Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Talk me out of another rod

Let me start by saying that it's easy to rationalize why not to buy yet another rod so close in capabilities to what someone already owns. Likewise I could make an equally solid case for adding the Foundation 6 weight just because I already know you are itching to buy a rod.

Seriously it's early January and many people are looking to get their hands on some talisman that assuredly will guarantee a successful trip in the coming year. But remember I said "seriously" in the opening. As for trying to tell me that catching an 8 inch cutthroat on an eight weight just doesn't cut it I'm not of the same mindset. Catching an eight inch cutthroat is cool whether I do it on an eight weight or I noodle it from under a flat boulder in mid stream, I don't draw distinctions when it comes to catching.

The positive side of catching an 8 inch trout on an eight weight is that if the very next grab comes with a 26 inch fish weighing 7 pounds you will have the proper rod in hand. Conversely, if I were fishing somewhere using my 8 weight and every fish I caught was an eight inch fish I would be faced with 2 options: go get my Flea rod and face the challenge with a 6'6" three weight bamboo or change locations and find a bigger fish. Please remember the spirit of the thread here is to talk someone out of buying a six weight when they own several 5 and 8 weight rods.

If it is just to buy something that is eating away at your resolve then take time to think over what item you may get the best and most service from and don't just buy a rod because it's a rod and one you don't currently own. I could do that until I reached a zero balance in my bank account. But that business of an 8 weight being wrong when we catch an 8 inch trout, I don't buy that.

Remember I didn't start the discussion I only posted to it

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes tln1313 liked this post

CWB,
    Unless you are fishing a stillwater for big browns in Oregon you probably won't need a 6wt. unless you want to cast streamers. If it's the river Im thinking of it has good hatches and a 4 wt will do just fine. No need to use the big stuff, but some people do. Pm me and I can fill you in.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    You might get lucky and find a discontinued and previously owned Hardy Zenith for a low price
    In fact there are two of them available on eBay right now. I've got one myself and am very happy with it. Or if you want to buy new, a very good modestly priced one that I like is the Signature H2O from The Fly Shop in Redding, Calif.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/the-f...-h2o-fly-rods/

5. Default Re: Talk me out of another rod

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    CWB,
    Unless you are fishing a stillwater for big browns in Oregon you probably won't need a 6wt. unless you want to cast streamers. If it's the river Im thinking of it has good hatches and a 4 wt will do just fine. No need to use the big stuff, but some people do. Pm me and I can fill you in.
    I absolutely love slinging streamers at browns, or bulls, or anything. I've gotten into some nice cuttys with a streamer. Lots of fun, especially in the mornings or late afternoon when no hatches are going on. The 5wt zero-G struggles to turn a double bunny over.

In response to Ard, I kind of get what you're saying, but respectfully disagree but appreciate the input. Throwing a size 12 red humpy with an 8wt rod with 6x tippet to trout usually no bigger than 15" just seems wrong to me. You can also get into a situation where you think you can just haul it in because you have a telephone pole in your hand, but the 6x will give out.

Bottom line is i'll probably buy a 6wt. Just need to find the right deal. I also know very little about different fly rod manufacturers so this is a pandora's box for me. Fun, but a little overwhelming due to the range of options. Every rod maker has at least 4-6 models of 9' 6wt.

6. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

If you go #6 I can tell you that I bought a 9 foot Foundation 5 weight last year just to see how it stacked up against my 1994 PM-10 five weight. The Sage seems better although I may not be as good a judge of things as many of our members are but I can make an entire 90 foot fly line go up and out the guides. They are what I'd call controllable rods in that you can fish close with grace as well as power out long range casts. I'd expect the six weight to be the same with just a little heavier line.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes clouserguyky liked this post
  9. Default Re: Talk me out of another rod

Just go get you a good 9' 6 weight. I'd go Orvis Recon, Sage Pulse, or Scott Flex. Do you NEED it? Nope. But if you can afford it responsibly it will round things out nicely for you if you need a rod that can throw some weight, handle large fish in strong current, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post

In response to Ard, I kind of get what you're saying, but respectfully disagree but appreciate the input. Throwing a size 12 red humpy with an 8wt rod with 6x tippet to trout usually no bigger than 15" just seems wrong to me. You can also get into a situation where you think you can just haul it in because you have a telephone pole in your hand, but the 6x will give.
    Who would ever do such a thing?

A 9’ 6 wt fly rod should be a
    Staple in just about everyone’s arsenal that fishes for trout and warm water species up to the odd 20# fish. I use mine for targeting white bass, smallmouth, largemouth, Crappie, channel cats, drum and even carp. A lot of guys I fish with on our East Tennessee tailwaters use a 9’ #6 as their primary trout rod. Once you get comfortable with a good quality 6wt, you too will find many “other” uses for it too. It is like the 7 iron in your golf bag. Don’t skimp if you can help it. You got a lot of good suggestions. I will offer a strong second for a Winston BIIIx 690. Even if you have to stretch to 5 bills, do it. That rod will respond to many different fly lines well from a DT5F to a 7wt bass bug tapered line. Just don’t expect to get good positive turnover with a typical trout, 160gr WF6f line and your wet doublebunnie! Appropriate line for appropriate payload. Past rods mentioned like Reddington NTi and Albright EXS were absolutely exceptional casting and fishing examples of 9’ 6’s but are like hens teeth to find. My 690 of choice is a Sage XP 4 pc. You ought to find one in excellent shape for $3-400 on ebay. The 691 version is the same 9’ 6wt with a 1” fighting butt and saltwater safe aluminum reelseat. If you can find a G Loomis NRX used for a good price (under $500), definitely grab that rod too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support your Local Flyshop!

12. Likes sweetandsalt, el jefe, clouserguyky liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mike_r View Post
    A 9’ 6 wt fly rod should be a Staple in just about everyone’s arsenal...Past rods mentioned like Reddington NTi and Albright EXS were absolutely exceptional casting and fishing examples of 9’ 6’s but are like hens teeth to find. My 690 of choice is a Sage XP 4 pc. You ought to find one in excellent shape for $3-400 on ebay. The 691 version is the same 9’ 6wt with a 1” fighting butt and saltwater safe aluminum reelseat. If you can find a G Loomis NRX used for a good price (under $500), definitely grab that rod too!
    There is a conceptual and personnel lineage connecting Nti Nano, EXS, Hardy Zenith and currently, Douglas SKY. Nano was the first fly rod utilizing a Nano resin, titanium ceramic particulates and was a remarkable as well as historical fly rod. Starting with Zenith and continuing in an improved form in SKY, the Nano resin is infused with silica particulates which are easier to uniformly distribute in the resin. This uniformity is crucial to fabrication constancy. It is my onion that if one bemoans the discontinuation of EXS and Zenith, you are in luck as SKY represents an improved contemporary alternative. There is no counterpart though to unique Nti.

Among used rods; in addition to Sage XP, I'll add its contemporaries Loomis GLX and Scott STS (these three have some commonality as well though not personnel) and later, Scott S4 and Sage Z-Axis These are all fine performing, well designed fly rods. Sanded, matt graphite finish STS gets very little mention on our Forum but I don't understand why. I have two of them, a 9'/#4 and a 9 1/2'/#8 and they are very fine rods much in the idiom of GLX and XP.

I would hate to have to use a 6 weight as my primary trout rod, and it's certainly too much rod for most cutthroat. Instead of buying a rod intented to bridge the gap between cutties and bull trout I'd use your 4 or 5 for the cutthroat and buy a rod solely intented for bull trout or big browns and carry both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast