Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edge Rods

Default Re: Edge Rods

Quote Originally Posted by willyf View Post
    I saw a post by "dillon" about Edge rods listed under "Similar Threads," so I clicked and figured that you either have a terrible memory of never made it to the event. Glad it was the latter.
    Thank you, My memory is ebbing, but i hope i would have remembered had I attended the event, lol, perhaps you are old enough to relate...

Willy, I do think Dillon's memory is having hiccups. Yes, I did bring the 8 1/2'/#4 EDGE out West and did fish it with you at the Honey Hole. I don't recall if you elected to cast it or not but it is a good rod, at least it was with a cork grip.

When I got my sample, immediately after their introduction at Somerset, it was thorough an EDGE exec. who was working with TFO, their then distributor. It didn't work out for TFO who dropped them, hired their representative who still works for TFO and sold off their inventory at near cost...that is when falcon and many others got good deals. Since then, sold directly through Gary Loomis's North Fork Composites, they have dropped off the grid. A saltwater guide buddy of mine became a Pro for EDGE while still marketed by TFO and liked them but ran into supply and reliability issues once needing to deal direct with them. And their high quality stainless snakes all rusted on his rods. He dropped them and moved on.

I did write under Reviews about the 4-weight which is a potent little rod which would be best, like falcon wrote, with Modern Trout. I don't really know who devised the tapers for these rods as Gary, one of the pioneering leaders in blank fabrication, was never a taper designer. I suspect the team of TFO pros ably assisted in the process.

However, Dillon, now that we have our 8 1/2'/#4 ONE's, my EDGE mostly sees the inner dark of its tube.

EDGE
    W16 232 Rainbow s.jpg
    Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-09-2019 at 12:31 PM.

3. Likes willyf, falcon53, brownbass liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Willy, I do think Dillon's memory is having hiccups.

Thanks, pal...

However, Dillon, now that we have our 8 1/2'/#4 ONE's, my EDGE mostly sees the inner dark of its tube.
    That's why I'm looking at the 6wt. I went through too many 4's, until I found the One. The 6 might be a good stillwater streamer rod.

I don't remember that rod but I remeber the guy that held your fish for a pic. It was in the trough not the honey hole and I would never put your reel in the water.

5. Likes brownbass liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    I don't remember that rod but I remeber the guy that held your fish for a pic. It was in the trough not the honey hole and I would never put your reel in the water.

Yes, the bottom of the trough right above the island. You were all the way down below the island where the main current rejoins...too far away and this gentleman was taking a break on the island and generously provided his assistance. By now, the Nautilus has dried out. Another rod claimed that FWX and the EDGE got an Orvis Mid-Arbor Battenkill.

I think the faster version of the EDGE #6 would be a good streamer rod but likely not an alternative to your Radian #6.

I bought the 8 1/2 4 when TFO closed them out. I haven't used it much but like the feel of it better than my Winston GVX 4. I also bought a used 9' 8 weight recently on eBay that I haven't used yet.

Last week I visited forum member Wolfglen, who was a Loomis manufacturer's rep for many years and remains personal friends with Gary Loomis. He likes the Edge fly rods a lot -- he likes them better than the current Loomis-branded Shimano offerings -- but he says that Edge is doing so well with conventional rods right now that that they aren't really putting much energy into their fly rod line. When you order one through their direct sales channel they build it one-off rather than keeping a lot of finished inventory on hand. I wonder whether they were trying to get enough orders from the shows to justify a full production run.

8. Likes falcon53 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jr spey View Post
    Through the risk of being called a liar, I own thirteen Edge rods. I was a TFO dealer when the Edge rods came out and TFO became their distributor for a few years. I bought everyone I could and I loved everyone I bought. Now the current retail prices are about what I pad wholesale as the company is selling direct to the consumer, much like Danielsson reels. When you say you have a 81/2' 4 or a 9'6 you have to be careful to distinguish whether it's the Alpha or the Beta series. In the trout sizes they have both and there's quite a difference between them. One is medium and the other is medium fast by my standards. Some of my rods are conventional rods as their dropshotting rod is incredible. I also own one I use as a musky bucktail spinner rod. To be honest, I thought they were worth the price at their original retail. I thought my 9' 8 weight was every bit as good as my buddies's 9'8 weight NRX. And I actually like the 9'10 weight better than his NRX 10 weight. Very smooth casting and not obnoxiously fast. They remind me of an updated original GLX series. You wouldn't have gone wrong by buying one at $825.00, and you sure won't go wrong getting them at todays' prices.
    When a vendor continues to praise a product he used to sell even after losing the account, it doesn't get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    When a vendor continues to praise a product he used to sell even after losing the account, it doesn't get much better than that.
    Actually, I didn't lose the account. I closed my business down, so essentially I lost all of my accounts. It was time to go fishing, and I don't regret it for a minute.

11. Likes moucheur2003 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jr spey View Post
    Actually, I didn't lose the account. I closed my business down, so essentially I lost all of my accounts. It was time to go fishing, and I don't regret it for a minute.
    Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. However, I do know one fly shop owner who liked Edge rods and was very disappointed when the TFO distribution deal ended so he could no longer carry them.

It was wolfglen who first alerted me to the impending introduction of Gary Loomis's EDGE rods. He had helped with some prototypes. I was quizzical about the TFO distribution and the necessitated mark-up in price. Many TFO dealers eschew high priced rods and I don't think their reps or web site made a case for EDGE. NFC does require a new distribution channel as the direct sales model may work for their blanks but less well for a high end type rod which must appear in fly shops for test casting and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    It was wolfglen who first alerted me to the impending introduction of Gary Loomis's EDGE rods. He had helped with some prototypes. I was quizzical about the TFO distribution and the necessitated mark-up in price. Many TFO dealers eschew high priced rods and I don't think their reps or web site made a case for EDGE. NFC does require a new distribution channel as the direct sales model may work for their blanks but less well for a high end type rod which must appear in fly shops for test casting and comparison.
    I agree. It's also an issue with Danielsson reels, but I think it's even more critical with rods than reels. Unfortunately, if they do set up a dealer network and raise the prices again, I think they'll have slow going for quite awhile. People just aren't going to be willing to pay $825.00 once again for something they could get on a show speciall for $300.00 or so. Over time, maybe, but they'll have to survive for quite awhile with little sales.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast