Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  45
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Compare 3 wts

Default Re: Compare 3 wts

Has anyone cast and/or fished the Scott G Series 843 and 883 together and what were your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I have no intelligence on MOD's future plans but I agree that if they offered it in shorter lengths and a more subdued color it would generate lots more attention among those favoring WT and G type rods I've mentioned previously that over the summer I encountered by chance in Idaho a renowned, industry insider angler on a great and challenging larger river and what was he fishing?, a 9'/#5 MOD.

He seems to be absent of late but seatlesetters waxes poetically about the discontinued Little ONEs, ironically, with my passion for bigger ONEs, I never test casted one of those which I now regret.
    Richard, from a fly shop friend, I am under the impression that the Little ONE is a TXL descendant, and not related to the bigger ONE, even though it shares its name and is dressed similarly. The Little One is the application of the ONE's Konnetic technology and appearance, but on the TXL taper/platform.

3. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

Love three weights. Got several in all three materials.

My love got them started with Orvis. Got the Tippet but sold the Western Tippet.

Three weights are a lot more versatile than one might think. Delicacy yet enough oomph to handle fish up to 20 inch

Sage 389-4 LL is the 3 weight I own and it is a sweet dry fly rod (MHO). I have used a cortland 444 Peach for years and recently just purchased the Rio Lt. trout to try. I guess this up-coming spring will reveal a return to the 444 or not.

There are some really nice three weights out there, some that I have tried (casting and/or fishing) and thought they were good:

Winston BIIX (cant remember length but think it was 8'6" 4 piece)...smooth.
    Sage TXL-F ( Very light and fun to cast, if I did more small water fly fishing I probably would have purchased one of these, eye candy rod with an attractive reel seat, knock was it was a 3 piece (7'6" length)
    Redington CT 386-4. At the time it was 79 bucks....best by far a best value purchase. Fun and really light crisp casting tool, 14" trout felt like an 8lb Silver. Rod is kinda cheap looking with sub-par components. If they dressed it up better, or made an upper series with better components I think it would have done very well. I know they dropped this series and changed it (forget name...trout series?) then supposedly reversed their decision after several months and returned to the CT series. ???
    St. Croix Imperial 90's-00's version (dark brown). Slow action and a real bender when fighting small fish. good roll caster and when paired with right line, think i was using a douple taper would lay down the dry morsel so gently. A well crafted and nice looking rod, all the St. Croix rods I have owned were of this 90's era and some of the best quality cork I have ever seen.
    Shakespeare Glass (white/green rod), friend had this and I played with it for a few hours. Fun fun fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bwf View Post
    Sage 389-4 LL is the 3 weight I own and it is a sweet dry fly rod (MHO). I have used a cortland 444 Peach for years and recently just purchased the Rio Lt. trout to try. I guess this up-coming spring will reveal a return to the 444 or not.

There are some really nice three weights out there, some that I have tried (casting and/or fishing) and thought they were good:

Winston BIIX (cant remember length but think it was 8'6" 4 piece)...smooth.
    Sage TXL-F ( Very light and fun to cast, if I did more small water fly fishing I probably would have purchased one of these, eye candy rod with an attractive reel seat, knock was it was a 3 piece (7'6" length)
    Redington CT 386-4. At the time it was 79 bucks....best by far a best value purchase. Fun and really light crisp casting tool, 14" trout felt like an 8lb Silver. Rod is kinda cheap looking with sub-par components. If they dressed it up better, or made an upper series with better components I think it would have done very well. I know they dropped this series and changed it (forget name...trout series?) then supposedly reversed their decision after several months and returned to the CT series. ???
    St. Croix Imperial 90's-00's version (dark brown). Slow action and a real bender when fighting small fish. good roll caster and when paired with right line, think i was using a douple taper would lay down the dry morsel so gently. A well crafted and nice looking rod, all the St. Croix rods I have owned were of this 90's era and some of the best quality cork I have ever seen.
    Shakespeare Glass (white/green rod), friend had this and I played with it for a few hours. Fun fun fun.
    The TXL-F were a 4-piece configuration, in largely a 7'10" length. The original TXL were 3-piece, and the lengths stayed at 7'10", with a few exceptions.

The Redington CT did indeed change its name briefly, to the Tempt, then back again, as you noted. I think sales of the Tempt version went in the tank, and Redington quickly switched it back, where it remains today. The CT has to be one of the longest running rod models available right now, and if I were Redington, I would not get rid of it. And I agree with you on the 386; the 376 is a honey, too.

7. Thanks bwf thanked for this post
    Likes jajohn liked this post

Your right...it was the TXL. and probably the 7'10" is right too, it was many years ago.

Thanks, the 'Tempt' ....ufdah...my memory at times.

9. Default Re: Compare 3 wts

Two 3 weights, both glass, and both great rods.

1. Older Scott, brown glass.

2. Chris Barclay original 7'2".

I only have one 3 weight rod and I was actually thinking of selling the combo as I only used it twice times last year. I admit it was fun to fish and even the smallest trout will put a smile on my face. I just rarely get to fish small water, But it is a blast when used. It's a New Sage Lil one 8'2" 3 weight with a Sage 4230 Platinum reel with a Orvis Hydros HD Trout 3 weight. This Orvis line had the lightest touch on the water as did the Mastery Trout line in a 4 weight, both just perfect for small Dries... Anyone looking for a Beauty of a combo hit me up Mike

Own two soon to be three.
    My Greys 7'6" needs tip replaced and not confident in the Temple Fork 3 wt I had for a back up. Local store has a Fenwick 7' 3 wt on clearance so might pick it up.

I live close to a few creeks that hold speckles and browns and anything larger than a 3 wt is overkill. So much fun to land a creek trout on a 3wt.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

12. Likes cooutlaw liked this post

My favorite kind of fly fishing is ultra-light gear on mountain streams and creeks. I love hiking through the woods and following a stream as far as I can go and yet still get back to the truck before the sun goes down. As a result, I own five 3wt rods and they are made from bamboo, graphite, and glass...each with it's own attributes and personalities. We were shut out of our mountain NPs for a long period last year, but I still managed to get on some of my favorite small streams before the cold weather ushered in.

The rod that I'm most emotionally attached to is my Winston 6'6" 3wt Retro Glass rod. It has a custom (from the factory) down-locking, sliding ring real seat and is the rod that always puts a smile on my face. With its length, it can go anywhere and is a blast with a trout on the end of the line. It casts like a dream with a Rio Lightline on it. The other rod that I use much of the time is a Sage X 376 rod...it's the "bookend" to my Winston Retro. The X is a very impressive rod in it's versatility and is effective whether I'm working a stream in close or shooting out a fly to a far target. The Winston gets the nod for deep woods action and the Sage gets strung up for the more open meandering small streams in high altitude meadows. These two rods got the most action last year and will be find themselves doing same this year.

If I do add another 3wt to this collection of mine, it will be a Winston 7' Pure or a vintage WT...the WT tugs at me all the time because of how much I enjoy my 4wt and 6wt WT rods.

MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mka133

14. Likes jeepster II, cooutlaw, proheli, el jefe liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast