Compare 3 wts

cooutlaw

Reaction score
As I've grown a bit older, I've developed an affinity for smaller water, high elevation creeks, and small watersheds and tributaries from tail waters, for several reasons;

1) They are plentiful within an easily commutable distance of me.
2) They are FAR less crowded than the larger waters, (particularly here in Colorado where angler quantities are robust), therefore, provide a more tranquil experience.
3) They are easy to wade if needed and fishable almost always without worry of flows.
4) They can be fished with lightweight, very pleasant to use, gear.
5) They offer, potentially, as great or greater challenge in stalking wary fish. (smaller fish naturally are predator hyper sensitive as easier targets).
6) They offer, by location, exceptional insect habitat in most instances, and therefore offer, arguably, heightened opportunities for fishing dry's. (think size 22 Parachute Adams and Brookies).

Because of this, I have become somewhat of a light line enthusiast over the last 5-7 years. I know that many people do not fish lower line weights, that they prefer the mass of larger line for casting manipulation, and that certainly, any smaller of body can be fished with larger gear. However, I have come to know this aspect as a challenging, new dimension, to my fishing resume. Becoming an artist with a 3 wt or lighter is it's own unique skill set, requiring a bit of re-write of one's casting prowess, and a completely different set of presentation expertise. I also would argue, that a 3 wt is an optimum medium for this canvas. In recent years, light line rods and lines have come about from 3,2,1 wts. to 0,00,000,0000 wts. and who knows how much lighter, but, I have found that as an all around light line configuration, 3wt is the most usable, especially under any slightly adverse conditions that may arise. The lightest weight I own is a 1 wt. But find, with the exception of one 2wt. I hold in admiration, that the 3wt is the "5 weight all arounder" of light line configurations.

With this in mind, I thought I would open up a post for others that may be light line enthusiasts, or those exploring the options where we might compare 3 wts and our experiences there-of. Especially since the 3wt options currently in market are catering to the niche quite admirably and are very robust as of current, in both Glass and Graphite + material design.

What is your favorite three weight and why?
How many three weights have you fished, your opinion on them, and in what configurations?
What new three weight are you eyeballing as a prospective purchase?
How many three weights do you own?
Do you also prefer the 3 wt as an all around light weight rod? If not what do you prefer?

Aaaaaand Gooooooo...........

spm

Reaction score
I own two 3-weights; a 7'6" glass custom rod made for me by Midwest Custom Fly Rods and a 8'3" graphite Orvis Western Series. I like both of them for different reasons. The shorter glass rod gets me into brushy creeks and the Orvis gives me a little more reach on more open streams. I can cast them equally well, so I don't really have a favorite between them. I have cast a buddy's 7'6" St. Croix Ultra. It's more of a full-flex than mine, so would take getting used to. I owned a 7'6" 1-weight graphite, for a short time. I just could not make friends with that rod, so I sold it. So, my answer would be to not go any lighter, at least for now.

Thanks,
steve

plecain

Reaction score
I fish 3 wt (and lighter) rods often.

They're not current, but I'd suggest the Echo3 7'6" 3 wt. or the Sage TXL-F 7'10" 3 wt.
The TXL-F is faster than the Echo, but not hugely so.
I've used both of these on fish ranging from 5" to 24". They're light when you want that for small fish and strong enough when you need it for larger ones.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a plethora of 3's. Including the unfished Dart. My fav is probably the 380 RPL. The RPL's (8'6" and under) still make me shake my head even vs all new rod tech. Powell Legacy, Winston 386 BIII, Helios 8'4", I think I have 7 or 8 3's...These posts make me feel like a rod monger. I have a disease.

As you can imagine I spend a great deal of my fishing time on small waters with the kiddos.

hunter1

Reaction score
I use my 3 wt when the water is low and the fish spookier than normal. I use a Sage LL 3 wt. She can lay the line down so smooth, Provided I don't mess up. :D

tln1313

Reaction score
I have 4 3wts. One is a special purpose Euro Nymph Sage ESN which sees little use. The most frequently used are a Scott G2 8'8" 3wt, Hardy 7' 3wt The Stream glass rod, and a Winston LT 7'9" 3wt. I probably reach for the Winston the most as the 5pc rod tube is easiest to pack into mountain streams. I love the G2, but it has to be an outing with not much of a breeze, and with little likelihood of throwing much other than Sulphurs or Rusty Spinners or other smallish/medium dries. And the Hardy Stream-if it were only a 4 or 5 Piece-it would go everywhere as I enjoy the feel and action of the rod.

Last edited:

lepirate

Reaction score
Somewhat different waters, I think, from reading Gierach etc. Small streams here, not long rivers so fairly close to the tide running off Dartmoor with no snow melt. 4 #3 rods, 1, 10ft for clear open water where control of line is paramount. 2, Greys 7'6"#3 for most streams with a little headroom. 3, 6'6" Orvis troutbum, my favourite small stream rod.. just perfect. 4, Chinese 6'6" 3, very nice rod, little bit faster than the Orvis and, in very covered streams, don't care about scratching it..
The Superfine Trout bum, (about 2006 ish) is the nicest rod I own, would love it in a 7ft and a 7'6" #4 (Same blanks as the T3) but can't afford it.. Ah.. the size of trout run to 3 to the pound but have sea trout to 5 pound+ish and the Orvis(best), actually all the rods hold 4lb fish well and bigger if tippet allows..
:D

Last edited:

tpo

Reaction score
I have a bunch of 3 wts, and a couple of 2's. One fiberglass in each line size, and a few graphites. None are terrible expensive but all work fine.

The small trout streams I fish rarely have a lot of wind and don't have many fish greater than 8-9". I prefer my 2 weights for that fishing, its a lot of fun with small dries. I recently picked up a Redington Classic Trout in 2wt, I'm liking it so far.

I use the 3 weights more for panfishing on larger water, like the CA Delta, close to where I live. They handle wind better, especially when overweighted with a 4 wt line, and throws beadheads better. I also catch a fair number of largemouth up to about 4 lbs when panfishing, and the slightly heavier rod can handle them better and is still a blast to fish with a nice size bluegill or crappie.

Tom

perryk

Reaction score
7'9" Diamondback Classic or Winston WT 803... two of the sweetest small water trout rods ever made..

zjory

Reaction score
My favorite fishing is high mountain streams and alpine lakes in Colorado. I have two 3 weights. A 7’6” 3 weight Blue Halo and a 703 Scott F2. I think 3 weights are perfectly matched to glass.

saflyfish

Reaction score
I fish 3 wt (and lighter) rods often.

They're not current, but I'd suggest the Echo3 7'6" 3 wt. or the Sage TXL-F 7'10" 3 wt.
The TXL-F is faster than the Echo, but not hugely so.
I've used both of these on fish ranging from 5" to 24". They're light when you want that for small fish and strong enough when you need it for larger ones.
What line do you recommend for the Sage Txl-f 3wt 7'10?

jamesrick

Reaction score
I realy enjoy fishing my Winston LT 379 on smaller mountain streams. It has a smooth action- especially for a 5 piece rod but some power when the wind picks up. The build quality and aesthetics of the rod is also great.

My second 3 weight for bigger waters and light nymphing applications is a NRX-LP #3 8,8. Also a nice rod but not special like my Winstons or older Sages (especially LL and SLT).

Redrock

Reaction score
I own a 389 LL, but see it as more of a “perfect day” big spring creek rod. I don’t own a true small stream rod.

I suppose I’m an old dude who is resistant to change. I was not a fan of short rods as a young guy and particularly disliked fiberglass. If I find one I can borrow while I’m out west this summer, I may try a small stream fiberglass rod. I’ve got a small creek in mind for it.

Papafish

Papafish
Reaction score
I have been using a Douglas Upstream 7'3" 3wt. 4pc. with RossEvo 1, Rio trout wf3f line. For all the same reasons you list. I fish Colorado small streams also.

Sage SLT Graphite lll 8'3" 3wt. 4pc.

The Douglas is more forgiving if you are using 7x or 8x tippet which i do from time to time.

Both rods have there place, I use Sage on Bigger water.

Orvis Superfine glass 7'6" 3wt is what I have been looking.

I use 2wt., 3wt & 4wt. all depends on the water and the target fish.

dennyk

Reaction score
My only 3 wt is a 7'6" Scott Flex, love this little rod for small water and small flies. It is a pleasant departure from my "all around 5 wt" even landing smaller trout and Bluegills is a blast! I don't plan on adding another, I have a well rounded quiver of my workhorse rods being 3, 5, 6, 7 & 8 weights and enjoy fishing all of them. The 3 wt just puts a smile on my face.

Denny

el jefe

Reaction score
I love small stream rods and small stream fishing. For my 3-weights, I have two, a Sage ZXL 386-4 for more adverse conditions and bigger water (a relative term here), and a Scott F2 703/3 for the smaller stuff, and meadow streams.

I covet a few more: the Scott F Series in 583/4, and 723/5, and the Epic Fastglass II in 370-4. A Blue Halo 376-4 could make it into the quiver, too, along with a Ijuin Yomogi 703.

I also got for my girls the Redington CT in 386-4 and 376-4. I will sometimes take those, when they're not looking.

You can really go down the rabbit hole with the light line weights.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I own an 8'3" graphite Orvis Western Series.
This rod is relatively rare as Orvis primarily marketed it in Japan. It is one of two #3's I own along with an 8'9"/#3 Sage LL...I haven't fished either in years. Perhaps I erred in getting DART in #4 instead of #3...but they still make them. Fact is, I infrequently fish truly small streams and when I do is when my antiquated Orvis 8'/#4 Western with its well worn CFO gets wet. But now I have DART and plan on casting 8'/#4 Pure in Edison.

Most of my smaller stream habitats are spring creeks and this is where I love fishing a long sequence of 8 1/2'/#4's, currently Sage ONE.

That is my pard, Dillon, on the channel against the rock.

W11 188 Big Sheep Creek vs.jpg

el jefe

Reaction score
This rod is relatively rare as Orvis primarily marketed it in Japan. It is one of two #3's I own along with an 8'9"/#3 Sage LL...I haven't fished either in years. Perhaps I erred in getting DART in #4 instead of #3...but they still make them. Fact is, I infrequently fish truly small streams and when I do is when my antiquated Orvis 8'/#4 Western with its well worn CFO gets wet. But now I have DART and plan on casting 8'/#4 Pure in Edison.

Most of my smaller stream habitats are spring creeks and this is where I love fishing a long sequence of 8 1/2'/#4's, currently Sage ONE.

That is my pard, Dillon, on the channel against the rock.

View attachment 14791
That screams 2-weight to me, 3-weight tops.:D