Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First Rod: Targeting smallmouth and striped/hybrid bass in Ohio small rivers/stre

Thanks guys.. great information.

Default Re: First Rod: Targeting smallmouth and striped/hybrid bass in Ohio small rivers/stre

Sending you a PM to chew on later when I get home from work.

And welcome to fly fishing, and the forum.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

3. Likes hawk45 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I had to come back in to say I agree; you don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy this sport. I hope I didn't come off that way in my original comments, because that isn't what I was trying to imply.

Thanks,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

5. Likes hawk45, jayr liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    I had to come back in to say I agree; you don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy this sport. I hope I didn't come off that way in my original comments, because that isn't what I was trying to imply.

Thanks,
    steve
    Not at all Steve. As mentioned, I'm a gear guy by nature, but I usaully work my way up. Start off with thinking I'm going to go budget but then triple/quadrupling my budget when all I have to do is click the shinny button "Buy". That said, I have about 12 hobbies, and as we all know, none are ever cheap. I like to get all perspectives and feel everyone is covering those points of view very well.

7. Thanks spm thanked for this post

IMHO I'd go 6 weight. Any more is a lot of rod, especially for a first rod. The only way I'd consider heavier than 6 is if you're regularly getting into bigger bass (like regularly 15+ inch range), and/or intend to mostly fish bigger streamers (like 4 to 6+ inch).

7+ weight is starting to get into big-game rod territory. Though you'll likely want such a rod some day, a 6 weight is gonna be a lot more fun against average size smallmouth. It'll also be less overkill for the occasional bluegill or rock bass, and it'll still hold its own against trophies.

as far as a brand recommendation, I'll second the Vice. It fits the bill as far as being 80% as capable for a quarter of the price, especially for chucking meatier flies. Currently I'm using one as a raft rod for brown trout, and it's a good time throwing 3"ish tungsten bunny streamers and articulated type stuff.

I've fished a Mangrove and they're also really nice. I'd say the Mangrove has little a stiffer tip but loads deeper than the more tip-flexy Vice.

fwiw I grew up in the midwest fishing for river smallmouth as well, and think about those fish every day! Good luck in your rod search. Let us know what you end up with.

9. Likes ejsell, hawk45, clouserguyky liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12