Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  80
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Slow, moderate or fast action rods.

Just a topic on my mind as I find myself being a fan of more moderate and sometimes slow action fly rods. Looking at my quiver there are several Scott G rods of all series. I appreciate the action and have been able to nymph, throw wets, dries and dry droppers with these. I do wish to see if Scott updates their Radian this summer but if not, Iím going into 2019 happily fishing these rods. What do you guys prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes scotty macfly, cooutlaw, hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Slow, moderate or fast action rods.

I almost always fish dries and prefer a light (4 weight or less) fast action fly rod. I love my Sage 904 One which is the first rod I have that feels better than my old 864 Sage Z-Axis. I do have a couple original G series Scott rods if I want to throw nymphs and a very fast action Winston boron 6 weight for throwing big streamers.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

Blog Entries

I'm with you. I prefer a moderate action. It works for the type of fishing I do, but more importantly, for my style of casting.

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Iím not much of a streamer guy but have friends that only want to chuck meat! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    I'm with you. I prefer a moderate action. It works for the type of fishing I do, but more importantly, for my style of casting.

steve
    I will never have to make a 70-80 foot cast. My realm is 15-50 feet.

7. Likes scotty macfly, spm, hairwing530 liked this post

I'm very glad this topic has come up because I'm trying to do a little research on something that goes along with this subject, but that will be for another time.

I prefer moderate to mod/fast action, and most of my rods reflect that. As for slow rods, I have three, a 3wt and two 4wts, and two are bamboo These rods are primarily for specifically fishing the creeks using dry flies.

I have one fast action rod, and it doesn't get much use at all.

But my moderate and mod/fast rods are the rods that I use most on the rivers. I just like the feel of the rods when casting, and really enjoy seeing the bend in the rod when playing a fish. Fast tip flexing rods to me have no soul or feel, but I know they are great in the wind and some people just prefer them, and that's fine and dandy. But I kinda have a relaxed casting stroke where I'm not in too much of a hurry, so casting and fishing these rods feels natural to me to where it's a no thinking thing. My slow rods I have to adjust to a little, but I adjust to them quickly. My fast rod takes me a little more getting used to, so I find myself concentrating more when I'm casting that rod, and it does take a little fun out of the whole experience for me.

Yeah, moderate to mod/fast are my happy rods.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

9. Likes cooutlaw, spm, el jefe, hairwing530 liked this post

What I have found true over the years is that often, with many fisherman, too much thought has gone into the gear and too little thought has gone into the joy of fishing.

People are all different and prefer different things, whatever floats one's boat is great with me.

But personally, I want to know that when I grab a rod for the specific water I am approaching, that it will simply allow me to enjoy fishing, that it will disappear in my hand, I won't think about "it" (the rod) at all, but rather concentrate on melting into the experience of fishing. I want effortless and seemless and comfortable....I want to simply enjoy the act of fishing, with a rod that requires no thought of process whatsoever to operate effectively, and is a natural extension of my eyes, mind, and arm.

Then when a rod provides me with the ability to do this, and brings a fish to net, I can look at the rod appreciatively for providing this experience and know it has become my comfortable fishing companion.

Having started with slower, traditional action, rods, I have a nostalgic, soft spot, for them and likely always will. But by todays standards all rods are medium, med/fast, and fast action compared to days gone by.

For me there is a happy median to be found, I don't wish to fish a buggy whip, nor do I wish to fish a broomstick. For my personal preference of rods that allow me to enjoy the act of fishing as above described...they fall into a medium action area...Sage LL, Winston IM6, WT, BIIILS, BIIIX (6wt), PURE,(Perhaps Air) Scott G, G2, GS, type rods, and because I now fly fish exclusively and only for trout, and really prefer smaller, less crowded, water for the majority of my excursions, I am perfectly happy to fish the rest of my days with 2wt-5wt gear and will keep only a couple 6wts for the rare times that I need to throw larger items, or for wind or from a boat on larger water. But all of these rods will be comprised of the ones that allow me to forget the rod is in my hand and simply fish.

Blog Entries

It's difficult to answer in a self effacing way, truth is that I have no real preference at all. I've owned some of the least advanced fly rods you could imagine, that was when I was young. Now I'm growing old I guess and still have the same hobby, fly fishing / casting. My fly rod selection is way larger than I can use in any regular rotation and they range from fiberglass & bamboo to rods like Sage One & X rods. At this point of experience it really doesn't matter what I use, I can make it work in a comfortable manner.

I'm not as fine tuned when it comes to rods as many of you folks are but I can recognize the differences say between my 15 foot Winston 7 weight and the Sage One 13'6" 8 weight when it comes to feel. Same goes with the one hand rods like the difference between my old Far & Fine and the new Sage Foundation #5 I have. In fact I like them all equally I guess.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    But personally, I want to know that when I grab a rod for the specific water I am approaching, that it will simply allow me to enjoy fishing, that it will disappear in my hand, I won't think about "it" (the rod) at all, but rather concentrate on melting into the experience of fishing. I want effortless and seemless and comfortable....I want to simply enjoy the act of fishing, with a rod that requires no thought of process whatsoever to operate effectively, and is a natural extension of my eyes, mind, and arm.
    Could not have said it better.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

13. Thanks cooutlaw thanked for this post
    Likes troutbum_74, hairwing530 liked this post

For big fish in big waters definitely prefer fast action rods.

When pond fishing and small water fishing, the action doesn't matter that much to me...but give me fast action when big wind, big water and big fish.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast