Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Deflection Tests

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on deflection tests. Since I'm still learning everything I can about rod actions as I buy - fish - sell numerous rods a year while filling my quiver, I've enjoyed Yellowstone Anglers deflection tests and built my own to mirror theirs. I just got a new Sage XP 4wt in last night that's in like new condition. It appears to be a newer model than the two XP's I bought my girl friend. But I compared her 5 wt to my new 4 wt in the deflection tester and the rods have an identical bending profile. The 4 wt was maybe 1/2" higher with a stiffer blank. That surprised me. I was expecting the 4wt to bend more with the rod tip lower with the same 3.8oz of weight. Anyone have thoughts on this result? IMG_4511.jpg

Default Re: Deflection Tests

Not surprising to me, I have a lot of old fiberglass fly rods I have measured and they can be all over the map (most are lighter wt, a few right on, a few heavier) when tested as compared to what was labeled on the rod by manufacture. The newer rods I have measured are much more consistent, and the newest ones are really consistent although typically one wt heavier. My sample size is so small I wouldn't state it as proof of anything but I'm betting if I had endless access to rods to measure I'd put money down that it would hold true for the most part. I have three pairs of rods from the sixties that are supposed to be identical and the only pair to measures out the same was a very high end model back in the day.

It is curious that the #5's tip is lower than the #4's, I'd expect the reverse of course. Are your reel seats affixed totally parallel and is the lower taper profile a mirror as the upper is? It helps to see the entire rod when comparing flexural profiles. The purpose of a deflection chart, as in Anderson's Shootouts, is as an indicator of where and how much a rod bends compared to others of similar intent.

Very ambitious of you. When I compare two similar rods, say a pair of 9'/#4's from two different makers, I place their tips next to one another on a carpeted floor and, holding the reel seats together, flex them. I can then observe where in their respective tapers they flex and then apply incrementally more pressure to further compare how they respond to increased load. This reveals a good bit about their taper design before I even cast them.

4. Thanks NWADrew thanked for this post
    Likes fly2field liked this post

DonW, I suspect you are referring to the "common cents" measurement of flex to line weight relationship, right? The OP here is comparing flexural profile for action considerations. My opinion is the cc test is seriously flawed and meaningless as softer deeper flexing rods like your 60's glass or cane models will react very differently compared to a contemporary graphite of the same line designation. Indeed two new graphite's of differing profiles, say a deep flexer and a tip action, faster rod of the same actual accurate line size designation will test totally differently too.

6. Likes coolkyle liked this post

I've got some of the original fiberglass rods I started fly fishing with around 10 years old, and my dad's first graphite rod from the mid-70's. All are marked 5 wt. But by todays standards they are probably 2wt's. I need to pull them out and test.

I'm only familiar with Yellowstone Anglers deflection tests they use in their rod reviews. It's simply hanging a designated weight on the tip and drawing out the bending profile to visually see the rods bend, and thus action. It probably can't determine recovery rates that are in modern rod marketing lingo. But they definitely help you "see" the stiffness and tip flex profile between rods.

Yes sir - I have two 1 1/4' PVC pipes taped together to load the rods in and make sure they match exactly even in length and 45 degree angle before adding the 3.8oz to each rod tip. I was definitely expecting the 4 wt rod tip to land 3" below the 5 wt's. Here's a picture of the set up with a Sage 5 wt and my Winston B3X 5wt to give you an idea. Works great.

IMG_4338.jpg

10. Likes Ard, omas, sweetandsalt, salmo3t liked this post

Not exactly common cents, but yes same basic test. I have found it's really accurate way to find line weight and with a few test casts will tell me everything I want to know about the rod at hand.

It could be the case as S&S has alluded to in past post that the 5 wt has softened somewhat due to having more use than the 4 wt.

What is confusing, bob, is the flexes are exactly the same but apparently the #5 must be flexing lower down in the taper to make it below but parallel to the #4.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast