Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Recommendations for Saltwater fly rods

Keep your eye out for an Echo EPR or Redington Predator as well- both excellent rods for the money.

Charleston used to have a fly shop?-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP, I think you have ben invited to call Taylor Fly Fishing, you have an opportunity here.

3. Likes k_e_v, brownbass liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    OP, I think you have ben invited to call Taylor Fly Fishing, you have an opportunity here.
    That would be correct. Exploring some options here and seeing if I can stay within my budget. I must say that the Taylor rods and reels sure check the box for aesthetics. Plus, the few reviews that I’ve read have me excited about their products.

Would really like to thank all that took the time to reply. Very much appreciated.

The Charleston Angler and The Lowcountry Fly Shop are in Charleston, even closer to Savannah is Bay Street Outfitters in Beaufort.

Between the 2 you mentioned plus these 3 you should be able to get lots of info and try a number of rods.

I spent 10 minutes casting a TFO Axiom II. In that time it seemed like a good casting rod. I also fished with a TFO Mangrove in 9 wt. If the 8 is similar then it is a good rod also. These days there are almost too many good rods to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
    I spent 10 minutes casting a TFO Axiom II. In that time it seemed like a good casting rod. I also fished with a TFO Mangrove in 9 wt. If the 8 is similar then it is a good rod also. These days there are almost too many good rods to choose from.
    You’re absolutely correct in that there are several good rods available these days. I’m just looking for the best bang for my buck.

Question regarding the TFO rods; I heard that tend to be a little on the fragile side, but that they have one helluva warranty to cover it. Any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
    You’re absolutely correct in that there are several good rods available these days. I’m just looking for the best bang for my buck.

Question regarding the TFO rods; I heard that tend to be a little on the fragile side, but that they have one helluva warranty to cover it. Any truth to that?
    I have only cast a few of their models but I don't own any. The BVK models have a reputation for being fragile, but I haven't seen much about other models. I think their warranty process is to send the broken rod and $25 to them and they will send a replacement.

My wife's BVK#8 is several years old and has caught many good bonefish and remains unscathed. Look for a rod within your price range that you like to cast/fish with. Ignore warranty, any reputable company in fly fishing stands behind their rods. Rods almost never break by being fished...celling fans, car doors, human errors break rods. Treat your equipment with care and respect and enjoy fishing.

10. Likes clouserguyky, dharkin liked this post
  11. Default Re: Recommendations for Saltwater fly rods

Quote Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
    The Mangrove in particular is very durable. I've had the 7wt for 3 years with zero issues. It's one of my favorite rods. I had a BVK 6wt for about three years too and broke it numerous times. The warranty is exceptional. Each time I had the rod back in one week or less.

12. Default Re: Recommendations for Saltwater fly rods

A couple of years ago I bought a Redington Voyant on craigslist for $100. It was brand new, I think the seller bought a bunch on closeout. It must have been Redington's least popular rod or something, I see very few mentions of it on forums like this one or in comparison reviews. Anyway, mine is a 7 weight, and what little I could find out about it suggests it is a pretty stiff 7 so I use it with 8 wt line and it casts fine, at least for my meager skill level. It seems well made, as far as I can tell, and is a nice red color. I use it for pike and bass at home in Vermont, and for stripers in RI. Right now I am in the Florida Keys and brought it with me. Haven't caught anything but after a long cold winter I have gotten some casting practice into the wind.

Anyone familiar with this rod? As I have mentioned elsewhere I have never tried a really high end rod, and am afraid to do so (as the old song goes, how ya gonna keep em down on the farm...).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast