Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NRX vs. Sage One vs. NRX LP

In the 9' 5 wt. range I currently have a Sage One and a NRX LP.

The LP is my go-to rod and in all honesty I will never need another rod.

That being said, most of us on this website know need and want are not the same thing.

So, I like my Sage One, but I just don't love it. At least at this point in my fly casting development it just doesn't suit my style.

Since there are rumors that the NRX's might be available soon at a discounted price, I'm wondering where it falls along the spectrum.

Does it fall between the One and the LP, or, as I suspect, is it the G. Loomis version of the One?

If the NRX does not fall between the One and the LP what would be a recommendation for a rod that does?

Thanks so much.
    -Rick Allen

Default Re: NRX vs. Sage One vs. NRX LP

I have the 950 Sage One. My friend S&S has both the 950 NRX and the One. The One is my favorite 5wt. dry fly rod. Although he thinks it's a great rod, it does not travle with him in favor of the NRX. The NRX is faster and stronger than the one and therefore, perhaps a better tool, in the proper hands, for the large tailwater dry fly fishing we do. Neither of us use these rods as all rounders. i think this is where the NRX LP probably shines. But, this is only from what I have read and the fact that it is slower in action than the other two you are comparing.

I think the NRX would be a nice compliment in your kit (quiver) for larger rivers, long presentations and windy conditions. I'm, considering a closed out 590 Sage Method for the same reasons. I'd take an NRX, but the method is less expensive and I am more frugal than some...

3. Likes myt1 liked this post

If you're looking to pull the trigger now TU has a Scott Radian for $500. You could flip a coin with the NRX and have a fast action rod that will compliment the NRX LP. I don't know if the Radian threads the needle you're looking for but it casts toe-to-toe with the NRX.

Do you have a nice 6? Pretty important rod wt to own out west - if not, I’d trade out the One for a 6 that you love.

Otherwise, I’m no help in this dog fight. I don’t understand the desire for multiple rods in the same weight... I can barely choose between my 4 and 5 some days.

6. Likes brownbass, myt1, el jefe, clouserguyky liked this post
    Blog Entries

How do the Method and NRX compare? Is the NRX as fast as a Method? Are they equally accurate?

Bill

Not an easy question myt1 as NRX and ONE have very different taper designs. ONE and NRX (#5's) are both fast as is Radian. ONE has what I referee to as a continuously varying steep taper with a scalpel like tip, ideally suited for technical dry fly work on bigger water. NRX is fast too but much more progressive in flex so the tip, though very fast recovering is more compliant than ONE's. So ONE has a faster tip but NRX has even more lower taper potency than ONE which has a lot. Both of these rods have superb technical presentation capabilities...NRX is a bit more versatile and intuitive while ONE has about as fast reflexes as exist...I'm so fortunate to fish both. Deeper flexing LP is, like Dillon wrote, more of a generalist with enough tip flex to nymph well and fish wet flies on the swing. I delightful, less specialized rod to cast relatively easily. Radian is fast through its mid and lower taper but dramatically softer in the upper tip. It somewhat overlaps with LP though LP flexes deeper and more smoothly. There is a little hitch where the Radian tip transitions into the upper mid that most do not notice but disconcerens me.

Enough descriptive stuff, more abstractly If I wanted to cut the applicability differences between ONE and LP I'd test cast T&T Avantt, Douglas SKY, Taylor Truth and Orvis H3 (I prefer the D over the F). Some might say Winston AIR but I think that is a little slower yet than LP.

9. Likes myt1, fly2field, suan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    How do the Method and NRX compare? Is the NRX as fast as a Method? Are they equally accurate? Bill
    Method is faster than almost everything. It is a lot like ONE only more so. I am familiar with the terrific Method #6 not the #5 but a friend who is a great caster likes the #5 Method over the ONE. NRX is more fast end of medium fast in comparison. Accurate? I would say the design values of these top Sage and Loomis rods offer the opportunity for the epitome of accuracy, however, accuracy (despite some advertising hyperbole) is a function of the caster more so than the rod. Faster tips with undulation free recovery offer more accuracy and line-leader control. The older I get the less patience I have for too soft tips even on a small stream 4-weight.
    Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-21-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: word use correcton

11. Likes brownbass, fly2field, suan liked this post

I agree with the comments about adding a six wt. first. I added the 6wt radian a few years ago and am only now considering the addition of a secound 5wt in the working traveling trout kit. Several are retired to the quiver bin, occasionally coming out to play for a day on the homewater.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Method is faster than almost everything. It is a lot like ONE only more so. I am familiar with the terrific Method #6 not the #5 but a friend who is a great caster likes the #5 Method over the ONE. NRX is more fast end of medium fast in comparison. Accurate? I would say the design values of these top Sage and Loomis rods offer the opportunity for the epidemy of accuracy, however, accuracy (despite some advertising hyperbole) is a function of the caster more so than the rod. Faster tips with undulation free recovery offer more accuracy and line-leader control. The older I get the less patience I have for too soft tips even on a small stream 4-weight.
    Thanks, S&S, You have a great way of articulating the actions by comparison. A plus one on the casters responsibilities in gaining accuracy.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Accurate? I would say the design values of these top Sage and Loomis rods offer the opportunity for the epidemy of accuracy, however, accuracy (despite some advertising hyperbole) is a function of the caster more so than the rod. Faster tips with undulation free recovery offer more accuracy and line-leader control.
    The most accurate rod is the one that you feel that you cast best. Accuracy is not an innate characteristic of a rod. I'd say the advertising hyperbole when it comes to accuracy is more than some. The Team USA fly casters use 40 year old, very soft (for today) rods in their accuracy competitions--and they dominate internationally. You can read more here. Real world fly fishing accuracy is quite different from competition accuracy, but the skills have very significant overlap. If you want to pick an "accurate" rod, you need to cast a bunch side by side and see which one you're most accurate with--quantify it!
    My fish pics on Instagram - @willyfranzen

15. Likes dillon, myt1, el jefe, omas, mka, e caster liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast