Diamondback Glass Rods are Back

Pocono

Reaction score
I saw in the latest issue of Eastern Fly Fishing that Diamondback (nee Cortland) is bringing their S2-based glass rods back into production; and at a pretty reasonable price ($299 retail). From the pic in the mag, the rod looks nice; black gloss blanks, dark blue thread wraps with silver accents and burled maple reel seats. I have one of the older Diamondback Diamondglass rods; a 7'6" 3 wt. that's been one of my favorite small water (Brookies) sticks for some time now. The new line runs from a 6'0" 2 wt. to an 8'6" 4 wt. The smallest rod is 2-piece, the rest are 3-piece; meaning for me, that they'll fit in a suitcase!

Christmas is coming............. time to start on my list!

Pocono

BigCliff

Reaction score
Current rumors from those in the know are that the blanks are actually made by McFarland, and that the production run will be quite short.

I also know that they're not making the 8' 5wt that was in the old line, and that the 8' 4wt will be a 3pc rather than 2pc like the old ones.

Pocono

Reaction score
Frank, as long as it's "FIA" "Fishable in America", it will be OK with me. I head out to Beijing tomorrow afternoon for the next week.

Cliff, yes they're all 3 piece, except for the little 6'0" 2 wt. If MacFarland is actually rolling the blanks then that's a huge plus - moving up on my list! Now....... which one do I really "need" the most? :rolleyes:

J-P, I like toys! That's never been a stopper for me. I think it's time that you considered a new glass rod! ;)

Pocono

FrankB2

Reaction score
My brother-in-law has expanded his business into China, Allan. See if you can't find one for $39 while you're over there. :D ;)

The last I saw in my research was overseas blank, finished in USA. Who knows, but I would like to pay fair price. What fair price is depends on whether it's a fantastic rod, and McFarland and Steffen can't do better.

burk48237

Reaction score
The blanks are E-glass blanks being rolled to the old specs in China. The rods are being built by McFarland's shop in the US so I guess it's the best of both worlds. I own a 7-4 of the old series, and the new rod is a superior rod in every aspect of workmanship. If the samples are any indication they are as high if not higher quality then any production rod in the US. So far the response form dealers casting them has been big smiles. I do doubt that Cortland will be able to hold the $299 price for longer then one season. And I suspect supply may be an issue.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, Burk. Why is Cortland going back to glass if they aren't certain about its future? Are they testing the market? The Diamondback bamboo didn't seem to do well at all, but the one I played with seemed fine.

P.S. Here's one of Mojo's glass rod posts from 2009:
It's in what you want to pay. How much are you looking to spend. We can find an inexpensive spinning rod you can turn into a fly rod (lots of people have done it) or- for e-glass, Lamiglass Honey blanks start at about $70 for a 6'6" 3w (2pc.) up to $150 for a 8' 5w 6pc. The Spring Creek is a brown color glass and they're about $55 for a 3w and around $70 for a 7'6" 4w. (Just finished up wrapping one for a Project Healing Waters rod). I don't see much difference in the honey or the SC in the 7'6" 4w's. And there's only two models in the Spring Creek.
Then, you can get a little more expensive and go a Steffan Brothers- S glass which is faster than E-glass, and Mark will make one for you to your specs. Tell him what you are using it for, and have him suggest a blank for you. Steffan blanks are $120 for a 2 pc. up to $185 for a 4pc.( these prices were correct last time I checked) Different weights come in different pc configurations. You'd have to talk to him.
Then we have one of my favorite rods, McFarland. He uses E-glass. He'll build them to your specs too. His prices are $185 for a 2 or 3 pc. blank.
Tom Morgan has new blanks out in a ruby red color. $295 for a blank. Kerry Burkheimer is supposed to be rolling these.
There is another blank line- Kettle Creek rods. Vince Cummings designed I think. A guy named Phil Baldacchino has Kettle Creek Tackle Shop in Pennsylvania. No internet, just phone and fax. I think his prices are in the $75 range for blanks. Guys I know love the blanks.
One more place, it's costly too, is Rick's Rods out of Denver. I think you can get Phillipson blanks or rod kit's but you're looking at least $200 or $300- you'd have to call him, but there's some W&M Trevarno glass rod blanks for cheap.
Right now I can't think of any more makes of blank lines. So, if you want to go cheap, middle of the road, or into some bucks, it's your choice.
Anglersworkshop and Mudhole carries Lamiglas, McFarland Rod Company, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, Rick's Rods and Steffan Brothers have websites. Phil has a phone and fax.

It appears Mark Steffen will make a blank/rod to your specs $135/$330, and works right here in the USA, so...... ;)

Pocono

Reaction score
My brother-in-law has expanded his business into China, Allan. See if you can't find one for $39 while you're over there. :D ;)

The last I saw in my research was overseas blank, finished in USA. Who knows, but I would like to pay fair price. What fair price is depends on whether it's a fantastic rod, and McFarland and Steffen can't do better.
Frank, I don't disagree with your point on the price of products MIC. But, the price on this rod seems reasonable and, frankly, if I leave a little more profit margin in the US to help offset the cost of the products that they make here, then that's OK with me. I will, however, look for that $39.00 rod! :)

To follow on Burk48273's post, the article in Eastern Fly Fishing said that the blanks were made from S2 glass. Since I liked the old Diamondglass rods, which were also S-glass, I hope that they continue to use it in the new blanks.

I think I'll be headed for a bushwhacking rod; probably the 6'6" 2 wt. (I know, I've said many times before on this forum that, for me, there's no need to ever drop below a 3 wt., but I'm going to give it a try!). Maybe you actually can teach an old dog new tricks!

Pocono

burk48237

Reaction score
The issue on the Diamondback Bamboo was quality control on an essentially handmade component (the blank) from China. Our rejection rate on those blanks approached 50%. But building a Bamboo blank right is a lot different then rolling a glass or graphite blank. It was just too hard (at that time) to get consistency from Chinese suppliers. The finished rods (especially the 7'6") were actually pretty nice and we sold EVERYONE we made. In a way though I'm glad to see Bamboo remain a largely American craftsman dominated field. There's something special about the detail of a crafted bamboo rod.

With these, I don't anticipate blank supply being the issue. To me the only issue will be if we can keep up with the demand building them in a small shop. The quality may be worth it. I suspect they will be tough to get early in the season. But the ones I've seen are worth every dime. Are far as the future of the market, I think we're convinced that their will be always be demand for glass as a niche segment of the market. For places like the Smokies, and Michigan's Pigeon River country they're hard to beat.

FrankB2

Reaction score
With all of that information, I want one. :D I bought a Cortland GPX 9' 6wt back around 2004, intending to use it as a cheapy Clouser chucking rod. It
was a $79 MIC rod, and I loved it. I fished that more than any other rod, until it fell out of my canoe, and sank 25 feet. A price of $300 seems fair for a rod finished by a well-known builder like McFarland.

mojo

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Mike McFarland a little while ago. The subject of the D-Glass came up.
He's doing the wrapping and finish work. The blanks are imported, and they are different then the old blanks in more than just the glass type. He said he likes the way they feel. A little softer (slower) than the old series. But then Mike likes a slower action. I can't remember how many are going to be in the first run, but I think they'll be sold out. If Mike wraps it and finishes it, it's going to be nice. Now off the subject of Diamond Glass rods, Mike IS rolling all his (McFarland Rod Co.)blanks. He has his own tapers, rolls the 'glass and finishes them.

The Scott rods are in a class (and price range) by themselves. Scott has a nice glass rod if you want to pay their price, but personally I like the Hardy glass more than the Scott for a factory built rod. It suits my style better and is less expensive.

Pocono

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Mike McFarland a little while ago. The subject of the D-Glass came up.
He's doing the wrapping and finish work. The blanks are imported, and they are different then the old blanks in more than just the glass type. He said he likes the way they feel. A little softer (slower) than the old series. But then Mike likes a slower action. I can't remember how many are going to be in the first run, but I think they'll be sold out. If Mike wraps it and finishes it, it's going to be nice. Now off the subject of Diamond Glass rods, Mike IS rolling all his (McFarland Rod Co.)blanks. He has his own tapers, rolls the 'glass and finishes them.

The Scott rods are in a class (and price range) by themselves. Scott has a nice glass rod if you want to pay their price, but personally I like the Hardy glass more than the Scott for a factory built rod. It suits my style better and is less expensive.
So the blanks are E-glass, made in China?

Pocono

FrankB2

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Mojo. Seems a bit different that Burk's info, but if it's coming from McFarland.....No offense meant at all, Burk. You say it's better than the older series, and McFarland likes it as well. Having the rod finished by a respected builder would make it well worth the price, so I'll reverse myself on that matter. The old Diamondglass sure has a following, so I'm interested now.

mojo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Mojo. Seems a bit different that Burk's info, but if it's coming from McFarland.....No offense meant at all, Burk. You say it's better than the older series, and McFarland likes it as well. Having the rod finished by a respected builder would make it well worth the price, so I'll reverse myself on that matter. The old Diamondglass sure has a following, so I'm interested now.
Like I said before, I recall it being S2 glass, but I could have gotten my wires crossed, and Burke could be right in that it could be E-glass. Mike and I were b.s ing about a lot of things. Either way it's going to be a nice series.

I just thought of something related to what Mike said about it being slower than the old D-glass. Maybe it is E-glass if it's slower. We'll find out soon enough I guess.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Joe Cornwall reviewed the older Diamondglass rods in 2005, and he said they were made of S2. To be honest, I wouldn't know the difference in materials, but would be interested in how the rod fishes. With McFarland finishing so few rods for Cortland, I wonder if it would be easier just to get a McFarland. I see this as a smart move on his part either way.