Sage Fli or Launch~

Reaction score
Hello there! :exercise: Which rod do prefer of Sage Fli and Sage Launch wt5? Curious because I have found two pretty good deal on each rod, if you own either of the rods, I would be interested to know what you think, pros and cons (if any.). Thanks!

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Both good rods, the Fli is designed to be a little faster action. If it is the new model Flight that you are looking at (the model that replaced the Fli), I could give you quite a bit more input as I have cast it quite a bit recently and compared it to other rods. Sage is a great rod company and MADE IN THE USA!

jimw

Reaction score
I have a sage fli 8'6" 5wt and it cast really nice i bought mine used several years ago and have never had a problem. I have never tried a 5wt launch.

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
I have an 8 wt Launch and bought my wife a 4 wt. I cast both the Launch and Fli rods. I felt the Launch was smoother casting and a little lighter. I was able to put out as much line with the Launch. I also had better luck casting it in close. Having not fished an Fli, I can't really comment there. However, the Launch has done a very good job for me. I've been pleased with how easily I could detect light strikes and pick-ups. And I can't honestly say I've lost any fish because of the Launch rods. :wink:
BTW, given the closeout pricing on the Fli, I could have gotten it them for $9. more. I chose the "less expensive" rods.

Greenwood

Reaction score
I have a 9' 5wt. 4 piece fli; a 9 1/2' 6 wt 4 piece fli and my brother fishes an 8 1/2' 5 wt Launch. The Fli's are a little faster than the Launch. Obviously, I like 'em or I wouldn't have two. I use WF floating line and sink tip lines on both. The only time I have a little problem is when I'm fishing with droppers; if I get the loops too tight (because of the faster action) I may snag the dropper onto the line. And, that's not the rods fault.

I liked them and thought they were worth the $300. Since they're (Fli) is being replaced with the Flight, there should be some great buys on Fli's out there.

Reaction score
Okay, I seee. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated!! So for me as I am pretty new to fly fishing the Launch would be the better fit?

Benford

Reaction score
I bought an Fli because the shop I was in was selling them for $171...no joke...who wouldn't buy one!?!? haha

It's a 9ft 4wt and I love it, mainly because it's a four-piece, has the Sage warranty....and although it's classified as a fast action it's slower than typical 'fast action' rods. It casts well and it pretty easy on light tippets.

I have never tried a launch, but being a Sage and my experience being good with them so far, I'd say you're good with either. Get what's cheaper! haha

Greenwood

Reaction score
the Launch might be a little easier for a beginner to develop the casting rhythmn....don't know for sure. And I THINK I read somewhere on here earlier in the year, that the Launch and maybe Fli are made outside the U.S. But, that wasn't a critical thing in my decision to buy.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have 2 FLi's, a 7ft 3wt 4pc and a 9ft 4wt 4pc. I love them. They are great rods and I picked them up for 125 each. Couldnt be happier.

ksbrowntrout2

Reaction score
I think you would be better off with the launch at the start...a little smoother, and a little more forgiving.

And to clarify, as of 2009 all sage rods are made in USA

thelumberjack

Reaction score
The launch is a great rod. Although I haven't fished a Fli, I see no reason why you should pay another $100 for something relatively similar. But if you follow the age-old belief that "if it's more expensive, it must be better", browse ebay and I'm sure you'll find it in a price up your alley. :)

Reaction score
I am not really price oriented in that sense, I just want the best possible quality for the lowest possible price. Seems like Sage Launch is a good choice. I just placed an order for the Launch last week, got a sweet sweet deal! $120 for a brand new 5wt, 4 piece!:D Looks like I'm hitting the waters this weekend!

gjcordray

Reaction score
I own both. They are completely different rods in my eyes. The Fli is a lot faster. For the price, I like them both. I really can't spend much more than $300 on a rod at this point. I got my Fli on closeout for $175, so I felt I got a great rod at a great price. Sounds like the Launch deal you got was great as well. I think you'll enjoy it as long as the action fits your casting style, which it probably will.