Cabela Three Forks fly rod - How is it?

jaybug

Reaction score
If you have experience with a Cabelas Three Forks fly rod, please tell me what you think of it, good or bad. Would you recommend it to a beginner?

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I actually fished this rod for a few years when I was younger. had a 6 and 3 wt. mostly used for bass and gills with a trip to south Mo. for stocker bows. For the money they are a good rod. As a matter of fact my son still uses a 5wt in this rod for bows and big browns. My rods have long since went down the trade road growing into sages and other rods, but those rods landed many fish while i used them. The one draw back I ever saw was the reels sets came loose on them and I had to re glue them, but that was after several years and mnay hours of fishing.
Good luck
Bear

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
works great! both my cousins have one and I have a cabelas st johns combo. all work fine and I would recommend them to anyone that is flyfishing on a budget and even for guys who aren't! I have a tfo and a custom built matrix rod and can cast my cabelas just as good as both of those.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I had one of the 3wts and never cared for it.... and I'm not that picky either
The action just seemed kinda 'dead' to me
A lot of people like these rods and they certainly are a good value, but I got rid of mine and I don't miss it

MikeG

Reaction score
I been flipping through the 2009 Cabela's Fly Fishing Catalog they have some new rods coming out from the starting end to the high end.

Joni

Reaction score
Mike G....it sounds like you are pretty much into FF for the long haul. Why don't you look for a little nicer rod with a warranty.
Sage Launch, Orvis Clearwater, just to name a couple plus all the TFO are real reasonably price and all with a GREAT warranty.

There really is a difference in the feel and workmanship in the more expensive rods.

MikeG

Reaction score
Mike G....it sounds like you are pretty much into FF for the long haul. Why don't you look for a little nicer rod with a warranty.
Sage Launch, Orvis Clearwater, just to name a couple plus all the TFO are real reasonably price and all with a GREAT warranty.

There really is a difference in the feel and workmanship in the more expensive rods.
Joni, I hope that was not directed to me because I own a Sage, a TFO, and a St. Croix Legend Elite.

Joni

Reaction score
Sorry, and I knew that cause of your other posts LOL. I thought you were interested in a Three Fork. Not saying there is anything wrong with them, I just knew you were past that.

The meds must have kicked in he, he, he, he.

MikeG

Reaction score
I work at Cabela's and was letting the guy know that there will be some new Cabela's outfits for 2009 coming out. Since I am looking at the new 2009 Catalog right now in my hands.