Orvis Access Tip Flex vs Fenwick Aetos vs ???

haziz

Reaction score
I already have medium and medium fast rods in the #5 line weight. I am looking for a fairly inexpensive fast rod, and am considering the above rods. This would be to aid with casting on freshwater, mainly east coast rivers, mainly while fishing for trout. The Access is a long discontinued Orvis rod that can sometimes be found at a deep discount. The Aetos is inexpensive, and seems to have a good reputation. Any other suggestions that I should consider? Ideally keep it under US $300.

Thanks.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have an Aetos 6 weight and I think it is my best casting rod (I don't own any really high-end equipment).

rfb700

Reaction score
Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout
I have an Access in a 7' 4 wt and a Greys Streamflex, which the Aetos was based on(apparently just rebranded), in a 9' 5wt. Two different beasts in the rod weights and lengths I grant you, but I did not really like the Access. It was tough to cast accurately in close(at least for me). Having said that, it was decent on a gusty day cutting the wind.

The Greys was everything the hardy Zenith was, to me at least. If they haven't changed up the Aetos from the Greys rod it would be what I'd pick.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Rather than collecting different action profiles of 5 weights, have you considered looking into a good 6wt?