Sage X 4100 vs Scott Radian 1004

cooutlaw

Reaction score
For many rod inquiries I'm a pretty active voice, trying my best to provide accurate personal experience casting and/or fishing most rods I comment on.

As some of you know, I have spent the last 3+ years thinning down my lifetime rod collection toward downsizing and retirement coming (hopefully) in the next couple years. I've relegated myself to keeping only 2wt-6wt gear, for solely trout only fishing, to cover anywhere I may fish my remaining days in AZ,CO,WY,MT,ID,NM,UT.

I have made great progress in this goal, and although painfully parlaying many great rods, and the associated many memories, passing my collection on to others to enjoy has been overall rewarding. When I guided as a young guy, I spent all of my weekly tip money on either rods or beer. As I ventured into the business world, I spent most of my discretionary income on gear, with years of high acquisition and other years of little if any acquisition. The outcome, to scale this somewhat, resulted in an accumulation of slightly over 250 rods and a large storage room of gear, I'm now down to about 70 rods, 1/4 of the gear, and continuing to thin. I think I have made a lot of anglers happy with some pretty rare pieces that are newly in their possession.

I'm obviously well on my way to my downsizing goal. And I have focused not only on downsizing but updating a few categories and pieces along the way.

I am now entering a category to fill that I have less familiarity with than most others, a high-stick, Euro Nymph, Float Tube arena, the usage will be primarily Small to Medium Tailwaters and maybe a step up larger water or two, obviously nymph primarily, but would appreciate the ability to throw a dry with confidence if need be, potentially float tube but far less likely than walk and wade. I have cast both of the rods in the title, but fished neither. I have cast most other 10'/4wts as well, I am looking for 4wt exclusively, I prefer the lighter swing weight and feel of these two rods, especially in this 10' length config.

What I am seeking is feedback from people that own and have hopefully, extensively fished one or both of these rods. As I have yet to FISH either of them. I realize there are numerous other rod options in this category, I have explored some of them, but I have comfortably wound down to specifically these two, and am particularly interested in the intricate differences of each ones capabilities and real usage variances, what each does well, not so well, and not at all. Really the nitty gritty down and dirty details, not the high level, both similar roles, scenario. I have my own thoughts from the casting sessions, but I'm looking for real world on water confirmations. Thanks.

el jefe

Reaction score
I have not fished either rod, but am interested in both. If you seek out stater61 on this forum, he can give you a lot of information about the Radian 1004.

I am curious to hear what you find out in your quest.

LukeNZ

Reaction score
Well that seems like an easy comparison to resolve.

As you have just got rid of almost 200 rods, you obviously have the funds and the storage space now - so what the heck; just get both!

Try em side by side and see which you prefer, sell the other - or keep it as a back-up?

Cheers and beers,
Luke.

dennyk

Reaction score
I have not thrown either rod as well, but the Radian 1004 is the next rod on my list. I do not buy and sell my rods, when I purchase one it is meant to be kept. My reason for the Radian is I have 5 Scott rods which are my workhorses and am very well pleased with all of them. The 1004 will be meant for mainly nymphing.

Denny

osseous

Reaction score
I own the Radian- and I have spent some time with the X. I encourage you to fish with a true Euro nymph rod. Neither of these is close to the definition, or works well for mono leader casts. The compromises compared to a dedicated Euro design are significant. If that's what you intend to do, you'd be better off with a softer design. These two are true "western 4s" as written about by Telluride Angler in recent years. They're great examples of the breed- but the power demands of that role come at a sacrifice of the touch needed for mono rig tight line work. They're stout- and that just doesn't serve well when there's no flyline out the tip. You can do it- but don't think you're getting the same experience. Conversely, euro designs are pretty compromised as traditional 4 wts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Well that seems like an easy comparison to resolve.

As you have just got rid of almost 200 rods, you obviously have the funds and the storage space now - so what the heck; just get both!

Try em side by side and see which you prefer, sell the other - or keep it as a back-up?

