Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default G. Loomis NRX with a crooked blank - how much is acceptable?

I purchased a Loomis NRX 9' #6 last spring, and have used it a few times.

The second or third time assembling the rod and sighting down the rod to align the guides i noticed how crooked the blank is. The second part (from the bottom) has a banana-like bend in it, first curving right, then back left. It also curves slightly 'upwards' making the flex of the rod significantly different when holding it with the guides up compared to the guides down. When spinning the rod in my hand the unevenness is clearly felt and seen as the rod is convex on the side of the guides.

When flexing the rod in the air (like when you inspect its flex pattern with a short casting motion with a hard stop) there is a substantial difference when the guides are up (more flex) and when the guides are down (firmer feel). I dont know if the last part is due to the rod design and its spine?

In addition, the hook keeper is not aligned with the position of the reel (may be designed to be like that?)

Now, the problem is i cannot reach anyone from Loomis. I have attempted to contact Loomis for 6 months regarding this issue! No replies, AT ALL to any of my e-mails. To make matters worse, the shop I bought it from here in Denmark closed down last summer and has been replaced by a store not selling Loomis..

How much curvature is acceptable in a rod blank and is it reasonable to ask for a replacement rod?

I may be nitpicking here, but it's hard to accept this with a rod i payed 920 USD.

I'm grateful for any opinions on this, or tips on what to do or who to contact.

Jon

Default Re: G. Loomis NRX with a crooked blank - how much is acceptable?

Is there a chance you purchased the rod used?

Do you have proof of purchase?

Their Xpeditor program is only for US / Canada but G. Loomis has one of the best warranties in the business although Europe might compromise that but not necessarily.

I would call G. Loomis customer service at 1-877-577-0600 and explain the situation and I'm sure they'll help you find a resolution.

In the meantime contact a reputable dealer that carries G. Loomis in Denmark, explain what happened, and seek their advice too.

Those should have you closer to an answer hopefully today.

Honestly though my gut says this is a little sketchy because when I hear stories like this the fly shop always closed. It's the fly rod equivalent of the dog ate my homework.

3. Likes brownbass liked this post

"In addition, the hook keeper is not aligned with the position of the reel (may be designed to be like that?)"

Hmmmmm,

I didn't know the NRX came with a hook keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
    Hmmmmm,

I didn't know the NRX came with a hook keeper.
    I believe the 9' #6 does
    Last edited by hollisd; 02-11-2019 at 06:34 AM.

6. Default Re: G. Loomis NRX with a crooked blank - how much is acceptable?

"Honestly though my gut says this is a little sketchy because when I hear stories like this the fly shop always closed. It's the fly rod equivalent of the dog ate my homework."
    I would agree...paying 920 but before paying assemble and examine...his description sounds like he purchased a fake at a gypsy flea market...

Straw Poll: Who has in the last 5 or so years seen a new high end(800-1,000) Sage, Loomis, Scott, Winston, Orvis with a dog leg section...

Since the shop is no longer , your going to have to take it up with Loomis/Shimano and I have had CS on the phone before but it was a bit of a process. This is just a shot in the dark but what you may have is not mis-aligned sections but mis-matched sections. Perhaps the shop had more than one of these 906's out for display and in the process or putting them away they got the sctions mixed up. I doubt it is a fake if it came from any shop and I can't see the motive in making up the story for us here as there is nothing to gain thus no motive. I seriously doubt Shimano cares what the opinion is of this forum.

8. Likes brownbass liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    Straw Poll: Who has in the last 5 or so years seen a new high end(800-1,000) Sage, Loomis, Scott, Winston, Orvis with a dog leg section...
    Modern, quality graphite rods have indeed become remarkably straight and spline symmetrical, quite an accomplishment really. I have 4 NRX's, all straight. Now if we were talking about GLX's, that is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    I seriously doubt Shimano cares what the opinion is of this forum.
    I believe they do.

Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    "Honestly though my gut says this is a little sketchy because when I hear stories like this the fly shop always closed. It's the fly rod equivalent of the dog ate my homework."
    I would agree...paying 920 but before paying assemble and examine...his description sounds like he purchased a fake at a gypsy flea market...

I whole heartedly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I believe they do.

Warranty
    S&S,I didn't say they would not stand behind the product. In fact I believe with the proper paperwork they will have one of the dealers resolve the issue right away. I do not believe they will bend or alter their policy due to opinion on this forum.

Mr. slinging bugs , isn't there a show coming up over there ? I believe you might catch a Loomis rep there ? I think the show is in Denmark too ???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast