Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Older Greys = Today's Fenwick ?

When Pure Fishing bought out Hardy & Greys I have heard it stated that the Fenwick Aetos is actually a Greys rod. This is stated most predominately on the Yellow Stone Angler shootouts. If this is true then what model of Greys were they referring too, XF2 or GRXi or lesser model? How does the Worlds Class Fenwick equate to the older Greys line of rods and the Fenwick Eagle as well???

I was and am the type of guy to read the shootout reviews and buy the best value rod of that category for obviously fast rods.

I ask because I have a warranty issue with a Greys rod -3wt- that is no longer covered by Greys but by Pure Fishing and they send me a spread sheet of the Fenwick rods they make to replace it with. Apparently they no longer fix Greys rods but will replace it with a Fenwick Rod. They sent me a spread sheet of the Rods they make so was wondering what the equivalents between the two companies actually are.
    Last edited by Ontarioflyguy; 01-18-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

Default Re: Older Greys = Today's Fenwick ?

Yes, Fenwick as accompany has not existed in decades, modern Fenwick is only a brand name owned by Pure...same with Greys. So they make Fenwick named rods for the US market where that name resonates and Greys for Europe where it is better known...both Chinese mass production, re-branded products. You will need to contact their customer service to learn which if any contemporary rod is close to the one you wish to replace. I don't trust the YA Shootout as much as you do but I will give a thumbs up to their well regared Douglas mid priced model.

The only thing I can find is that the Aetos seems to be the old Greys XF2 and is made in Korea. It appears some of the other Fenwicks are made in China and maybe only the Aetos is of any correlation to the Greys in Europe although not sure as you stated I would have to contact Fenwick directly to get any information as very little I can find on the web.
    Will be interesting to see how they replace my older Greys with a new Fenwick as it looks like only available options in a 3 weight would be an upgrade.

I only wish the adopted some of Greys cosmetic touches. I really liked the XF2 9' 5 weight, enough to where I'd love to find one on the cheap. But the Aeotos looks like a Kmart Sportfisher rod circa 1990. Cosmetics aren't super important to me, for instance I can live with the BVK which isn't pretty. But the Aetos just looks cheap, it's the only rod besides the H3 that you'd have to give me, even then I'm not sure I'd fish with it. My trout rods need to look the part. Not as much so my Streamer, Bass, Salmon-Steelhead or Flats rods. A buddy of mine blew up a Greys Spey rod and the sent him a Fenwick Replacement, it wasn't a bad rod. But I do think Howard C did a great job on cosmetics on Greys rods, they always looked like pricier rods.

Agreed. I have a Greys XF2 9' 5wt and it is a handsome rod. I buy the Aetos for the casting quality and take it places I'm nervous to take other rods. If they would just upgrade the cork and reel seat slightly I think the Aetos would be considered to be much classier rod and people would pay the little extra for it. JMHO I thought of replacing the cork on my Aetos but would void the warranty. I am a Scotsman by heritage though and tend to buy frugal although next rods purchased will likely be ones of higher grade for handing down one day.

The way the email from Fenwick read it was like they were asking me what Fenwick rod I wanted to replace the broken Greys GS2 3 wt. Lowest line they had in the 7'6" 3 wt was an Aetos which is fine by me for sure....but if they are giving me a pick....lol although I would have to inform them that even I feel guilty asking for a much better rod than the one I'm having replaced.

Hiya. Have you thought about asking Greys in the UK if they know the best Fenwick to replace your late lamented 3 weight? They might be able to help you. Worth an email, I reckon. Good luck.

I contacted them and they sent me contact for Fenwick/Greys warranty person in the states. The lowest grade 3 wt I can replace it with is an Aetos 3 wt which is a step up from what the Greys GS 2 was, except for cork. They told me they would contact me when rod arrived to them and then to pick a Fenwick rod of my choosing to replace it with for under $40.00.

Crazy as options given include any weight rod and even switch and spey rods....of course if I break my Greys XF2 then I'm looking at a downgrade to replace....
    Last edited by Ontarioflyguy; 01-21-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Hi, pal.
    So, you approached Greys in the UK first and they referred you to Fenwick in the States?
    And Fenwick say 'Pick a rod, any rod, for 40 bucks''?

Well, if you feel the 'equivalent' rods they currently offer are a downgrade you might just take their most expensive, sell it and put the money you recoup towards something you really want.
    A bit of bother but maybe better than possessing something you feel is a lesser compromise.

It's a very long shot as Fenwick don't have much UK presence, but you might ask on the FFFUK if anyone has handled both your Greys GS2 & any Fenwick #3s, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    Hi, pal.
    So, you approached Greys in the UK first and they referred you to Fenwick in the States?
    And Fenwick say 'Pick a rod, any rod, for 40 bucks''?

Well, if you feel the 'equivalent' rods they currently offer are a downgrade you might just take their most expensive, sell it and put the money you recoup towards something you really want.
    A bit of bother but maybe better than possessing something you feel is a lesser compromise.

It's a very long shot as Fenwick don't have much UK presence, but you might ask on the FFFUK if anyone has handled both your Greys GS2 & any Fenwick #3s, you never know.
    I get your point but you kinda misunderstood. Yes I contacted them and that is what they stated. My rod needing warranty work is a Greys GS2 3 wt. The lowest available option is an upgrade to an Aetos . However if I ever break my Greys XF2 I will be looking at a downgrade but this is futuristic. I feel almost crooked but may request rod other than a 3 wt and then purchase another 3 wt to replace broken one as if the XF2 breaks they make nothing of the equivalent. Just makes me feel like a crook but is what they are offering...Will have to contact again though as need to know what happens if I buy Greys from England now?

I get you now, I think - It's really the potential XF2 issue you're concerned with, not the current GS2 -> Aetos exchange.
    Sorry, it was when you said the Aetos had poor cork and seat I thought you weren't that keen on it. But, yeah, you're a function-before-form Presbyterian ( ) and the stick is the important bit.

I don't believe you should feel like a crook using their warranty (your legal agreement on purchase) to your best advantage within their terms, it's your right and their offer, after all.

There have been many discussions on the 'Lifetime Guarantee' on the UKFFF and this Sexyloops article by the late Steve Parton, a small-scale British rod maker, written when the offers first came in, makes interesting reading.

Imo, you've already paid your dues for the replacement - every Pure customer has chipped into the insurance pot when they paid the purchase price and ''many a mickle mak's a muckle!'' as the Scots say.
    If this business model wasn't viable, maybe even profitable, those companies offering 25 years/Lifetime guarantees would have ditched the plan a decade ago.
    Also, it's incumbent on the company to replace like with like. If they can't, it's sound business to offer an upgrade otherwise they risk devaluing their warranty and reputation in the public's eye.

I can't think it immoral for you to recoup your investment to your best advantage now. It would be a small victory for the hundreds of thousands who have also paid the enforced premium on purchase but never claimed a penny nor ever will. After all, Pure themselves must consider their Fenwick warranty 'Good for me. Good for you' whatever you choose so, my 2c, pick whatever you want, guilt-free.

Regarding the XF2, you might set a 'search with alert' on eBayCA to notify you if your model gets listed, then pick up a spare. I'd also keep half an eye on the Brexit situation as new trade agreements may be arriving after the UK leaves the EU, and this might make importing a new Greys (or eBayUK 2nd hand) cheaper.
    Given how often tackle companies change their ranges these days, and that they prefer to 'upgrade' rather than hold old stock for replacements (must be more economical to offer new), the XF2 may well be out of production by the time you need to replace yours (if ever), so, if it's a rod you love, maybe best to buy a spare if the opportunity arises. You'll be able to recoup the cost with a different Fenwick if/when your current XF2 breaks via the warranty, after all.