Cheers and beers,
Luke.
This thought has crossed my mind for sure. However, the idea is to thin down from my previous collector mindset to only a specific quiver which will be used frequently....historically I neared hoarder like status, with many makers models in near every configuration imaginable from nearly every production run....and many multiples, for instance, I just sold 2 new in the tube (30 yr old) Sage 590 RPL's, and although I fished a 3rd RPL for many years pretty regularly, the others I had kept as collectibles and none of the collectibles had been fished in 30 years....I did the same with Winston IM6's and Sage LL's and Scott G's, etc......the new owner was very happy to acquire the RPL find, but for me it's now about traveling lighter and although 40 years of collecting was fun and quite rewarding, especially as a teenager and then young guide, I do not any longer want the baggage and maintenance of a climate controlled rod room and upkeep and monitoring of such an inventory....or anything else that will burn time that could be spent on living life....I'd prefer not to add any additional surplus inventory that would require getting sold off, I just want a comprehensive quiver of preferred application pieces and no more extra baggage....as I posted before, at some point, good enough is good enough...and there comes a point where it's time..... to simply fish.

dr d

Reaction score
hi cooutlaw,

if you wish "crossover" >>> 9,6 or 10f are suitable but rather in #3.

the x 4100 may be overgunned unless you are fixed on trophies.

i´m familiar with x 9f #3 which is nearly a #4 - my favorite for difficult dries.

in 10f #3 i recommend zephrus(more nymph) and in 9,6 #3 stickman(more crossover).

very familiar to this theme is your compatriot devin olsen from your us team.

nice week.

thomas

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I own the Radian- and I have spent some time with the X. I encourage you to fish with a true Euro nymph rod. Neither of these is close to the definition, or works well for mono leader casts. The compromises compared to a dedicated Euro design are significant. If that's what you intend to do, you'd be better off with a softer design. These two are true "western 4s" as written about by Telluride Angler in recent years. They're great examples of the breed- but the power demands of that role come at a sacrifice of the touch needed for mono rig tight line work. They're stout- and that just doesn't serve well when there's no flyline out the tip. You can do it- but don't think you're getting the same experience. Conversely, euro designs are pretty compromised as traditional 4 wts.

Thank you. I have also made this differentiation and although I see either of these rods as filling a nymphing role (for me), I don't see them as mono slingers either. Nor am I really interested in that application, I see the intrigue, and understand the effectiveness of the discipline, but just not my gig or a method I want add to my personal bag of tricks. I think by definition and with all the adjectives used to currently describe any "high stick" techniques, the dividing lines of techniques can get pretty blurred. I see this as merely a step up piece of additional reach and mending for traditional tailwater type nymphing above that of say, what my GS884 could provide on a windier day. I'd love to hear your feedback on your experience with the Radian and X in this configuration.

osseous

Reaction score
You mentioned Euro in your open- so I went there. The Radian does a great job at being a Western 4- so reaching over current seams while handling multiple fly rigs plus an indicator, or heavier two fly rigs for hopper/dropper is no problem. You sacrifice a bit of absolute accuracy for dries- but it's not that bad. I enjoy fishing dries with it. Just not the laser accurate rod that an 8 1/2' rod would offer. I do lot of French leader double nymph fishing with it in shallow riffles- a killer technique here on the Front Range when the fish are forced out of the heavily pressured pools to feed.

I'm a believer in the tech behind the X when it comes to accuracy- I swapped out my Sage Ones for Xs across the board- so it wouldn't surprise me if the X held an advantage over the Radian here- but that's just speculation from an admitted Sage X fanboy. I haven't compared them back to back to see if that holds up.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I use a 27 foot mono leader and they work well on all my rods. They take a bit of time to get used to. I have not tried the Radian or the X so I can't help you there. I do use a Seele (McFarland) 10'5" 4wt and it works great for all methods of fishing and has a excellent reach. If I'm just going with with nymphing only I use a Keiryu fixed line rod from 12- 16 feet.