Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compare 3 wts

Default Re: Compare 3 wts

el jefe, You can't get near the browns on this stream. Typically I'll make a 35 - 40' cast downstream against the undercut with an upstream outboard reach and a horizontal amplitude, then feed slack into the drift. When the PMD disappears in a bulging dimple within the bank hugging foam line, it may be a 10" juvenile or its parent twice that length. Such water with its current twisting bends and submerged weed beds requires substernal line manipulation and control and precludes any low mass unfurling upon the water. I'd sooner fish a 5-weight for aerialized control than a 2-weight on this creek. In fact, the first time I fished up this valley, I believe I was fishing my late 70's Far&Fine with a #5 (I regard it a 4.5-weight now with modern lines).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    This rod is relatively rare as Orvis primarily marketed it in Japan. It is one of two #3's I own along with an 8'9"/#3 Sage LL...I haven't fished either in years. Perhaps I erred in getting DART in #4 instead of #3...but they still make them. Fact is, I infrequently fish truly small streams and when I do is when my antiquated Orvis 8'/#4 Western with its well worn CFO gets wet. But now I have DART and plan on casting 8'/#4 Pure in Edison.

Most of my smaller stream habitats are spring creeks and this is where I love fishing a long sequence of 8 1/2'/#4's, currently Sage ONE.

That is my pard, Dillon, on the channel against the rock.

Attachment 14791
    s&s,
    I was not aware this was a rare Orvis rod. I picked it up off ebay in May of this year. Below are pictures I posted, at the time. Butt shows it was built in 1989.

Thank you for the information.
    steve
    20180502_153901.jpg
    20180502_153457.jpg
    20180506_202811.jpg
    20180506_202820.jpg
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

3. Likes sweetandsalt, Ard liked this post
  4. Default Re: Compare 3 wts

hi,

i own several #3.

my actual goto is a stickman p3 9,6 for all conditions.

if i m in the channel or on knees i prefer a custom cts vintage 7,6 - imo softer as a lot of glasses.

if im on tricky dries i take my custom sage x 9f/hardy zenith 9f or more classical my custom brunner amabile 2000 7f.

im also familiar with my zephrus 10f on nymphs.

nice week.

thomas

What is your favorite three weight and why?
    How many three weights have you fished, your opinion on them, and in what configurations?
    What new three weight are you eyeballing as a prospective purchase?
    How many three weights do you own?
    Do you also prefer the 3 wt as an all around light weight rod? If not what do you prefer?
    My favorite 3wt's are just about any bamboo 7' 3wt fly rod. I haven't fished one yet that didn't give you a mental connection to the rod when fishing one. Thinking of those power fibers producing a full bend on a small stream fish. That's what I like. That's all I can think of right now since writing this is making me jones for bamboo.
    I've fished about 15 3wt's with more than half bamboo. I've also fished sage, winston, orvis, st croix, cabelas, can't think of any others.
    Currently interested in the sage dart. I am a sage fan. However I feel you can put a weight forward line on any 3wt and make it a close range pistol. Do I really need a new tech fly rod to do that.
    I own 7 3wt's. I've been a small stream angler for most of my life with and without a fly rod.
    I have 3,4,5 and 6 wt's. I could fish my streams with a 0wt. But a 3wt is a good line for the size fly I use on small streams.
    steve

6. Likes cooutlaw, mka liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    I love small stream rods and small stream fishing. For my 3-weights, I have two, a Sage ZXL 386-4 for more adverse conditions and bigger water (a relative term here), and a Scott F2 703/3 for the smaller stuff, and meadow streams.

I covet a few more: the Scott F Series in 583/4, and 723/5, and the Epic Fastglass II in 370-4. A Blue Halo 376-4 could make it into the quiver, too, along with a Ijuin Yomogi 703.

I also got for my girls the Redington CT in 386-4 and 376-4. I will sometimes take those, when they're not looking.

You can really go down the rabbit hole with the light line weights.
    Light Line can quickly become an addiction....there are pretty active forums dedicated to it....once you become surgical at it, and begin to explore the options available....there is hardly another pursuit which can provide the same tranquil, one on one, near deafness and crystal clear perception of ones surroundings and the experience, almost a near Zen situation, there allows for zero mistake in ones plan, technique, and presentation, and it requires focus and skill far beyond that of a larger water experience, which arguably, is more forgiving, and allows for second, third, and fourth chances. Small water, rarely offers a second chance. It is indeed a dry fly junkies happy place.
    Last edited by cooutlaw; 01-09-2019 at 04:32 PM.

8. Likes jamesrick, el jefe, perryk, mka liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    el jefe, You can't get near the browns on this stream. Typically I'll make a 35 - 40' cast downstream against the undercut with an upstream outboard reach and a horizontal amplitude, then feed slack into the drift. When the PMD disappears in a bulging dimple within the bank hugging foam line, it may be a 10" juvenile or its parent twice that length. Such water with its current twisting bends and submerged weed beds requires substernal line manipulation and control and precludes any low mass unfurling upon the water. I'd sooner fish a 5-weight for aerialized control than a 2-weight on this creek. In fact, the first time I fished up this valley, I believe I was fishing my late 70's Far&Fine with a #5 (I regard it a 4.5-weight now with modern lines).
    I just bring the hammer.

You might be surprised what a 280 ZXL can do. I can easily hit 50' and a teacup with it, with aerial line manipulation. That is truly a remarkable rod, as is its stablemate the 386 ZXL. In my humble opinion, Sage hasn't topped the ZXL as a trout rod.

ZXL is a Sage series I have never had experience with, I know you love yours and I'm confident they are excellent. Several of my established positions are being challenged here of late...sub 4-weight line rods and up under General, I'm being picked on for not trying the Euro Nymph technique.

I have expressed this thought before, but I wonder why Sage's trout series don't get more attention. The SLT was a great trout series, as was its successor, the ZXL. Then the Circa came along, which was not of that lineage, but the Mod returns to said lineage. In my limited experience with the Mod, it is very much in the SLT/ZXL mold, but it lacks the trout-type configurations. Until Sage added the Mod in an 8'6" 4-weight and 5-weight, all of the Mods were 9', from 2-weight to 6-weight. That's just odd, and I think it limits the Mod's popularity. If there were a 386 or 376 or 276 Mod, those would be serious contenders on their own, and make the Mod a true trout series of rods. Why Sage went all 9' to start with on the Mod series, I don't know. If the Mod were offered in a 386 and 376, you would see it here on this thread.

Sage does have the Dart series, which harkens back to the TXL line, but those are different animals than the SLT/ZXL/Mod line. Sage has a lot of dedicated lightweight trout rods, but they live in the shadow of their own "fast" rods. Sage's trout series are the best kept secret in the industry. Everybody knows about the Scott and Winston trout rods--they are basically trout rod companies--but how many people even think about the Mod when they hear the word "Sage?"

12. Likes mka liked this post

I have no intelligence on MOD's future plans but I agree that if they offered it in shorter lengths and a more subdued color it would generate lots more attention among those favoring WT and G type rods I've mentioned previously that over the summer I encountered by chance in Idaho a renowned, industry insider angler on a great and challenging larger river and what was he fishing?, a 9'/#5 MOD.

He seems to be absent of late but seatlesetters waxes poetically about the discontinued Little ONEs, ironically, with my passion for bigger ONEs, I never test casted one of those which I now regret.

14. Likes el jefe liked this post

One of my old fav's is the SLT 586. I felt that rod in a 9 got a bit tip sloppy. It has a slightly more supple feel to it than one of my all time favorite rods the 586 RPL. As the spring approaches and I can get back on the mid size moving waters I will bring out the dart for a toss. the rod feels superb but under condition I still have no experience. It is one of the sub 8' rods that still feels like the tip carries the rod forward nicely without the butt end killing the progression.

Still my goto 3 is the 380 RPL. The rod is pleasant on all fronts and can easily handle that of a soft 4 when the need arises and can go as supple as one would ever need. I find myself switching between 18-22 soft landing medium distance dries to small tandem buggers for the surprise fish who wants an ambush. work continues to heavily burden my ability to get on the water so i guess it's good that it is still winter outside.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast