Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  84
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Compare 3 wts

Default Re: Compare 3 wts

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    Check out the Telluride Angler website, and their review of the Winston Pure 376. Let's just say their thoughts have me interested in getting a rod I don't need.

By the way, Telluride Angler is pretty well thought of on this forum for their no-nonsense reviews of rods. I have read their reviews, corresponded with their folks, visited the shop in person, and bought several rods from them.
    Well, I did a bad, bad thing by trying that rod today. It was amazing, especially when I compared it to a $150 Redington Classic Trout. I'm really curious to see how an Orvis Superfine Carbon stacks up.

2. Likes el jefe, mka, Redbrook liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by krooj View Post
    Well, I did a bad, bad thing by trying that rod today. It was amazing, especially when I compared it to a $150 Redington Classic Trout. I'm really curious to see how an Orvis Superfine Carbon stacks up.
    You're not helping me!!

4. Likes mka, krooj, ixoye liked this post

Well, as long as this thread is about comparing 3 wts, I got to talk to John at TA a couple of weeks ago, and he thought the 376 in the AIR was one of the honey spots in the AIR line-up. You might as well put the Pure against the AIR and see what you think. I find the AIRs to feel a touch smoother than the Pures, but the 905 Pure is near the top on my next rods list.
    Last edited by proheli; 03-15-2019 at 09:49 AM.

6. Likes mka liked this post

Curious why the Scott F Series hasn't been mentioned here. Seems like it could be a pretty special little group of light line rods for creekin'. Does anyone have any experience with the F Series?

Quote Originally Posted by moosejuice View Post
    Curious why the Scott F Series hasn't been mentioned here. Seems like it could be a pretty special little group of light line rods for creekin'. Does anyone have any experience with the F Series?
    They are special and very well respected as top tier rods. I think there was a hint earlier at them. I also think a lot of people (myself included) consider 3 weights to be more versatile than for just really small creeks, so potentially the longer, more versatile, rods are more in the spotlight within this post.

Since I started the thread, I'll chime in with groupings of 3 wts that are all specialized for different duty in my mind - tiny creek rods, maybe glass, maybe graphite, 7' or under, the Scott F series you mentioned being some of the many rods in this category. Small water 3wts, creeks to smaller tail waters and offshoots, 7'+ with 7'6" range being the norm, more versatile, and some very capable of even larger payloads and bigger water- these are the 7'6" Pure/Biiils's and GS773's category or Sage Dart 376 or Radian 763 if one is seeking faster and more wind resistant coverage. Then we have the Med. to Med. + size water 8'+ 3wts, which are often used for long leaders, light tippets, and longer distances for the pickiest of fish, these are the 8' 3wt Winston IM6, Winston Air 386 and Scott GS 843 and 883 rods of the world.

I'm guessing the specific habitat that people posting here fish in most often, is what is dictating their favorite 3wts and the majority of 3wts they have in their quivers. That was actually one of the reasons I created this thread, so that we could all share experiences with our favorite 3wts and learn about rods we might be unfamiliar with, as well as get solid reviews of rods we might be considering for future purchases. And, further, learn why people like particular rods and how they perform to them.....for these reasons, this has been one of my favorite threads, even if I did start it.

I love small water rods and fishing....and although I'm thinning down my collection toward retirement and downsizing, and keeping only 2wt-6wt gear for specifically trout fishing only, I had more 3wts than any other weight class of rod, and thinning them has been the hardest facet of culling my collection. I'm now down to 12 2&3 wt rods and I almost feel like I'm under equipped and questionably prepared.

To answer your original question - the F Series rods from Scott are killer small creek rods, I have cast and fished several models and configurations from the original F to F2, and now F Series. I particularly like the latest iteration in a 663 version. That said, for same duty, VERY few graphite models stand up to great glass in this specialized category, BUT, I happen to own a few that do and then some. Winston IM6 702, IM6 662, IM6 663, IM6 703, and a 6'10" Scott G Murray Mountain Trout....all of which, I promise you, will brush bust small creeks with any of the best Glass Rods ever produced. Sadly though, most of them (the Winston's) are no longer in production, even in WT format. So.....if I was looking to fill that specialized role from the current production rods....a Scott F Series would be high on my radar.
    Last edited by cooutlaw; 03-15-2019 at 12:17 AM.

9. Thanks moosejuice thanked for this post
    Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

I have been using an Echo Glass 6'9" 3 weight the last couple years, and it has been fun on tiny, bushy creeks. Effortless little roll casts and superb presentation. When I fish more open areas that require no more than a 3 weight I wished I had something a little longer, just easier to pick up line, mend, and get over top of obstacles.

