Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 6 wt graphite similar to Sage X?

Here is a bit of a variation on the standard what rod should i get posts:

For reasons too messy to explain my wife and i now have two Sage X 9' 6 wts. One is brand new, unopened. We fish 6 wts mostly with dries and dry/dropper rigs on a lake, and some with modest sized streamers, with double nymph rigs, or with big dry / dropper rigs on rivers when the wind shuts down a 5 wt. We fish these rods almost entirely in the Yellowstone area where we have a home; in all the fishing i have done in the southeast i might have never gotten a 6 wt rod out.

Here's my question: if we were to trade the brand new unopened one in, either literally in a trade, or by selling the X and buying another rod --- what rod should we look to replace it with? I am vaguely aware of some possibilities, and the only two i know to ask about are Scott Radian and Winston Biiix (my wife got a 9' 5 wt Biiix when they went on closeout sales last summer).

thanks.

edit: we both like the X a lot, and we dont necessarily need to get rid of one, but the chance to have a different rod, similar in style, is at least an interesting possibility.
    Last edited by wthorpe; 03-28-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Default Re: 6 wt graphite similar to Sage X?

To directly answer your question, the Scott GS 906 gets remarkable praise from what I have read. John Duncan at TA really likes the 906 AIR, but you would consider it softer.

I donít think the flex profile of the X is perfectly progressive, and since most rods Are, youíre going to get a little different feel with about any 906.

The Radian you mention is ďhingyĒ. The top two sections are softer and the bottom two are stiffer. It makes for a very effective rod, but I didnít enjoy that feel.

The biiix is almost a legend in 906, but then the 906 Air is a one of the sweet spots in the new line up.

The X isnít super fast or super slow (for graphite) so most of the rods you could purchase will be in or near the same category, so once again itís going to be a matter of flex profile - the X bending a little deeper and letting the tip stay a little stiffer, so itís just not quite perfectly progessive. Iíve only cast the X 905 so you might disregard everything Iíve said, lol, but as long as you get a quality rod it should be fun.

3. Likes cooutlaw liked this post

U puled out a 6 wt. cause the wind picked up n the 5 wt. was over matched. Having fished both the 906 Radian and the 6wt. X the Radian has more lower end power than the X. The Radian would be a complement to the X u already have. Go cast one and see for yourself.
    The Winston BIIIx in a 6 wt is head n shoulders above the same rod in 5 wt.

5. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
    Blog Entries

I guess I have to say that if you both like the X rod and are not forced to part with one due to expenses then why even debate the issue?

On the other hand I have no idea how technical of a cast analyzer either of you are. Me? I'm not overly demanding in the fine points between rods. I rate rods in just 2 distinct categories, good or not good and I leave the hair splitting to the pro's.

I do happen to have a Sage Foundation 5 weight and am pretty sure they offer a 6 weight in the same rod. I rate my 5 wt. as good so maybe try one of them if you are able. They sell for about 350 but are only available in a couple sizes. I thought that the blank appearance and the power they seem to have is suspiciously similar to the Sage One...…….. But like I said I'm not an expert judge of these things.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=proheli;1332262]To directly answer your question, the Scott GS 906 gets remarkable praise from what I have read. John Duncan at TA really likes the 906 AIR, but you would consider it softer.

Unless I've missed something in our personal conversations talking sticks, I'm not sure Dunk at TA is an Air fan, other than the exception of the 8'6" 3wt Air (which he actually cast with me after talking and hearing my takes on the Air/Pure series at the Denver Show), he strongly prefers a few models the Pure line (7'6" 3wt, 8' 4wt, 9' 4wt, 9' 5wt). I just checked their site and the 906 Air he has ranked at 4 stars...not bad...but he wasn't raving about it -trust me John doesn't hold back good or bad opinion, in print or in person. You have to remember also that they just recently dropped Hardy and picked up Winston, so it's been a few years since John has really compared a Winston to his other contracted dealership brands, and he missed a few series along the way, and has relied on trusted others for some feedback in that realm.

That said, even though slightly softer and slightly slower than a BIIIX I'm sure the 906 Air is a capable rod, but probably has not had an adequate lifespan yet to compare to the cult feedback of the 906 BIIIX. I'm guessing the traction will pick-up with the BIIIX's retirement. The GS 906 is, indeed, IMO, an excellent rod that I'd have no issue recommending being in the mix of consideration in comparison of med- med/fast 6wts. I think it would compare favorably to the 906 BIIIX (which is the last remaining of 4 BIIIX's I owned).

The Radian does differ from the X, as I have posted before, in that the upper tip sections are softer and transition to a stouter, more powerful, lower end butt section ....much like the Sage Z Axis, some do find this action "hingy", some think the Radian does the tip flex better, others think the Z Axis was better. Personally, I like the Radian better than the Z, the action doesnt bother me in the least, and it's just a bit lighter in hand and felt swing, and I think, even though some may disagree, that it still tracks better even with maybe not as quick of tip recovery. I also find the Radian a very accurate rod for me. I also own an 8'6" 5wt X and a 9' 5wt X and find them both very nice rods, the 8'6" for dries and medium water and the 9' 5wt a competent all-arounder with a much fuller flexing profile, but still quite accurate and quick recovery. I have cast the 9' 6wt X and 691(fighting butt X) and although splitting hairs, I like the 691, although both feel more nymph/wind resistant flies to me than true streamer rods, both are very capable. The 6 wt Radian is, to me, a more powerful rod (particularly w/ fighting butt) than the 6wt X.

I agree that the X is an anomaly of sorts, it is not Fast, Fast. But it is also not slow in the least.

All this in mind, I'm not sure I actually understand what the OP is trying to achieve...is it just variety of rod choice? Or is a particular aspect of fishing that they would like to achieve that the current 6 wt X falls short in? Is it just not wanting two of the same rod in the quiver? Assuming just having another rod choice is the goal, what attributes would they like have, slower, faster, more flex profile, less flex profile, bigger water rod, sink tip, where are we wanting to fish it?......I understand they enjoy the X....are we wanting another similar rod in the mix? If so, why do we not just want two X's?

People will likely recommend Asquith, NRX, Scott GS, Scott Radian, Winston Air, and a host of other makers models to compare.....there are 6wt choices galore....(some also like even the Sage ONE in 6 wt better than 5 wt- can't comment myself, I've never cast or fished either and never desired to while ONE was actively in market production I was chasing other offerings during that period).....but really, a thousand recommendations of "similar to X" will still not help whatsoever if you don't like the rod yourselves. NOBODY can pick the rod that you like best....as always the best recommendation is to cast and/or fish as many rods as you can in the wt class you are considering.....since you like, own, and have cast and fished the X, you already have a baseline for comparison......sounds like fun....line up a pile of 6wts and compare. Pick the one that YOU like best, nobody else needs to be pleased with the rod but you. Even if you don't find one that makes you smile, no harm, no foul, you had fun. As you said, you don't NEED to replace the X, shop around, if it happens great, if it doesn't no big deal. Good luck, take your time, and mostly, have fun choosing or not!
    Last edited by cooutlaw; 03-28-2019 at 10:00 PM.

9. Default Re: 6 wt graphite similar to Sage X?

I'm a big fan of the 6 weight H3s, both F and D designations...

I am fishing a 6wt Sage One myself and it's my favorite rod. Not sure if you could find one, but it would complement the X well.

Hi cooutlaw. I could have misheard him, and I don’t want to presume to speak for anyone. I was pretty sure I heard him say the sweet spots for him were the 376 and 906. There is nothing to say a person’s opinion can’t change over time, but whatever., it’s cool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by proheli View Post
    Hi cooutlaw. I could have misheard him, and I don’t want to presume to speak for anyone. I was pretty sure I heard him say the sweet spots for him were the 376 and 906. There is nothing to say a person’s opinion can’t change over time, but whatever., it’s cool.
    For sure, I'm totally with you on that. He may have spent more time with them since we last talked too, it's been a couple months since we connected.

I know he loved the 8'6" 3wt Air (more than I do), and was really hot on the 7'6" 3 wt, 8' 4 wt, 9' 4wt, and 9' 5wt Pures. I posted awhile back my concern for Air and Pure series, Air being a slower BIIIX and Pure being a faster BIII LS, making them now potentially too close together in certain models to really be differentiated as unique and independent series of rods. Even S&S had difficulty ascertaining the spread between 8' 4wt Air and Pure to find a preference when casting at the eastern show. I think most of the 8' and under 3&4 wt configurations in both series are pretty dang similar. The differences are more evident in longer rods and greater line wts.

Personally, having cast or fished all models in both series now, I am only seeing a few models that truly show a few intricacies making them unique and standouts in each series. Of course the Air is the sole choice once you get past a 5 wt. But, my expressed fears may have been founded, as it's definitely a closer comparison with Air -Pure than say, GS - Radian, or X-Mod, etc. Though arguably there then comes another 2-3-4 other Winston series that offer greater variance.

The whole dozen models in each of 6 series per maker thing is getting to be overkill to me.

I've come to a conclusion recently while thinning down my collection toward downsizing and retirement (hopefully sometime in a couple years), that I've cast far too many rods in my life, but not fished nearly enough. I'm at a point where very few rods are impressing me, but fish still do. I'm now wanting only rods that do what I want them to do, disappear in my hands, and allow me to simply fish- without analysis or comparison or any other form of brain damage....rods that just fish well, period.

I've regulated myself to 2wt-6wt rods only, and trout only fishing for the remainder of my days. The rods I am keeping are meeting very few, but highly specific, requirements....1) they fish well for appropriate, specific water I might fish. 2) I cast them and they are an extension of my arm, intuitive, I forget which rod I'm casting and never think about the rod, just the presentation and the fish. 3) They are friendly, I like them and they like me, we both are happy while we fish-no problems, issues, arguments, fights, or challenges. 4) They are not a compromise, if I don't like something about them I won't fish them, so, I won't keep them....I no longer want too many rods that I won't fish....this could be any reason that they do not inspire me to fish them....life is too short to be unhappy in a compromise. But conversely, I've also realized what good enough looks like, and good only gets so good.

So far, in the last two years I've thinned down substantially, to a group of rods, by several makers, that are all still in the final running, including a few updated pieces added to certain wt categories along they way, I could grab any of the 40 or so remaining and happily fish the specific environment they fit......now is phase two.....where only the best (for me) stay and get fed....this process is lengthier.....because the acid test is purely how well they fish for me.....I'm at a point where my judgement of rods is deeper than mere comparison of attributes....it's more akin to if I was to be stranded on a desert island with one....which one would I choose to keep me company. Guess I'm getting more particular about fishing and less particular about rods in my old age as long as they cut the mustard. But I'm also not looking to drive a Ford Pinto into retirement either.

Sorry for the derail folks.....back to your regular scheduled thread....onward...my apologies.
    Last edited by cooutlaw; 03-29-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Igniter 6s are getting a lot of praise- perhaps one will meet your needs

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Osseous,
    Igniter was a great recommendation. 6 wt. would be a step up from t same wt. X, but the OP might also try the Igniter in a 7wt. As well. If he and wife fish out west the wind is certainly a factor that can challenge a fast 6 wt.

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast