Sage Bass ll Flyrods: opinions based on use

srock

Reaction score
I fish a lot for bass in the summer and wonder what has been anyone’s experience with the Sage dedicated bass rod (for largemouth). I have used various rods with success but am intrigued by the shorter stout rod length with fighting butt. But then, all this may not make much difference in the larger scheme of things. Your thoughts?

jr spey

Reaction score
I own a bunch of 8' rods for bass and musky. I also use a bunch of 9' rods for the same purpose. In my case, it matters most in what boat one chooses to use. If fishing from a canoe or driftboat I like the shorter rods. From a jonboat with a front platform or a bassboat I usually use the longer rods. I know the theory is that in a canoe, driftboat, or bellyboat a longer rod will help you keep your backcast off the water, but that's more of a casting technique issue. One of my favorite bass roads is the now discontinued TFO 8' MiniMag in 200-300 grain. I've owned the Sage in both the original version and the BassII and actually prefer the MiniMag. It seems livelier in my hands.

jimw

Reaction score
I use a 8'3" Redington Predator in a 9 wt for kayak fishing i have a Rio Out bound short which is a heavy line. I am not looking for 100' cast but this set up will launch a big bug easily with one backcast. I have not cast the sage rod you mentioned.

zonk1085

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to fish a heavier grain weight in Ascension Bay a few years ago. While standing in the front of a flats boat we used the Bass II for throwing bulky flies to snook under the mangroves. In this niche application the Sage Bass II was superior to the 9' NRXs and Meridians also on the boat.

srock

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying a used Sage Bass 2 on line for a decent price. I agree it is a niche rod. I plan to pair it with a LA Teton reel filled with a bass bug line. My hope is that this can also serve as a decent muskie rod. Where I fish in Northern Wiscconsin there are numerous small lakes and rivers I fish via canoe for bass, pike and muskie. Up to t his point I have mainly used spinning tackle for the muskies with good success. I think this summer I will really focus on getting a musky on the fly in a few places where fly fishing for them should be good. The Bass 2 will work well fishing out of a small boat because it is shorter and less likely to create problems for my partner in the bow. Should be fun. Best to everyone.

jr spey

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying a used Sage Bass 2 on line for a decent price. I agree it is a niche rod. I plan to pair it with a LA Teton reel filled with a bass bug line. My hope is that this can also serve as a decent muskie rod. Where I fish in Northern Wiscconsin there are numerous small lakes and rivers I fish via canoe for bass, pike and muskie. Up to t his point I have mainly used spinning tackle for the muskies with good success. I think this summer I will really focus on getting a musky on the fly in a few places where fly fishing for them should be good. The Bass 2 will work well fishing out of a small boat because it is shorter and less likely to create problems for my partner in the bow. Should be fun. Best to everyone.
Tell us again which Bass II you got as there a four models. Anything less than the Peacock will be very marginal for most musky fishing. Even if you choose to fish rather small flies as musky flies go you still need to be able to land them, and fairly quickly. To be honest, small lakes and rivers makes that even more critical as one needs to keep the fish out of the weeds and/or wood. It'll get you started, but you'll find out pretty quickly that you'll need something more to do it effectively. That is, unless you got the Peacock model in the first place.

srock

Reaction score
The rod I bought is one that says it casts a 330 grain line. My looking into this suggests a 9 wt equivalent line. My rod looks like an earlier series but I will not know till I get it. I have fished muskies for 30 years. Most muskies in N. Wisconsin are between 28 and 36 inches, with the potential for a bigger fish. I think most people fish for muskies on heavier equipment than is needed. My thinking is that the Sage Bass 2 should provide enough leverage to set a hook suffiiciently to penetrate the muskies mouth. Some years ago in Canada I had several musky strikes on an 8 wt that got off I believe due to not getting the hook set. I also have a 10 wt st. Croix I plan to bring along. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks. SR

deceiverbob

Reaction score
The rod I bought is one that says it casts a 330 grain line. My looking into this suggests a 9 wt equivalent line. My rod looks like an earlier series but I will not know till I get it. I have fished muskies for 30 years. Most muskies in N. Wisconsin are between 28 and 36 inches, with the potential for a bigger fish. I think most people fish for muskies on heavier equipment than is needed. My thinking is that the Sage Bass 2 should provide enough leverage to set a hook suffiiciently to penetrate the muskies mouth. Some years ago in Canada I had several musky strikes on an 8 wt that got off I believe due to not getting the hook set. I also have a 10 wt st. Croix I plan to bring along. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks. SR
Are you strip setting or using the rod to set? When I strip set it doesn't matter if I have a broomstick or a wet noodle.

srock

Reaction score
Good point. On past occasions I used the rod to set. I now realize I need to strip set. I am learning.

FlySouth

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread, but when I bought my Sage Bass II (largemouth / 330 grain) a year ago there wasn’t an abundance of recent reviews so just to put more content out there I thought I’d bump this thread.
I’d wanted this rod for years but the price held me back. I got the chance to cast a friends and that was all it took to seal the deal for me.
The rod is awesome. It shoots line and handles large flies and heavy bass like no other. The build quality is first rate. I’m not a fan of the rose colored reel seat, but that’s a minor point. Out of all my rods, this Sage is the most fun to fish with. The downside is that it is a very specialty rod and lacks the distance and finesse of my other “traditional” rods so I don’t use it as much as I wish I could.
Highly recommend it and wish I hadn’t have debated purchasing it for so many years

StaRQS

Reaction score
Sage dropped the price of BASS II from $600 to $390. Good time to get one.

Looking forward to the refresh one with Konnetic HD.

FlySouth

Reaction score
Sage dropped the price of BASS II from $600 to $390. Good time to get one.

Looking forward to the refresh one with Konnetic HD.
Have you heard anything about a new bass rod?
I’ve seen the ads for the new Sage X, but nothing on a new bass rod

StaRQS

Reaction score
New color Sage X is already on Sage's lineup.

Haven't heart anything about the new bass rod. I guess it would be announced soon since the old Bass II rod is on clearance.

Jamaicadiver

Reaction score
Have a Bass II Bluegill, 230 weight, with an Abel Super 6N, Love it! Throws small bluegill poppers and larger bass bugs like a cannon and 7' 11" works well on small rivers and streams with lots of cover. Can't imagine a smallmouth it couldn't handle. Also use it as streamer rod for trout, again great, will man-handle a good brown no problem. Can't throw heavy streamers as well as bugs but that's the fault of my timing.

srock

Reaction score
Fishing for muskies is a lot of work. So far, no takes. I plan fishing for them this August and Sept so we will see. I think the Sage 330 grain is plenty for most muskie. Many I catch are between 28 and 34 inches. Even a 40 incher should be no problem unless it dives into weeds. So I think the Sage 330 LM bass rod would work OK for muskies. I also have a 10 wt st. Croix as a backup. More later. SR

Jamaicadiver

Reaction score
More info: youngest son has a 290gr 1st gen, he loved it primarily as a Trout streamer rod but used for smallmouth and Largemouth too. Reason I got the 230.....well, he wanted a 230 too and got one a few weeks back, said they seemed to be getting a little scarce...should think the 330 would handle one of those Bigmouth's that eat basketballs