Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oldie but newbie question

Iíve been fishing walleye, crappie, and SMB all my life with spinning tackle and trolling gear. Iíve fly fished a few times before and now have a renewed interest in the hobby. I mention my experience because I appreciate good equipment and know the difference, at least in that world. However, I hate Paying retail and tend to shop eBay quite a bit.

Iím gearing up in an effort to pursue the hobby again and have been doing lots of reading and research. I plan on fishing the Driftless region for trout primarily and I am looking for an all purpose rod. So far, my findings are leading me to fish a 5wt, mostly because of wanting to throw streamers. Otherwise a 3 or 4 wt seem to be preferable.

With that in mind, Iím leaning towards the the Loomis NRX 9í/5wt LP. Supposedly a better 5wt for closer in work (Small Stream/Driftless) but still powerful enough to throw streamers easily.

Am I headed in the right direction?

Buying on eBay doesnít afford me a ton of options for lawn casting before purchase.

Thanks all.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oldie but newbie question

Hi,

You can get a pretty good idea of the most popular rod brands as well as reel just by browsing threads in the Fly Rods or Fly Reels sub forums.

When it comes to choosing a used fly rod I strongly suggest that you look to the top of the Fly Rods sub forum for a Sticky Thread titled Tips For Buying Used Rods. That thread details almost every slip fall that you could fail to notice or to ask a seller about when shopping the eBay fly rods.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes spm liked this post

The NRX LP 9' #5 is a finesse rod. While you can chuck lighter streamers up to 5" its bread and butter is the feel whilst presenting dries.

You could look for a 6 wt Fenwick Aetos as more of an all-around starter rod if you're leaning towards streamers.

For reels I'd recommend Orvis's Battenkill which matches the Aetos perfectly.

Back to Loomis I'd go NRX Trout before the LP or try to find a used demo or IMX PRO guide rod

I would also take a look at Scott's Radian though savings on eBay is doubtful

5. Likes Seabass77 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by hollisd View Post
    The NRX LP 9' #5 is a finesse rod. While you can chuck lighter streamers up to 5" its bread and butter is the feel whilst presenting dries.

You could look for a 6 wt Fenwick Aetos as more of an all-around starter rod if you're leaning towards streamers.

For reels I'd recommend Orvis's Battenkill which matches the Aetos perfectly.

Back to Loomis I'd go NRX Trout before the LP or try to find a used demo or IMX PRO guide rod

I would also take a look at Scott's Radian though savings on eBay is doubtful
    Am I going to have trouble making accurate cast and getting the rod to load with the trout version? Fishing in the Driftless is all pretty close in.

Blog Entries

I own the NRX LP and believe it would satisfy your needs. I use it as an all-around rod, Nymphing and swinging buggers with some slightly larger streamers but I really love it when I am fishing dry flies. I do believe you should try casting as many rods as possible before buying a rod. The LP has a medium action that I find easy to cast. You may prefer a more medium-fast to fast rod if you want to throw streames more. My 6 weight is more for streamers and smallmouth fishing.

Bill

8. Likes Seabass77, clouserguyky liked this post

I’m hoping to get away with one rod for now, but it makes sense to have two rods. Or more, we are fishermen right ? : )

I wouldn’t say I’m leaning streamers, just want an all purpose rod. I just measured some streamers I picked up locally on recommendation and the largest one was 3.5”. I’m not sure where that sits on the size spectrum.

The good thing about that rod on ebay is that you could probably sell it for around what you paid if it doesn't work out. I use ebay a lot. I have bought 9 or 10 rods there, and have sold 5 or 6. You end up paying ebay their cut to test drive a rod. When you first start fly fishing, it's hard to know what you're looking for in a rod. It takes time to learn to cast, if you haven't developed a stroke it takes a lot more than a few test casts with someone looking over your shoulder to know if a rod will work for you. In this way, I think test casting, while it's never a bad idea, is a little over rated for a beginner. I actually like ebay for this reason. It gives you the chance to own a rod for less and trade it in if need be.

Also, if you haven't looked at the Yellowstone rod shootouts, you should definitely check them out. They have done shootouts for both 4 and 5wts, where they make in depth comparisons between different rods, both top and middle tiers. They do a pretty good job at staying objective.

11. Likes Seabass77 liked this post

NRX#5 is one of my favorite trout rods, however, its temperament is best suited to bigger water. I think you would be well off with the LP#5, a fine casting and capable rod, to get you re-oriented in fly fishing. If you take to it you, I guarantee, will acquire additional more specialized rods in coming seasons.

13. Likes brownbass, hollisd liked this post
    Blog Entries

I noticed that there is an NRX LP 5 wt for sale in the classified Fly rod and Reels section of this forum if your interested and if it is still up for sale. You may want to check it out.

Sorry, It is SOLD.

I noticed that myself, I’d love to find one in good shape for that price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast