Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 5wt for dries in the range of a Hardy Wraith?

Hi there,

I've been considering a Hardy Wraith - hoping to get a chance to fiddle with one tomorrow to validate what I've heard so far, but the feedback seems to be that it's better for long distance casts and perhaps too stiff to be ideal for dries.

Are there other rods in that general range folks would suggest would be better to look at if dries in particular are the use case? I already have a 6wt Shadow that's great for bigger bugs, nymphing, long casting... and in my opinion it does quite well with dries too, but I'd say it also really wants to have long casts, similar to what people seem to be saying about the Wraith. So it feels like other than the weight I sort of already have that tool in my toolbox.

Interested to hear your take.

Default Re: 5wt for dries in the range of a Hardy Wraith?

Where and what type rivers are you fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by 4wt View Post
    Hi there,

I've been considering a Hardy Wraith. Are there other rods in that general range folks would suggest would be better to look at if dries in particular are the use case?
    So a quick search revealed that the original MSRP was $849 but that it can be found for $700ish on closeout. So is $700 your budget?

I would seriously look at the Winston Biii-LS; they offer both a 8'6" and 9' in the 5 wt. I've only lawn cast the 9' 5 wt, but it was very smooth. They can be found for around $500 on closeout, but there don't seem to be many left so act quickly if interested. And get either the Elder or Tiger Maple seat, not the ugly (IMO) metal one!

I haven't cast most of these, but if your budget is $850 I would look at the Scott G 885 (very nice), the Winston Air and Pure, and the T&T Avantt (loved it!) and Aeros. The Scott, the Air and Avantt are considered more all-arounders, but that doesn't mean they don't throw a dry really well. But the Pure and Aeros would have a more moderate action that their Air and Avantt counterparts.

EDIT: The Winston Biii-X 9' 5 wt can still be found on closeout also, but for dries I'd go with the Biii-LS.

hi 4 wt,

why not a zephrus - you canīt go wrong.

nice we.

thomas

5. Likes proheli liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    So a quick search revealed that the original MSRP was $849 but that it can be found for $700ish on closeout. So is $700 your budget?

I would seriously look at the Winston Biii-LS; they offer both a 8'6" and 9' in the 5 wt. I've only lawn cast the 9' 5 wt, but it was very smooth. They can be found for around $500 on closeout, but there don't seem to be many left so act quickly if interested. And get either the Elder or Tiger Maple seat, not the ugly (IMO) metal one!

I haven't cast most of these, but if your budget is $850 I would look at the Scott G 885 (very nice), the Winston Air and Pure, and the T&T Avantt (loved it!) and Aeros. The Scott, the Air and Avantt are considered more all-arounders, but that doesn't mean they don't throw a dry really well. But the Pure and Aeros would have a more moderate action that their Air and Avantt counterparts.

EDIT: The Winston Biii-X 9' 5 wt can still be found on closeout also, but for dries I'd go with the Biii-LS.
    Coincidentally, I own a Winston 9' 5wt BIII LS, and a Scott GS 885, and did own a 9'5 wt BIIIX, and still own a 9'6wt BIIIX.....From the OP's initial description, it's a bit tough to decipher the water type or intended usage he eludes to, but I'll take a stab....he says he has a 6wt for other duties and will throw drys but not as close as he would like the next tool to be, he also eludes to dry preference over all-arounder. "dry preference" on this forum often comes in two forms, 1) A higher line speed specialty tool for aerial mending and associated specialty presentation work, & 2) A full flexing softer rod configuration, often associated with lighter delivery and delicate presentations.

The preference of each individual angler lies in their comfort and beliefs therein. for the purpose of gaining more clarity from the OP, I'll make assumptions and they can correct me from there if adjustment is needed; I will assume medium sized water is being fished and casting distances of sub 50-60' is the target, I will assume that this rod will be dedicated to drys only, I will further assume that by the posts title and reference to the OP's other rod(s) in quiver he is most familiar with and/or prefers Hardy branded rods.

