Is it replacement time for the Loomis NRX and NRX LP rods?

brownbass

Reaction score
I was going back through the 2019 4-Weight Shootout when I noticed that one of the reviewers mentioned that this highly successful line may be in line for a replacement series. I bought the 5-weight LP last year and was thinking of a new 4-weight. Have any of you heard about this?

Bill

dr d

Reaction score
hi,

some month ago we had some strange closeouts here in germany of nrx lp with more than 50%!

meanwhile the prices are original and the closeouts start with the nrx.

maybe you´re right?! and they advance spiral x?..;)

nice week.

thomas

hollisd

Reaction score
Just checked 3-4 fly shops in Germany and didn't see G Loomis at any curious what shop had the sale

Asquith LP does have a nice ring to it

dr d

Reaction score
fishingtackle24 - angelplatz.de - ...

hollisd

Reaction score
The text in question from George Anderson's son James:

Rather than asking Steve Rajeff to give us a better 4-weight NRX LP, his focus likely will be on the brand new G. Loomis rods that will be released the summer of 2019, to replace both the NRX and the NRX LP.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
What did the Asquith replace?
Nothing. NRX is in every way a top-of-the-line rod. Asquith is a newer series elevated above, the beneficiary of a unique fabrication methodology developed by Loomis's parent company, Shimano. Both series feature advanced albeit different technology but share the same brilliant designer, Steve Rajeff. That is why G.Loomis rods perform the way they do.

duker

Reaction score
I don't know anything about a replacement for the NRX, but between those and the Asquith I don't really see where they can go rod-wise.

I'm still using a couple of GLXs, but I've got a 13' 8/9 weight NRX double-hander and love it. I can't really justify another rod, but if the NRXs are discontinued I'll consider getting an 8 weight single-hander on sale.

Scott

hollisd

Reaction score
So G Loomis is coming out with new rods this summer to replace the NRX and NRX LP. It's going to be awesome to see based on what Steve Rajeff has come up with in the past.

How much have the older rods been discounted when a new model is introduced? The Asquith didn't affect the price of the NRX rods.

If the 9' #5 NRX LP retails for $755 what $300 off just guessing?

jr spey

Reaction score
So G Loomis is coming out with new rods this summer to replace the NRX and NRX LP. It's going to be awesome to see based on what Steve Rajeff has come up with in the past.

How much have the older rods been discounted when a new model is introduced? The Asquith didn't affect the price of the NRX rods.

If the 9' #5 NRX LP retails for $755 what $300 off just guessing?
Not initially, but maybe down the road. In many cases, that's left to the dealers to decide, and with some companies they even dictate that. I'd guess 20% off initially and a bigger percentage once the new ones start to arrive on dealer shelves. They are also expected to replace the discontinued Pro 4X by putting new models into the IMX Pro line. That should mean new Shortstix and Long-handled Predator models. Supposedly both will have fewer rods (sizes) in the series, especially the Shortstix.

willyf

Reaction score
That should mean new Shortstix and Long-handled Predator models. Supposedly both will have fewer rods (sizes) in the series, especially the Shortstix.
It doesn't seem like there will be new Shortstix rods, as Ian Devlin and Mark Sedotti are working on some new prototypes under the name Outcast Fly Rods. Maybe Loomis went in another direction but will still add some shorter rods, but I know Ian has posted quite a bit on Instagram lamenting the discontinuation of the Shortstix.

brownbass

Reaction score
I started this thread after reading the statement in the shootout hoping someone in the know could shed some light. My fly shop carries Loomis but doesn't display them or some other makers rods. Why is that? If the NRX do get marked down the wife has been informed there might be an unexpected draw on the bank account.

Bill

jr spey

Reaction score
It doesn't seem like there will be new Shortstix rods, as Ian Devlin and Mark Sedotti are working on some new prototypes under the name Outcast Fly Rods. Maybe Loomis went in another direction but will still add some shorter rods, but I know Ian has posted quite a bit on Instagram lamenting the discontinuation of the Shortstix.
Actually, I'm quite aware of what Mark and Ian are trying to do. It's been discussed to some degree on another forum. I even sent a note asking Ian if their plans were still in the works and he confirmed that they were. However, a good fishing buddy of mine is a GLoomis rep and he claims what I mentioned above. A new version of the Shortstix will be released at the iCast (not IFTD) show this July and will be part of the IMX-Pro series. He also was the one who mentioned that there will be fewer sizes available.. Of course, plans can always change, but it would seem to be kind of late in the stage to drop the idea now. I hinted to Ian whether he knew what GLoomis was doing, but he scooted around the question. All we can do is wait and see.

jr spey

Reaction score
I started this thread after reading the statement in the shootout hoping someone in the know could shed some light. My fly shop carries Loomis but doesn't display them or some other makers rods. Why is that? If the NRX do get marked down the wife has been informed there might be an unexpected draw on the bank account.

Bill

The reason they don't display rods they may have access to is $$$$. Small shops, in particular, have to be very careful how much inventory to keep on hand. When I had my business I often featured reels and other FF gear that I didn't inventory. And not just certain sizes, but the entire line. To do so would have been suicide financially. What you don't stock you don't have to blowout at near or below cost when these companies make changes. I recall a number of years ago when Rio started putting the identical flylines in new packaging. Thankfully, I didn't stock many flylines, but there were a few shops who did that were furious when they had to turn it all over at a serious discount. And yes, most shoppers in a brick and mortar expect them to have the latest in stock, even if it's only the packaging.

spt2

Reaction score
It would make sense to me that the NRX and NRX LP could be replaced with some new tweaked material that may be marginally better (or simply equal to) the current NRX graphite, but for sure lighter in mass weight... the one criticism of the NRX I've read is it's relatively heavy compared to the competitive top-shelf stuff from Sage and the like.... Now, is a NRX so heavy that it'll cause my arm to fall off? I doubt I could even tell the difference... but, purely from a marketing standpoint, it would seem logical to come out with a lighter material so Loomis could tout light weight and/or low swing weight (because swing weight seems to be very important to Mr. Anderson). Again, not necessarily to provide a real-world improvement over the NRX, but purely for marketing (because it will be NEW, and 'light in the hand', both strong selling points these days....)

brownbass

Reaction score
S&S stated that the NRX line is a top of the line rod series. So the only thing they could do is lighten up the materials. By lightening the materials wouldn't that change the wjole feel of the rods? Yes, so a redesighn would be nesisarry wouldn't it? I would still buy one if they go on sale.

Bill

hollisd

Reaction score
The new rods will have a stunning reel seat with fly-on-a-napkin presentation. It will be interesting to see if they're an evolution of Asquith or not but I think Spiral X will be the platform. If Steve Rajeff's track record proves anything the new series will be a game changer.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
NRX's are core rods in both my trout and bonefish kits. Very few other rods are close to their equal in casting/fishing performance. I don't notice that they are a tad heavy unless I fish them back to back with Sage ONE or X in the sweet or Stickman T8 in the salt. When a replacement series arrives I do suspect it will be lighter with a lighter reel seat too and undoubtedly new taper tweaks as well. I do not anticipate it employing Spiral X though I imagine that technology will find its way to Woodland, WA for the next generation of Asquith eventually. G.Loomis does not introduce new series as often as some other makers and, since 1980's IMX has not had an also ran series yet. GLX and NRX have both been at the forefront of performance and innovation of their respective generations.

hollisd

Reaction score
My source is now saying won't be till summer 2020 that it's a ways out, anyone heard anything?

I wouldn't be surprised to see something roll out this summer or we could be in for a long wait you never know.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Currently, I have more NRX models in my kit than any other series from any other maker...they are each terrific in their own right and range from #4 - 8. Can they be improved upon? Asquith proves the answer is yes. They could be incrementally lighter in physical weight and the reel seat hardware could be refined. I'd prefer titanium Fuji Torzite strippers to the coiled Recoils which generate a hormonic under load. Could they cast or fish better? It will be tough to top them but if anyone can do it, it is Steve Rajeff. What I would like to see would be some shorter length versions. Currently there is an 8'8"/#3...I'd like to see that length expanded to include #'s 4 & 5. Perhaps they could replace the LP version which I for one an not enamored with. Oh, and go back to the core flat grey blank color and loose the everyrod green.