Which leads me to my latest purchase, a Redington Classic Tout 8' 3 weight. I have only wiggle tested it as it has been blowing wind and pissing rain for the last few days. But I can tell already I am going to really enjoy this stick! It has a ton of soul, almost as much as the glass, but with a better recovery and obviously will give me the extra reach I need in certain scenarios. I can't test it on trout until later in April, but I am really looking forward to it, should have some opportunities to fish for some panfish before then. Both these rods are being used with SA sharkskin DT line.
    Danny

I realize this thread is about 3wts and their many attributes. But, a rod that I would recommend that fishes very much like a 3wt, has fantastic feel and short/med distance cast-ability, and wonderful fit/finish, that would be... "the Tom Morgan Favorite as a specialized 2-piece, extra light, 8 4-weight, made from moderate modulus graphite for those close to mid-range distances where delicacy, finesse, and accuracy are essential". These rods are mfg on a limited basis by Winston. A very special rod...especially today in the world of Fast and Faster, Stiff and Stiffer rods. PS I confess I am a Winston fan. But, I also am a big fan of the Orvis Superfine carbon rods. Then again I love all quality built rods with friendly actions (slow, medium, fast and all in between)...."friendly actions" means friendly to me....perhaps even becoming a dear friend. That's the TMF...a dear friend.
    "On the water...the perfect cast...a beautiful fish...fooled at last!"
    O J Chartrand Jr

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    ...I also think a lot of people (myself included) consider 3 weights to be more versatile than for just really small creeks, so potentially the longer, more versatile, rods are more in the spotlight within this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post

Which leads me to my latest purchase, a Redington Classic Tout 8' 3 weight.
    I've got a 703/4 glass, and now I want the 803, this one the Larry Kinney glass. That extra foot is very exciting I think, as long as you can get rid of the wobble and oscillations. Lively glass in close is hard to beat. Below that I'd drop to a 6'6 2 wt, (don't have one) and my fishing there hasn't been any need for a 6'0 rod yet.

I think cooutlaw, and as others have said, is really right on when he says a lot of it is dicatated by the water someone fishes. It's the particular guy that is there, who is the one who sees his environment and gets the idea/solution in his head, wow a 763 would be perfect for this, or what ever size/action it may be. This to me is the pursuit of art in action. To me that is why there are so many sizes and actions of rods. i
    Last edited by proheli; 03-15-2019 at 12:23 PM.

13. Likes cooutlaw liked this post

cooutlaw and all, Have any of you sampled the Douglas Upstream low modulus graphite rods? There are 6 3-weigts in this series from 6 1/2' to 8'3". Reading this thread makes me want a new 3-weight. I just don't fish much 3-weight appropriate habitat but I'll bet I can find some.

Maybe someplace like this with Dillon with a fish on.

W12 034 Loving Creek [PS vs].jpg

Back to Winston, the small stream specialty company, I feel in a minority here with such legitimate enthusiasm for Pure but don't overlook AIR. In my 8'/#4 side-by-side I slightly preferred the AIR and wish it was even more differentiated from Pure. And I want AIR2 painted matte green like Salt AIR (some have already said, no).

15. Likes proheli, el jefe, cooutlaw liked this post

I will just add, to perpetuate from the onset of this thread; there is something very intimate and intriguing about small water, the quiet and calmness, the ease of wading, the challenge and demand of stalking extremely predator aware, hyper sensitive, skiddish and spooky fish, in gin clear water with complete visibility.

The skill of any angler, no matter how seasoned, will be tested to their core in situations that allow for literally one single perfect presentation or game over, there are often no second chances as are readily acceptable and expected in larger and deeper water. It heightens ones senses beyond compare, and dares anglers to be diligently aware of their surroundings, to completely entrance themselves into the setting, to focus from a far more cerebral and predatory mindset place, to challenge oneself to become a true artist with the most delicate of gear, it's addicting and becomes a near zen like experience once an accomplished level is achieved.

For anyone that has not had the experience of quality small water and light line gear, I would implore you to experience it for yourself.

To further dispel the myth of small water/small fish, I have a friend who specifically guides small water in an undisclosed location it is a 50 mile long creek system with depth between 4"s and a max of maybe 30"s it's about 10'-25', maybe 30' width in most sections-it's 3wt heaven, these are some pictures of a fairly happy client and one of him....I hope to be fishing this system more and more as time goes on.

3wt water can be pretty special....one of the reasons I started this thread was to expand the mindsets of those who have not experienced this specialty niche of the sport, in hopes that it may spark interest for them and hopefully allow them to enjoy it as well.

brianfish.jpg

Brianfish2.jpg
    Last edited by cooutlaw; 03-16-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast