Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by clsmith131 View Post
    I don't know what your 8wt application will be, but you should also look at the Exocett SS 250 grain. If you are throwing sink tip lines or compact heads, especially from a boat, its a great option.
    To City Rat: I'm not at all familiar with the waters you intend to fish nor the fish you intend to target, but if you intend to use the types of lines mentioned above and/or throw large, bulky flies, then I also would suggest that you check out the Exocett SS 250 (it's 8'8" and a different design/taper than the "standard" Exocett) as part of your search process. I have both the 250 and 350 and think they are great with those types of lines and flies.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    To City Rat: I'm not at all familiar with the waters you intend to fish nor the fish you intend to target, but if you intend to use the types of lines mentioned above and/or throw large, bulky flies, then I also would suggest that you check out the Exocett SS 250 (it's 8'8" and a different design/taper than the "standard" Exocett) as part of your search process. I have both the 250 and 350 and think they are great with those types of lines and flies.
    Thank you so much, yes these are big flies and and lines. I will look into this. Thank you so much for your first hand feedback.
    Last edited by City Rat; 03-07-2019 at 10:56 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    To City Rat: I'm not at all familiar with the waters you intend to fish nor the fish you intend to target, but if you intend to use the types of lines mentioned above and/or throw large, bulky flies, then I also would suggest that you check out the Exocett SS 250 (it's 8'8" and a different design/taper than the "standard" Exocett) as part of your search process. I have both the 250 and 350 and think they are great with those types of lines and flies.
    WNCtroutstalker, I took a look at Exocet SS line. Those rods sound right on point for my application, so thanks again for the heads up. Now I have a couple of questions:
    1- the SS line sounds from the reviews a lot like the Winston Boron III Plus "Jungle Rods
    Boron III Plus | Winston Fly Rods
    I wonder do you have any familiarity with the similar sounding Winston rods and if so, how do they match up to the SS line?

    2- You indicated that you have an SS 250 and a 350. Just curious other than weight what is the difference between the rods or are they really the same in which case what are the applications that you use each one for.
    Thanks very much in advance. The time and info are very much appreciated.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    To City Rat: I'm not at all familiar with the waters you intend to fish nor the fish you intend to target, but if you intend to use the types of lines mentioned above and/or throw large, bulky flies, then I also would suggest that you check out the Exocett SS 250 (it's 8'8" and a different design/taper than the "standard" Exocett) as part of your search process. I have both the 250 and 350 and think they are great with those types of lines and flies.
    I was pretty taken with the Exocett SS 250 when I cast it at the FFS -- much more so than the 8wt Exocett which I actually stopped casting to double-check the ferrules on because it felt odd after casting the SS. Didn't cast it with a sinking line but I'm interested in the rod for that kind of fishing.

  5. #15

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    I have the SS 250 and 350 as well. I bought the 350 first, loved it, and had to get the 250. They are 9/10 and 7/8 wts respectively. I use them both for striper fishing. The 250 where there are a lot of schoolies - 5 or 6 lb fish or when bass are in the mix. I use the 350 on larger fish or when I'm matching a larger bait with a larger fly. The 350 delivers the fly with more authority, but casting it for a few hours becomes taxing, which is really why I wanted the 250. They are both very light, and being 8'8", they favor a lightweight reel. I have the Ross Evo R on the 250. It's a perfect, very light match. On the 350, right now, I have the Allen Omega #4, which is a hair on the heavy side at 8.8 oz, but my major gripe is that the reel foot doesn't match the reel seat on the rod so there is play that you can feel in your cast. I either need to shim it or find a better match. A friend liked mine so much that he got the 350 with the Evo R Salt 9/10, and it is a much better match than the Omega. The medium fast action, deep flex, and powerful butt section of these rods make it so throwing 100' is easily reached with 2 false casts, even for a mediocre caster like me. The shorter length makes it easier to stow in the gunwale rod holders on the boat, and the vulcanized cork holds up well to the inherent abuse of fly fishing from a boat. Really a perfect rod for me. Even with the aggressive line tapers I've gotten to where I can lay the line down relatively quietly, although as others have said, this is really chuckin' and duckin'. Not especially graceful, but very effective.

    This is me with my friend in the background. He let me cast his new rig and I happened to land the biggest fish on it so far. He hasn't even removed the plastic from the grip yet, it was his first time fishing it I think he wanted a little credit IMG_6389.jpg

  6. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post
    Likes WNCtroutstalker liked this post
  7. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    Beautiful fish! Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, it is really very helpful. All I can say is that I just built a rack/storage case for my current two rods , I am glad that I left slots for two more Thanks again. I guess that I will have to make sure that I cast these as well as the Winston Jungle rods as they seem to aim at the same niche.

  8. #17

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    Now I have a couple of questions:
    1- the SS line sounds from the reviews a lot like the Winston Boron III Plus "Jungle Rods
    Boron III Plus | Winston Fly Rods
    I wonder do you have any familiarity with the similar sounding Winston rods and if so, how do they match up to the SS line?

    2- You indicated that you have an SS 250 and a 350. Just curious other than weight what is the difference between the rods or are they really the same in which case what are the applications that you use each one for.
    Exocett SS vs Winston Jungle Rods: I actually have cast the 9' 8 wt Jungle rod against the Exocett SS 250. And though I'm by no means a rod design expert, it does seem as though the rods were designed with similar uses in mind and as such have some design similarities. Anyway, it was a while ago, but my recollection is that the Winston felt heavier in the hand (not surprising given that it was 4" longer; the 8 wt Jungle rod also comes in an 8'9" length and it would be interesting to compare than one to the SS 250), stiffer and a bit more powerful. I've never thought of the SS as brittle, far from it, but the Jungle rod did feel quite strong (and heavier), especially in the butt. I had already purchased the Exocett SS 250 before I discovered the Jungle rod; I in no way regret my decision, but I do like the Jungle rod also. Who knows, it may come down to whether one prefers a blue blank or a green blank. Hopefully you can test cast both rods, and again I would think that the 8'9" 8 wt may be more comparable to the Exocett SS 250.

