Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My "Old" Redington - Where was it made?

I briefly got into flyfishing when in school in Salem, Oregon back in 1996. On a budget, I picked up a "cheap" Redington, a Red Start 5wt 9' from a guy at a local shop. He convinced me it was a good rod with expenses saved by using a budget reel seat and less fancy hardware, but insisting the blank itself was top quality, with a lifetime warranty. I bought his sales pitch and was happy with the rod. A bunch of moves after school and I fell out of fly fishing.

Fast forward to now (20 years! Does that make it vintage?) and I recently gotten back into fly fishing. Pulling out the Red Start I still am very happy with it. Yes, it has a plastic fuji reel seat and unfortunately it's a two piece, but it casts great for me and I'm not the type that needs a quiver of rods so there are no plans to replace it.

I understand Redington is no longer based out of Florida and are now under the Far Banks umbrella as the China made, lower cost alternative to Sage. My question is where were the Redington blanks made back in '97? I have heard conflicting claims of U.S. and England. Not a big deal, just curious. Thanks,

Default Re: My "Old" Redington - Where was it made?

The sales clerk did not steer you wrong, it is a good casting, well made blank with inexpensive hardware. It was built in S. Korea. (If my memory serves me correctly)

Blog Entries

I can't help with origin but yes 20 years is vintage, I believe 25 years and older is antique. That's how I think of rods anyway.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I can't help with origin but yes 20 years is vintage, I believe 25 years and older is antique. That's how I think of rods anyway.
    Dang......I'm officially a vintage and antique user/collector....at least half my quiver. Thanks Ard, I'm officially OLD now. Oh wait, I already knew that,
    Last edited by cooutlaw; 02-08-2019 at 02:30 PM.

5. Likes falcon53 liked this post
    Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

Someone once asked Dave Hughes "what his favorite tackle (rods / reels) was. Dave replied" Gee I'm not sure I am the one to ask as all my favorite stuff is 30 years old". I still use some of my old equipment IM6 Winstons and GL3 Loomis rods mostly small water fishing.

7. Likes cooutlaw liked this post

Someone here once pointed out that I don't even own a rod that was made in this century
    I'd never looked at it like that, but it's true
    They all still work, as far as I know
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

9. Likes Ard, clouserguyky liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    Dang......I'm officially a vintage and antique user/collector....at least half my quiver. Thanks Ard, I'm officially OLD now. Oh wait, I already knew that,
    Outdoor gear, especially outdoor gear just doesn't seem right until it is vintage. Although I have fished the past few years with both a Sage One and X it is the old stuff I hold dear. I could try to sell my 1981 13'9" Hardy but who else would want or respect it? Likewise with my old Orvis single hand rods, no one wants them.

If you own a new rod the best you can hope for is for your Sage X to one day be vintage and still in your hands

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

11. Likes cooutlaw, ggriffi, Rip Tide liked this post

Ard, I believe there is still, at least among more seasoned and nostalgic anglers, a yen for the early generation Orvis graphite's such as your Far&Fine. Why else would Orvis continue to successfully produce their current "Superfine" series of throw-backs. Similarly Scott G's and Winston WTs.

In my recent report form the Edison Show I wrote a lot about a brace of new Winston's, 8'/#4 Pure and Air. Am I going to get one? I'd say "yes" except I'm still happy and maybe even sentimental about my 1985 Orvis Western 8'/#4.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Ard, I believe there is still, at least among more seasoned and nostalgic anglers, a yen for the early generation Orvis graphite's such as your Far&Fine. Why else would Orvis continue to successfully produce their current "Superfine" series of throw-backs. Similarly Scott G's and Winston WTs.

In my recent report form the Edison Show I wrote a lot about a brace of new Winston's, 8'/#4 Pure and Air. Am I going to get one? I'd say "yes" except I'm still happy and maybe even sentimental about my 1985 Orvis Western 8'/#4.
    I owned one of the original Redington rods when Jim Murphy had them at the IFTD show. At that time, I don't even remember a model name. I was just Redington. I bought a ten weight and it cast quite nicely and was one of my musky rods for awhile. I'm pretty sure that rod was made in South Korea and I think the Far Banks versions are made there, too. Lot of difference between most Chinese rods and what the Koreans are putting out. Among others, the Beulah and the high-end Hardy rods are made there.

Jim Murphy, now at Winston, was a pioneer in S. Korean blank fabrication with Redington then Albright. This led to Hardy building their rods there, under his leadership, and many others. The shop he used does very fine quality work. Now under their third owner, Farbank, Redington's are mostly built in China but have a Korean series too I think. Besides their very serviceable and reasonable Korean rods, original Redington also produced a high end rod, the first ever employing NASA derived nano particulate infused resin using a titanium ceramic material. It was a great, albeit fragile, sports car of a rod called Nti "Nano". It's blank was fabricated by Composite Developments in New Zealand. Back then, around 2000, Redington also offered a "Red-Hart" reel to go with Nano built for Jim by none other than the mad genius, Ari't Hart himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast