Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edge Rods

1. Default Re: Edge Rods

Edge and Northfork Composites...the most recent Northfork online describes their carbon material NEXGEN as follows: Lambda(HM), PSI(IM), Gamma(SM) but fly blanks are described as GammaAlpha and GammaBeta. Edge uses the same terms distinguishing between moderate and fast action. Does that mean flyrods and their blanks are constructed not of NEXGEN material but the "older" carbon...same material but different tapers to achieve different actions. The most recent flyrod sections of Northfork and Edge describe a Crown Victoria "beater" when compared to their other conventional sections which describe a GT 40 or Mustang GT. Does the Northfork/Edge written material need a better proof reader? Or it is what it is? Has anyone purchased a flyrod blank from the latest online catalog or Edge flyrod from the latest, factory direct sale...not the previous retail sources deeply discounted...??

Default Re: Edge Rods

Regarding comments about the direct sales model for high end fly rods, you all are probably correct. However, as stated somewhere in this thread, Edge has developed an extensive line of conventional rods. At the Portland Show, there was a vast array of these rods and only a handful of flyrods. Although the casting pond was right next to their booth there were no reels available. I didn't even see anyone else pick up a fly rod. However, the gear rods were selling like hot cakes as everyone must have been eager to get in on the sales prices, of $200-$300, which btw, is considered expensive, by many of these guys. Little do they know...

I am planning a little field trip to the factory in the near future, so I will ask about the direct they are heading with their fly rods and bring up some of the questions and concerns mentioned here. I will take notes, so that I can remember what they have to say and post it here. Perhaps I have found the cure for the hiccups...
    Last edited by dillon; 02-10-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Dillon, Perhaps you could take a few cell images of their fabrication shop and ask about their relative technology. It is my understanding that the EDGE blanks are distinct from other NFC blanks in both material and design. I find their rods quite handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Regarding comments about the direct sales model for high end fly rods, you all are probably correct. However, as stated somewhere in this thread, Edge has developed an extensive line of conventional rods. At the Portland Show, there was a vast array of these rods and only a handful of flyrods. Although the casting pond was right next to their booth there were no reels available. I didn't even see anyone else pick up a fly rod. However, the gear rods were selling like hot cakes as everyone must have been eager to get in on the sales prices, of $200-$300, which btw, is considered expensive, by many of these guys. Little do they know...

I am planning a little field trip to the factory in the near future, so I will ask about the direct they are heading with their fly rods and bring up some of the questions and concerns mentioned here. I will take notes, so that I can remember what they have to say and post it here. Perhaps I have found the cure for the hiccups...

There're indeed few spinning rods on the market as expensive as these were at the original retail. I think most of mine ran $440.00 or something like that. I think there are a couple of Loomis spinning rods in that range, but not much else. I, of course, got mine at wholesale, which is now the current selling price and found that even then people who I fish with (except for one) thought I was nuts. Many have a $100.00 max for a rod purchase and stick to it doggedly. My Edge rods, especially the dropshot series, is so much more sensitive than anything else out there, including the GLX and NRX rods, which is what the exception above uses. He likes his rods better because he likes the grips/handles better, but admits the Edge has the edge in sensitivity. I spend most of my time with these rods fishing a Ned's rig and sensitivity is everything there. It's even more important than it would be for dropshotting. The disappointments were the swimbait rod which I intended to use for musky. It's rated up to 8oz. baits but can barely throw a 5oz. And the flippin'/pitchin' stick where the action is too slushy to flip well at all. OK, enough gear talk for now for a flyfishing forum. Just thought I'd let everyone know that not every rod in their lineup is "to die for."

5. Likes falcon53 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Dillon, Perhaps you could take a few cell images of their fabrication shop and ask about their relative technology. It is my understanding that the EDGE blanks are distinct from other NFC blanks in both material and design. I find their rods quite handsome.
    Sure, will do, buddy, but I will take my new SLR. I need the practice shooting manually...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123