    250 vs 350: First off, I would echo what clsmith said above about the 250 being like a 7/8 and the 350 being like a 9/10. I think I like the 7/8 better with something over 250 grains (though it loads a SA Titan 7 wt at 240 just fine). I've cast the 350 with a 380 grain and it handled it great, but I've fished the rod with a 330 grain line and had no issues with it loading. I think that the SS rods accept a decent range of lines such that you can go a bit below the designated weight and the rod will still load or go a bit over the designated weight without the rod feeling overloaded. I do think the rods cast pretty similarly, and so for me the choice really comes down to the flies I'm using and what I'm throwing them at. I purchased both rods towards the end of last year and so I haven't had the opportunity to use either all that much. I've used the 250 throwing large streamers to big trout and I've used the 350 for Golden Dorado and hope to use it for stripers. I agree that the 350 feels heavier than the 250, but to me it still feels lighter than a "typical" 9 or 10 weight. If distance is absolutely key you should cast the SS against a more traditional rod (I can cast the same flies farther with my NRX 9 wt than with my SS 350), but I would hardly say that the SS rods are lacking in power and they just cast and feel great.

    Good luck to you.

  9. Likes City Rat, clsmith131 liked this post
  10. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    Exocett SS vs Winston Jungle Rods: I actually have cast the 9' 8 wt Jungle rod against the Exocett SS 250. And though I'm by no means a rod design expert, it does seem as though the rods were designed with similar uses in mind and as such have some design similarities. Anyway, it was a while ago, but my recollection is that the Winston felt heavier in the hand (not surprising given that it was 4" longer; the 8 wt Jungle rod also comes in an 8'9" length and it would be interesting to compare than one to the SS 250), stiffer and a bit more powerful. I've never thought of the SS as brittle, far from it, but the Jungle rod did feel quite strong (and heavier), especially in the butt. I had already purchased the Exocett SS 250 before I discovered the Jungle rod; I in no way regret my decision, but I do like the Jungle rod also. Who knows, it may come down to whether one prefers a blue blank or a green blank. Hopefully you can test cast both rods, and again I would think that the 8'9" 8 wt may be more comparable to the Exocett SS 250.

    250 vs 350: First off, I would echo what clsmith said above about the 250 being like a 7/8 and the 350 being like a 9/10. I think I like the 7/8 better with something over 250 grains (though it loads a SA Titan 7 wt at 240 just fine). I've cast the 350 with a 380 grain and it handled it great, but I've fished the rod with a 330 grain line and had no issues with it loading. I think that the SS rods accept a decent range of lines such that you can go a bit below the designated weight and the rod will still load or go a bit over the designated weight without the rod feeling overloaded. I do think the rods cast pretty similarly, and so for me the choice really comes down to the flies I'm using and what I'm throwing them at. I purchased both rods towards the end of last year and so I haven't had the opportunity to use either all that much. I've used the 250 throwing large streamers to big trout and I've used the 350 for Golden Dorado and hope to use it for stripers. I agree that the 350 feels heavier than the 250, but to me it still feels lighter than a "typical" 9 or 10 weight. If distance is absolutely key you should cast the SS against a more traditional rod (I can cast the same flies farther with my NRX 9 wt than with my SS 350), but I would hardly say that the SS rods are lacking in power and they just cast and feel great.

    Good luck to you.
    Thank you so much for this very detailed and thoughtful breakdown in an area where I have found nothing even close to this kind of explanation online. This is really very helpful. I will get a chance to cast them together as there is a fly shop nearby that is both a Winston and a T and T dealer.

  11. Likes clsmith131 liked this post
  12. #19

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    I've been curious about the Jungle also. I have an old Winston BII-MX 908 that has served me well, and taken a serious beating in the process. I believe the SX followed MX, which was then succeeded by the plus and the jungle rods were a branch from that. As such, I figured they would be pretty similar. I also really like that green anodized reel seat with the Winston insignia. But I already have too many similar rods in #'s 8 & 9 justify a purchase - which is also what I said before I bought the last rod. The picture of an 8wt Jungle with an Abel Super with the peacock bass pattern just flashed in my head, no doubt from an add or sponsored review I saw somewhere...

  13. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Crowded Colorado
    Posts
    2,109

    Default Re: Thomas and Thomas Rods

    When I bought my T&T Aeros, I was constantly bugging Mr. Carpenter by email. First off, what a terrific guy he is. I told him I had no way to test cast the rod, so I was coming in blind on this purchase. I explained to him what I was looking for in this this rod and how I planned to fish it, and was hoping he could fill in the missing pieces and explain what I was going to experience with this rod.

    He was right on the money. Everything he said about this rod was true. When I got the rod I couldn't wait to fish it to see if it would be anything like John said it would be. All I can say is , wow! This rod is fantastic. John even emailed me back after a few weeks and asked if I used it yet and what I thought of it. That tells me T&T cares about their customers satisfaction.

    I'd say email them at T&T and talk with them. They'll tell you like it really is with their rods.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

  14. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post
    Likes el jefe, WNCtroutstalker liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2019, 08:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2018, 12:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2017, 02:40 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2017, 09:40 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •