Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Recommendations for Saltwater fly rods

I live in Southern Georgia (Savannah area) and want to start doing some saltwater fly fishing, specifically for Redfish. I知 a freshwater guy and I知 all geared up for trout, so this is all new for me. I知 picky as hell about my gear and have Cadillac tastes on a shoestring budget, so bang for your buck is important to me. I致e looked at several different fly rods, but haven稚 had the opportunity to cast any of them. Just reading reviews and watching YouTube video痴 is the best that I can do right now. I知 curious to know what the communities thoughts are on some of the budget friendly rods like Echo and TFO, such as the Boost, E3, ION, BVK and Mangrove in 8wt. I知 looking to spend around $400 to $500 for the entire setup. New and used options are on the table, so I知 open for other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Recommendations for Saltwater fly rods

Hog, What about the local fly shop?

CB

A rod series I own and often recommend as a bang-for-the-buck #8 or 9-weight is Echo Sports ECHO3S. They are well built, rugged and cast well. They may also be on sale right now as they are in the process of being updated. Douglas Outdoors and Rise Fly Fishing ae up there too and Taylor Fly Fishing has rods on sale now too. Taylor and Allen Fly Fishing offer quality reels at reasonable price points...and they are Forum Sponsors.

4. Likes bwf liked this post
  5. Default Re: Recommendations for Saltwater fly rods

I picked up an Echo 3S in 12 as a backup to my H3. Once I cast it, I never even fished the H3.

There are two somewhat local fly shops in the general area; one in downtown Savannah and the other on Hilton Head. Both have very limited offerings, so I do my shopping online. The one in Savannah has no place to cast unless I stand in the street to do it and the one on Hilton Head is more focused on standard fishing. Because of the limited access for those of us that fly fish (unless you have a boat) is the cause for the lack of full service fly shops down here. Northern Georgia, on the other hand, is fly fishing heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by denver1911 View Post
    I picked up an Echo 3S in 12 as a backup to my H3. Once I cast it, I never even fished the H3.
    I’ll take a longer look at the Echo fly rods. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
    I’m looking to spend around $400 to $500 for the entire setup. New and used options are on the table, so I’m open for other suggestions as well.
    I take it that by "entire setup" you mean the stated budget is for a rod, reel and line? If so, I would think that Echo 3S (originally $400 but now can be found for $250ish) would be hard to beat. I've never cast one and I personally put little stock in The Yellowstone Angler shootouts, but the Fenwick Aetos ($189) was deemed a very good rod for the money and so you might look into that. Even if your rod budget is $500, I don't know that would get you a used premium rod (Meridian, NRX, etc.). But it would cover rods like the Scott Tidal or Sage Motive, and you presumably could find used ones for sub-$300. It sounds like you're not in a position to venture out right now, but assuming you can before your buying deadline I'd call some of the shops in the Charleston area (looks to be about 2 hours from you) and see what they have on the floor to try. If their inventories are too sparse, you might try The Fish Hawk in Atlanta, though that would no doubt be a very long day in the car. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    I take it that by "entire setup" you mean the stated budget is for a rod, reel and line? If so, I would think that Echo 3S (originally $400 but now can be found for $250ish) would be hard to beat. I've never cast one and I personally put little stock in The Yellowstone Angler shootouts, but the Fenwick Aetos ($189) was deemed a very good rod for the money and so you might look into that. Even if your rod budget is $500, I don't know that would get you a used premium rod (Meridian, NRX, etc.). But it would cover rods like the Scott Tidal or Sage Motive, and you presumably could find used ones for sub-$300. It sounds like you're not in a position to venture out right now, but assuming you can before your buying deadline I'd call some of the shops in the Charleston area (looks to be about 2 hours from you) and see what they have on the floor to try. If their inventories are too sparse, you might try The Fish Hawk in Atlanta, though that would no doubt be a very long day in the car. Good luck to you.
    Thanks for the response. I’ve considered the Aetos, but only because it gets very solid reviews, however the ding on the Aetos seems to be the quality of its components. I just question its durability in a saltwater environment. Possibly incorrect to do so, but it does worry me. The Echo 3S definitely has my interest as does the TFO Axiom. Both get great reviews and the Echo seems to be well liked amongst this community. Would love to cast them before pulling the trigger, however if a good deal does present itself on either I’ll probably go with one or the other. That is, unless a deal pops up on a Tidal or something similar. Once again, appreciate the input. Tight Lines!

Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

Sweet and Salt is correct indicating Echo 3S rods are well built and very rugged. I recently purchased a 9wt Echo3S at a closeout price. The saltwater Echo 3S rods in saltwater line weights are not listed in the current Echo catalog (online) so I assume they are being phased out for a newer model. I cannot comment on the casting as my yard is still covered in a foot of snow. I will pair mine with a Allen Atlas. Allen sent me a email yesterday advertising all Kraken reels 20% off.

11. Likes bwf liked this post

We have a really great casting 8wt in our mid-priced bracket. Plus some great reels. DM us if interested and I will get you on a really good deal. I can guarantee our rod will be the best casting option that has been recommend.

Cheers!
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com

13. Likes k_e_v liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast