Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edge Rods

Default Edge Rods

I went to the Portland Sportsmans show Wednesday. There wasnt much in the way of flyfishing gear. I mostly checked out boats, and camping gear, and talked to some nice folks. However, there was an Edge Rod Display with a few fly rods. I liked the feel of the 9' 6wt. The casting pond was right next door but they didnt have a reel and line to try it out. I might go back today with my own reel. The rod is show priced at about $300. does anyone have any experience or comments about Edge fly rods? I couldnt find anything on a quick search.

Default Re: Edge Rods

I cast one--I think their nine foot, five weight--at the NW Fly Tyer & Fly Fishing Expo in Albany, OR three or four years ago. They were in the TFO booth, if I remember correctly. It didn't do much for me--especially at the $800+ price point. But at $300 it might be worth considering.
    Check out my fishing, dog, and meat pictures on my Instagram account - @willyfranzen

Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

I bought a Edge 8 1/2 4wt when they went on sale last year for 300.00. Edge describes this rod as moderate however I tend to think it is more on the fast side. The rod pairs well with Rio Gold and better still with Cortland's Modern Trout (.5 heavy). I think the rod is quite good and several Upper Delaware Guides and Shop employees asked to try it out and they all liked it. Although it can be used on small water, I don't consider it a small stream rod and it would be appropriate on water where a 8 1/2 One or X 4wt would shine. I believe Sweetandsalt has a 8 1/2 4wt Edge also and he recommended my line pairings. The Upper Delaware guys liked it with the Triangle taper ... so what else is new?

Its my understanding that Edge is now selling directly to the public as their new business model. They changed the new models to include a composite grip instead of the original cork.(this may be the reason for the closeout sale as the rods original retailed for about 800.00 . Last year I recall seeing the newer rods selling for about 425.00 on their website. Correct me if I am wrong.

Others on this forum were unhappy that the closeout rods graphite tube came without graphics and some thought the rods were displayed on a rod rack. My tube came with graphics but I noticed the cork was not wrapped in protective plastic and had slight handling marks. There were no marks on the reel seat from reel mounting. Otherwise the rod was new and in excellent condition. It came with warranty.

The rod is a attractive sanded flat dark grey with black wraps with a silver thread highlight. The reel seat is grey nickel silver with attractive figured grey wood. The guides and oversized and seem to be premium quality.

Regards,
    Ken
    Last edited by falcon53; 02-08-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I don’t recall s&s having an edge and don’t remember a discussion about them. However, a rod designed by Gary loomis can’t be bad. The rod I was shaking did have the composite handle.

Blog Entries

I remember the Edge rods were sold by TFO but they came from Gary Loomis's shop. They went on a clearance sale and sold for a bit lower than the original asking price. Do a search on this site there should be a few posts on those rods. They apparently were a good rod but didn't get much press.

Bill

Sweet&salt did indeed write several posts about the Edge rods including a positive about casting those rods at the NJ show a couple years ago. It wasn’t a formal review but was part of the overview he wrote in this category after the show.

I bid on a couple 9’ 5wt models on eBay but always got out bid. I think S&S also did a full review after fishing the 4 wt. on his month long trip to Henry’s Fork and environs.

I have since looked at the Edge website several times and they are into direct marketing selling their current rods for half the $850 they were listed for when sold through TFO.

Don

Through the risk of being called a liar, I own thirteen Edge rods. I was a TFO dealer when the Edge rods came out and TFO became their distributor for a few years. I bought everyone I could and I loved everyone I bought. Now the current retail prices are about what I pad wholesale as the company is selling direct to the consumer, much like Danielsson reels. When you say you have a 81/2' 4 or a 9'6 you have to be careful to distinguish whether it's the Alpha or the Beta series. In the trout sizes they have both and there's quite a difference between them. One is medium and the other is medium fast by my standards. Some of my rods are conventional rods as their dropshotting rod is incredible. I also own one I use as a musky bucktail spinner rod. To be honest, I thought they were worth the price at their original retail. I thought my 9' 8 weight was every bit as good as my buddies's 9'8 weight NRX. And I actually like the 9'10 weight better than his NRX 10 weight. Very smooth casting and not obnoxiously fast. They remind me of an updated original GLX series. You wouldn't have gone wrong by buying one at $825.00, and you sure won't go wrong getting them at todays' prices.

8. Likes falcon53, moucheur2003 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I don’t recall s&s having an edge and don’t remember a discussion about them. However, a rod designed by Gary loomis can’t be bad. The rod I was shaking did have the composite handle.
    You started a discussion about them a few years ago. Did you not end up going to that event?
    Check out my fishing, dog, and meat pictures on my Instagram account - @willyfranzen

Quote Originally Posted by willyf View Post
    You started a discussion about them a few years ago. Did you not end up going to that event?
    Lol, you have a better memory than me. Or, you must have done a Better search. I did mine hastily and didn't see it. Now, I do remember starting that thread and no I didn't go as the weather was inclement. I think it might have been cancelled, but in any event Gary canceled his appearance.

S&S may have an Edge, but if he does I don't recall him bringing one on our annual trip. I don't always cast all the rods he brings and can't recall all the ones I have cast.

I just returned from the show. I took a hatch plus 5 with a 6 wf Rio gold. I cast the 9ft 6wt alpha. It was a nice rod but a little slow for my liking. If I didn't know it I'd think it was a 5wt. They didn't have the beta which is rated fast. The company CEO invited me up to tour their factory, about 20 miles north of Portland in Woodland wa and cast some rods. He will honor the show price of $350.

Next fall they will be introducing some Spey rods, which I am looking forward too.

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Lol, you have a better memory than me. Or, you must have done a Better search.
    I saw a post by "dillon" about Edge rods listed under "Similar Threads," so I clicked and figured that you either have a terrible memory of never made it to the event. Glad it was the latter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast