Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Recommendations for Saltwater fly rods

Hog,

I have a barely used sage salt 9wt for sale in the classifieds that may fit your budget if interested. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Deep View Post
    Hog,

I have a barely used sage salt 9wt for sale in the classifieds that may fit your budget if interested. PM me.
    A truly great rod when mounted with the correct line (RIO Permit or Flats Pro #9 (10)).

3. Likes fly2field liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
    Youíre absolutely correct in that there are several good rods available these days. Iím just looking for the best bang for my buck.

Question regarding the TFO rods; I heard that tend to be a little on the fragile side, but that they have one helluva warranty to cover it. Any truth to that?
    Yes. I've heard the BVK has a tendency to break, and mine did. I sent it to TFO and I had it back with a new section in a couple of weeks. The warranty and customer service are great, but you will be without the rod for a couple of weeks, and if it breaks and you have no backup with you (as mine did), you are done fishing that day. I like my BVK a lot - it's light and casts great - but won't take it without a backup.

You mentioned the Aetos, and that is also another rod that casts great for the price, and most of the hardware is pretty good, but the cork is not. I had one for a few months and just sold it because the cork quality was so poor. It did not bother me to look at, and I thought it would be fine, but the cork was so pitted that it was actually uncomfortable to cast. I hated to get rid of it, as it cast so nicely, but it was just so disappointing to feel that when I tried to fish the rod.
    People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123