a Hardy glass now, which I really like, and must say I'm close to getting an addiction to their rods. For me that rod is twice as good as any of my other fly rods under 25-30'. Pure Bliss. I just watched the Lost World of Mr. Hardy and really liked it.

Also, just watched the Rocky Mountain Fly Highway, gorgeous and informative.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
@Proheli - I do have a special inate capabilty to bring out "the best" in women...what can I say, it's a gift. [poke]. Thank God I married a really pretty and ornery one 25+ years ago...she gave up trying to tame me after about our 2nd date, and we've had a great understanding ever since. :first:

Meadowlark

Reaction score
For myself, its a custom 3 wt for ponds and small water bodies and a 5 wt for general purpose use in both salt and fresh "light" work.

I've never owned or even used a 6 wt and never will. I was shocked to read on another thread here how the 6 wt was proclaimed to be the standard rod, LOL. Not here for me or anyone actually I know. Then I have 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 wts.

I feel I need the granularity between 7,8,9, 10 but don't need that granulation on the lower end. Between the 3 wt and 5 wt, they cover every fishing situation I confront on the lighter side.

Both are pretty much indispensable and I'd feel lost without either one.

NCAndy

Reaction score
I've been a reader of this forum for some time and I appreciate the varied perspectives of the members here. I'm not as widely experienced in assorted rods as many are but I tend to like a touch softer approach to a fly rod. I mainly fish in WNC where i mostly use lines in 2-4wt. I see so many fishing here locally with 5 or 6wt rods and it just seems like overkill most of the time. So my choices are at this time...

Winston 7'6" B3ls for smaller streams in the Smokies mostly with dries. Light and delightful.
Winston 8'6" B3x for everything else. I throw small streamers on this rod, fish dries, dry/dropper, light nymph. At first when I bought this rod on the recent closeout I thought it was a bit of a odd taper, a strong butt section with a pretty light tip. But it has become my most used rod lately. It can do most anything I need it to do where I usually fish.

Winston TMF IM6. My all time fave. Its only shortcoming, for travel, is it is a two piece. Dry fly pure fun on the local streams, and anywhere I choose to carry a two piece really.
Winston 486 B3x. I use this rod in bigger water or windier conditions as I do the 3wt version.

NRX LP 9' 5wt. My most used rod out in the larger waters out west. Only 5wt I own and probably need.

Orvis Recon 9' 6wt. My streamer rod for heavier or larger streamers. Does ok in that application though sometimes I wish it was a 7wt. A good caster at medium to longer distance but a bit of obtuse in close.
Orvis 8' 6wt Green Mountain. My pond rod for so many years and one I throw in the IK to fish smallies with on the local whitewater section. My daughter used it the other day to cast a double nymph indicator rig. Did fine. Bends through the cork, seems indestructible.

I have other rods, a 2wt an Orvis Superfine Carbon, another couple 4wts, but those are my current choices. I fish almost daily and am lucky to chase trout from 3" to 20+" in our local waters, and a few smallies too every so often. I bought my wife a pair of waders this Christmas so she could see me more often. lol

hunter1

Reaction score
For a 3 wt, My Sage LL , 4 wt, my Sage LL, 5 wt my T&T, Don't have a 6 wt, But I'd go with a Sage rod or a Winston. 7 wt I use an older Pflueger 9'. 8wt I use a custom built rod I have. 9 wt I use a Orvis silver ? 9'6" . I also have a Kunnan 7'5" 4wt I use for small streams. That's it.:)

mnigro

Reaction score
Some days I have a hard time picking the 4 over the 5, can’t imagine having 2 of each weight and then having to choose. My 3, 4, 5 and 6 are all fairly different from each other and the overlap is small. Aside from wishing for a backup XP 691, not sure I’d use two 4’s or 5’s.

What could another 5wt bring to the table that would make a difference between my 905 Radian and 864 One? Maybe a slower 4 or 5 like the GS but after that I’d really be splitting hairs. Just not enough delta to make a difference and justify the additional toys. If the Radian went down and needed to head off to Scott, my 486 One or 691 XP could fill its shoes just fine until it returned.

I recently updated the quiver from a row of SLT’s, XP’s, GLX CC and while I loved my 905 SLT, I couldn’t justify keeping it with the 905 Radian in hand. I have bought and sold many rods over the years and never had a problem selling a rod that no longer served a purpose.

I guess I’m the oddity

mike_r

Reaction score
Some days I have a hard time picking the 4 over the 5, can’t imagine having 2 of each weight and then having to choose. My 3, 4, 5 and 6 are all fairly different from each other and the overlap is small. Aside from wishing for a backup XP 691, not sure I’d use two 4’s or 5’s.

What could another 5wt bring to the table that would make a difference between my 905 Radian and 864 One? Maybe a slower 4 or 5 like the GS but after that I’d really be splitting hairs. Just not enough delta to make a difference and justify the additional toys. If the Radian went down and needed to head off to Scott, my 486 One or 691 XP could fill its shoes just fine until it returned.

I recently updated the quiver from a row of SLT’s, XP’s, GLX CC and while I loved my 905 SLT, I couldn’t justify keeping it with the 905 Radian in hand. I have bought and sold many rods over the years and never had a problem selling a rod that no longer served a purpose.

I guess I’m the oddity
Nope, not odd at all...least to me. I acquire, then trim the fat. I typically buy top tier rods lightly used, then when I want something brand new, or different, I sell a few. Sure I have rods for a few special applications that don’t see much time out of tube. I have a few sentimental rods that will not ever leave. The rods that remain in my regular trout rotation see A lot of use and stick around until they become irrelevant. It may just be a sickness, dunno...

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Nope, not odd at all...least to me. I acquire, then trim the fat. I typically buy top tier rods lightly used, then when I want something brand new, or different, I sell a few. Sure I have rods for a few special applications that don’t see much time out of tube. I have a few sentimental rods that will not ever leave. The rods that remain in my regular trout rotation see A lot of use and stick around until they become irrelevant. It may just be a sickness, dunno...

I think similarly to you guys. I prefer to have a few highly versatile rods than many specialized tools. I spend most of my fishing time on foot, and have found a 9-10' 5 weight and a 9-10' 6 weight can do everything I need, for my waters. Really the 9'6" 5 could do it all for me troutwise until I'm in a boat. I'd rather have a couple rods that I have a ton of experience with and can predict how they will perform. If I fished every day, that'd be different but being a weekend warrior with an afternoon or maybe two if I'm lucky a week, it just doesn't make sense for me to have niche rods for everything.

But I sure have a good time thinking about all those niche rods anways! :D