Further, I will assume, based in contained verbiage, that the OP seeks a shorter presentation rod than is currently in their active quiver. These things said, intended water to be fished will be a critical contributing factor, as will preference of rod action, and further, as previously mentioned, budget set for new acquisition. If a faster line speed, specialty presentation rod is sought...we haven't touched on these. If a softer, full flexing, delicate presentation design is sought, some rods that come to mind would be the Scott GS Series, the previously mentioned Winston BIII LS series-predecessor to Pure (although BIIIX is often considered a very dry oriented rod as well), the Winston Air (although some dislike Air over 8 1/2' length and larger wt models), and specifically new Pure (the 9' 5wt is quite nice for dries but NOT an all arounder), and perhaps Loomis NRX LP (though IMO, softer and fuller flexing than NRX it's not soft, nor does it have ultra quick recovery and stability, and finds itself as a lesser NRX and not really it's own rod - not soft -not fast - not great at either) , potentially Burkheimer, T&T, and other more boutique makers could also fill the bill. As always, CAST and/or FISH if possible with any rods of consideration prior to purchase.

OP, we need water type, desired action, preferences, and expected budget spend, to be of further assistance in making any recommendations for you to consider adding to your exploration.

Hardy Zephrus 8'6'' #4... fantastic dry fly rod.
    Kent

For my bad English.

Blog Entries

My understanding of your question is what other rods cast like the Wraith? the Wraith is called extra fast by Hardy, more along the lines of the Sage Method or the newer Igniter series rods. Allen has the Azimuth series that they call extra-fast. I liked the Sage rods when casting and have never cast the Allen rods.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    Coincidentally, I own a Winston 9' 5wt BIII LS, and a Scott GS 885, and did own a 9'5 wt BIIIX, and still own a 9'6wt BIIIX.....From the OP's initial description, it's a bit tough to decipher the water type or intended usage he eludes to, but I'll take a stab....he says he has a 6wt for other duties and will throw drys but not as close as he would like the next tool to be, he also eludes to dry preference over all-arounder. "dry preference" on this forum often comes in two forms, 1) A higher line speed specialty tool for aerial mending and associated specialty presentation work, & 2) A full flexing softer rod configuration, often associated with lighter delivery and delicate presentations.

The preference of each individual angler lies in their comfort and beliefs therein. for the purpose of gaining more clarity from the OP, I'll make assumptions and they can correct me from there if adjustment is needed; I will assume medium sized water is being fished and casting distances of sub 50-60' is the target, I will assume that this rod will be dedicated to drys only, I will further assume that by the posts title and reference to the OP's other rod(s) in quiver he is most familiar with and/or prefers Hardy branded rods.

Further, I will assume, based in contained verbiage, that the OP seeks a shorter presentation rod than is currently in their active quiver. These things said, intended water to be fished will be a critical contributing factor, as will preference of rod action, and further, as previously mentioned, budget set for new acquisition. If a faster line speed, specialty presentation rod is sought...we haven't touched on these. If a softer, full flexing, delicate presentation design is sought, some rods that come to mind would be the Scott GS Series, the previously mentioned Winston BIII LS series-predecessor to Pure (although BIIIX is often considered a very dry oriented rod as well), the Winston Air (although some dislike Air over 8 1/2' length and larger wt models), and specifically new Pure (the 9' 5wt is quite nice for dries but NOT an all arounder), and perhaps Loomis NRX LP (though IMO, softer and fuller flexing than NRX it's not soft, nor does it have ultra quick recovery and stability, and finds itself as a lesser NRX and not really it's own rod - not soft -not fast - not great at either) , potentially Burkheimer, T&T, and other more boutique makers could also fill the bill. As always, CAST and/or FISH if possible with any rods of consideration prior to purchase.

OP, we need water type, desired action, preferences, and expected budget spend, to be of further assistance in making any recommendations for you to consider adding to your exploration.
    Hah. Yes, sorry for not being more specific. You pretty much nailed every detail. I'll try to be better in the future. I think I was mostly asking "what 5wt in the price range of a Wraith would you like for a purpose-built dry fly rod for east coast rivers and streams". And now, I'm actually thinking I might (shocking) want a 4wt for this purpose instead.

I had been leaning towards slower action but now I'm thinking fast action but softer tip. I played with a Scott Radian today, never cast a Scott before, but it seemed pretty much right on the dial for what I'm looking for. This re-sets my search and how I'm thinking about it.

10. Likes brownbass, coolkyle, cooutlaw liked this post

The Sage X is the nicest dry fly rod I have owned. It takes some getting used to, but with a true to weight line and a 12' tapered leader, the 590 is just beautiful. It has proven effective on smaller water in YNP, as well as big tailwaters from Idaho to Alberta.

Yorkshire UK a mile or so from the sea and my nearest trout stream

I fish a Loop Opti Stream , cant understand why they arent more widely used. Stacks up well against my Winstons and Sages and better than them in lots of ways

G S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast